New: fully documented source code for Lander

subjects relating to classic games for the archimedes and risc pc
MarkMoxon

New: fully documented source code for Lander

Post by MarkMoxon »

I am delighted to present my latest project: the first-ever fully documented and annotated disassembly of Lander on the Acorn Archimedes.

Lander.png
Lander.png (7.51 KiB) Viewed 1330 times

As you all know, Lander was the very first game released for the ARM platform, and is arguably the only game ever written explicitly for the original ARM1 processor (there are famously no MUL instructions in there). And, of course, it's the second bona fide classic from the genius of David Braben, as this is the game he wrote next after his astonishing work on Elite.

I will be adding a number of deep dives to the site over the coming weeks, but for now, I hope you enjoy the results, which you can see here:

https://lander.bbcelite.com

As always there is also a GitHub repository containing fully buildable source code that you can play with:

https://github.com/markmoxon/archimedes-lander

I've used vasm to assemble the code, but I wanted the source to be as close to the original style as possible (which I assume would have been the BBC BASIC assembler given that the Zarch source in sirbod's videos is in that format). So I've added a simple Python pre-processor to convert the Acorn-style source code into vasm-compatible code on-the-fly that vasm can then assemble into the final game binaries. It works pretty nicely.

Note that this is a first draft of the commentary and there are definitely some areas that I haven't explained well and there will be mistakes. Still, I hope you enjoy exploring the insides of Lander as much as I have!

Mark
spanners

Re: New: fully documented source code for Lander

Post by spanners »

Sweeet!
davidb

Post by davidb »

Very nice! :D

Looking forward to reading more about the game as you expand the site.
iomanoid

Post by iomanoid »

Beautiful!! (Just waiting for Mazhar to turn up and ask about sound now :wink:)
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

Next up: a teletext Beeb version? :lol: :twisted:
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

Cybershark wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:33 pm Next up: a teletext Beeb version? :lol: :twisted:
Ha, yeah, don't give me ideas. :wink:

Though I do genuinely wonder whether Lander could be tweaked to run in an ARM co-pro in a Beeb, sending graphics commands to the BBC Micro over the Tube instead of saving them into bin-sorted graphics buffers. Because then we could have the following:

https://archive.org/details/AcornUser06 ... 4/mode/1up

I mean, how amazing would that be? :shock:

Mark
iomanoid

Post by iomanoid »

Hahaha! :lol: That’s vicious =D>
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

spanners wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:03 pm Well, Virus runs on the Speccy... https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/5 ... trum/Virus
That is true! It's amazing. I thought that was an April Fool's joke when I first saw it - I guess that the Acorn User article was closer to reality than they thought!

I've always fancied finding an actual use for the ARM1 co-pro on my PiTube, though a native Beeb version would be even cooler. Think that might be a challenge for the real 6502 wizards out there…

Mark
jms2

Post by jms2 »

This is brilliant! I have found your other game disassemblies really interesting and revealing, but in those cases I more or less understood the hardware of the underlying machine. Although I've had Archimedes machines since about 1990, I have never really had the same connection to the hardware and never grasped what kinds of tricks the games were using. So this new project is super interesting for me. :D
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

This is fascinating. Thank you Mark for all of the amazing information you are publishing, and in a wonderfully readable and browseable format.
dpsharp

Post by dpsharp »

Amazing effort, well done and thank you for sharing it with us!

From working through the codebase did you get a feeling for how hard it would be to increase the visible play area or optimise the frame rate per the improvements being attempted on Zarch? (viewtopic.php?t=10313)
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

Thank you for all the kind words, everyone! It means a lot when people are interested in this little niche of ours. :D
dpsharp wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:59 am From working through the codebase did you get a feeling for how hard it would be to increase the visible play area or optimise the frame rate per the improvements being attempted on Zarch? (viewtopic.php?t=10313)
Good question! I don't know anything about the graphics code that's used in Zarch, but from what I've read in that thread it looks very similar to Lander, so things like increased landscape area and faster triangle plotting should improve things in pretty much the same way (there are no doubt improvements in the Zarch code compared to Lander, but it's unlikely to be radically different).

While I write the deep dives I'm planning to keep an eye out for hard-coded values for things like row and column counts on the landscape, and I may try to pull them out into configuration variables so that the landscape size could theoretically be changed. I'm not sure how possible that is, but it's definitely worth a go.

It's early days, really - first I have to write down what I know so I don't forget it, and hopefully then it will be easier to answer this question!

Mark
garfield

Post by garfield »

Great attention to detail. Excellent to see assembly source for Archimedes games becoming available (whether decompiled, or new projects).
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

Fantastic work Mark! =D> =D> =D> Thank you for continuing your immense investigative journeys. They are always a ton of fun to read and most illuminating.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

kieranhj wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:47 pm Fantastic work Mark! =D> =D> =D> Thank you for continuing your immense investigative journeys. They are always a ton of fun to read and most illuminating.
Thank you Kieran! This is why I had to park 3D Elite for a bit; that's next on the list after the deep dives for Lander are done.

Talking of which, here's one I just added on the 3D landscape algorithm:

https://lander.bbcelite.com/deep_dives/ ... scape.html

It's more clever David Braben maths. Enjoy!

Mark
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

dpsharp wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:59 am From working through the codebase did you get a feeling for how hard it would be to increase the visible play area or optimise the frame rate per the improvements being attempted on Zarch? (viewtopic.php?t=10313)
I've managed to increase the size of the visible play area. It's a bit slower, obviously, but is still flyable on an ARM3 (just about).

large1.png

large2.png

I've pulled out the landscape size as configuration variables, so it's pretty easy to change (there's only one tweak needed to the code beyond setting the landscape sizes, and that's a two-line fix to the tile-colour routine to let it cater for the greater depth). Turns out Lander was written with landscape flexibility in mind!

