Hello from Ireland

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
RetroBOFH

Hello from Ireland

Post by RetroBOFH »

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster!

I started out with a ZX81 around 4 or 5, when my older brother got his Electron! A few years later I inherited the Electron with a Plus 3 when he headed off to college. We'd an Acorn computer club in Dublin at the time and I got to play around with Beebs and Arcs, even borrowing them to take home for a few weeks at a time. The Plus 3 died back in the 90s but the Electron is still going strong with an ElkSD. I moved on to an Amiga and eventually PCs but always kept a soft spot for Acorn in my heart.

About 2 years ago I picked up a Beeb nice and cheap, it was a Model A that had been upgraded to a B and figured it would be a nice project to get up and running, but when I opened it up it was like nothing I'd seen before!

Before powering up for the first time, I re-capped the PSU and to my surprise, when I powered it on, it booted up just fine. I added a User Port SD Card adapter but the MMFS Rom wasn't detected when I plugged it into a free slot on the main board, but when I tried it in the expansion card it was picked up and worked fine!

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea what the expansion card plugged into the ROM socket is or how it works. In addition to the socket, it's also wired to IC72, D4/5 and S12. If anyone can shed any light on it I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm hoping to pick up a PiTube to play around with some of the co-processors I always dreamed about from the 90s after seeing them in Acorn User. Either way, I can finally play Elite, Frak! and Revs again the way they were meant to be played :D
Multiwizard

Re: Hello from Ireland

Post by Multiwizard »

Hi,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

A very interesting beeb you have... =D>

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)
tricky

Post by tricky »

Welcome, lost like a real work horse :)
I can't read the number, is that ram in the top left?
I'm not surprised that they added the heatsyncs with all that extra power usage, it probably gets quite toasty :) I wonder if that expansion was originally external.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Welcome to the Forum, RetroBOFH . . . Enjoy . . .

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Welcome, RetroBOFH. :D
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
RetroBOFH

Post by RetroBOFH »

Thanks for the welcome everyone :)
tricky wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:36 am I can't read the number, is that ram in the top left?
It's a 74LS154N, a Decoder/Demultiplexer for the ROM expansion board I assume.
tricky wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:36 am I wonder if that expansion was originally external.
When it arrived it was "stuck" on with some Pritt Stick Pads which I assume were from the 80s as they'd lost all adhesion and the board was just loose inside.

There's also something installed in IC78 which I'm not quite sure what it is:

Again, any insight would be appreciated. There was also an EXMON II ROM on the expansion board. Unfortunately the previous owner had passed away so I wasn't able to get any more information as to what he used it for or what all the modifications were, only that he "worked in computers".
danielj

Post by danielj »

RetroBOFH wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:57 am There's also something installed in IC78 which I'm not quite sure what it is:
Welcome to the forum. That's a 1770 Disc interface. Rather more versatile than the original 8271 based one. You can also tell it's a 1770 interface as you've got DFS 2.26 listed. The 8271 DFSs you'd commonly see are 0.90 and 1.2something.

d.
RetroBOFH

Post by RetroBOFH »

danielj wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:24 am That's a 1770 Disc interface.
Thanks, that makes sense alright, this stuff is slowly coming back to me after 30+ years! :D

Return to “introduce yourself”