Help identifying an Acorn city-building game

subjects relating to classic games for the archimedes and risc pc
dueltmp_cecdr

Help identifying an Acorn city-building game

Post by dueltmp_cecdr »

I'm trying to remember a city-building game that I had on Acorn (Likely, RISC OS 3) in the early 90s (I'd guess somewhere around 1992-1995).

I wasn't even 10 when this out, and memory is likely fallible, but here's what I remember:
  • It was a city-building game with a very "industrial" feel (you definitely needed to build "square" power stations)
  • The manual had images of the buildings you could build (in my brain the manual was glossy and darkly coloured)
  • To get into the game, you had to enter words from the pages/sentences of the manual (this was not like the score boards that you needed for Sim City)
Any ideas what game this could be? Is it possible that the only game that fits is Sim City and I'm just misremembering?

Hopefully someone has a better memory than me -- thanks!

Dueltmp
paulb

Re: Help identifying an Acorn city-building game

Post by paulb »

dueltmp_cecdr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:31 pm I'm trying to remember a city-building game that I had on Acorn (Likely, RISC OS 3) in the early 90s (I'd guess somewhere around 1992-1995).
Not a particularly educated guess, but could it have been Global Effect?

"Global Effect demo", Acorn User, Christmas 1995.
dueltmp_cecdr

Post by dueltmp_cecdr »

Ah, paulb, you super-star =D> ! That is definitely it!

Does anyone have a copy of the manual knocking around?
SToS

Post by SToS »

dueltmp_cecdr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:19 pm Does anyone have a copy of the manual knocking around?
Is the Amiga/CD32 one any good?
https://amiga.abime.net/games/view/glob ... ct#manuals

Or even the DOS version?
https://d1.myabandonware.com/f/cgh/Glob ... DOS_EN.pdf
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

dueltmp_cecdr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:19 pm Does anyone have a copy of the manual knocking around?
If you need it to bypass the protection, due to a bug you can simply hit ENTER on the early release version.

ADFFS also removes manual based protection from virtually every game, so you could grab the !Run replacement from !ADFFS.Obey/zip and try that.

If your version is an original and different to either of these, you can also email me an ADF created with !ADFFS so I can add it to the archive and look at patching it.

Return to “32-bit acorn software: classic games”