If you want to build this version yourself, then it's in the big-landscape branch of the repository:

https://github.com/markmoxon/archimedes ... -landscape

or if you just want to cut to the chase, you can download it here:

https://lander.bbcelite.com/versions/bi ... Lander.zip

Incidentally, does anyone know of an Archimedes emulator that lets you run the machine at the full speed of the modern host, rather than capping it to, say, an ARM3 or A5000? It would be fun to see this running quickly...

Mark
Last edited by MarkMoxon on Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
james

Post by james »

That looks amazing!
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

MarkMoxon wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:15 pm Incidentally, does anyone know of an Archimedes emulator that lets you run the machine at the full speed of the modern host, rather than capping it to, say, an ARM3 or A5000? It would be fun to see this running quickly...
Will it run under RPCEmu recompiler? That goes pretty darn fast...
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

baz4096 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:53 pm
MarkMoxon wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:15 pm Incidentally, does anyone know of an Archimedes emulator that lets you run the machine at the full speed of the modern host, rather than capping it to, say, an ARM3 or A5000? It would be fun to see this running quickly...
Will it run under RPCEmu recompiler? That goes pretty darn fast...
Hmm, I've never managed to get that part of RPCEmu working - it just sits there with the RISC OS 48MB banner, doing nothing, mocking me. Not even sure what it's supposed to do, to be honest; the interpreter version works fine, so I've always stuck with that.

Mark
SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker »

Have you configured it for StrongARM? That's the only CPU the recompiler works with.
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

SarahWalker wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:17 pm Have you configured it for StrongARM? That's the only CPU the recompiler works with.
Ah, that will be it. I just did the “run it straight out of the box” thing… thanks Sarah!

Mark
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

MarkMoxon wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:27 pm
SarahWalker wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:17 pm Have you configured it for StrongARM? That's the only CPU the recompiler works with.
Ah, that will be it. I just did the “run it straight out of the box” thing… thanks Sarah!

Mark
The recompiler version of RPCEmu now works, thank you!

Unfortunately neither the original !Lander nor big-landscape !Lander do anything other than show a black screen on either version of RPCEmu, so I guess it just isn’t RPC-compatible in the first place. Lander works OK on 3.11, but not on 3.5+.

Possibly not that surprising, looking at all the hard-coded screen addresses in the original? I’ve not done any assembly coding for 3.5 and up, so this is all new to me…

Mark
spanners

Post by spanners »

Looks like screenBank1Addr/screenBank2Addr need to be calculated using the result of OS_ReadVduVariables 149.

D.
timw

Post by timw »

ArcEm seems to run quite fast, compiled from the 2012 v1.50 source on x64 linux - 220+ MIPS reported here by !ARMSI, though the original Lander only looks to be running about two or three times as fast as it would on an ARM2 machine (maybe inaccurate vsync timing?)

Thanks for the super interesting articles!

Tim
dpsharp

Post by dpsharp »

MarkMoxon wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:19 pm Possibly not that surprising, looking at all the hard-coded screen addresses in the original? I’ve not done any assembly coding for 3.5 and up, so this is all new to me…
Wow! Looks great with the larger landscape, really pleased to see it so easy to adjust.

As for making it 3.5+ compatible, take a look at Jon hacking the Zarch source code to make it compatible with more modern versions of RISC OS/hardware on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyUWmdPfJhM&t=458s. Some of the routines he's editing look remarkably like the ones in Lander! :lol:
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

dpsharp wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:30 pm
MarkMoxon wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:19 pm Possibly not that surprising, looking at all the hard-coded screen addresses in the original? I’ve not done any assembly coding for 3.5 and up, so this is all new to me…
As for making it 3.5+ compatible, take a look at Jon hacking the Zarch source code to make it compatible with more modern versions of RISC OS/hardware on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyUWmdPfJhM&t=458s. Some of the routines he's editing look remarkably like the ones in Lander! :lol:
Yeah, those videos have been interesting for this disassembly. But I'm not sure I'm up for modernising Lander so much as documenting how it works. My heart is still in RISC OS 2, to be honest! They lost me when they dropped the spring-bindings from the PRMs... :D

Mark
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

MarkMoxon wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:29 am Yeah, those videos have been interesting for this disassembly. But I'm not sure I'm up for modernising Lander so much as documenting how it works.
There's a few bugs in the Zarch code, such as an STM^ which may or may not have come over from Lander. The code is largely the same though...ie an undocumented mess.

You'll see my progress on the Zarch hacker thread, but I've done things like use MUL / MLA, replace the triangle routine and fill routines, I've also added a quadrilateral routine for the landscape. There's all sorts of analytic graphs in that thread to accompany the changes.

Regards running Lander quicker, provided you've fixed the STM^ bug if it exists, it should run on a modern machine (Pi etc) under ADFFS at 1000+fps. You probably just need to wrap the !Run with *GOARM3JIT 0 / *GOARM3JIT and possibly add a *ADFRemapVideoMemory 13 160 if the screen address is hardcoded. eg. a !Run with:

Code: Select all

ADFRemapVideoMemory 13 160
GOARM3JIT 0
<run Lander>
GOARM3JIT
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

sirbod wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:15 pm Regards running Lander quicker, provided you've fixed the STM^ bug if it exists, it should run on a modern machine (Pi etc) under ADFFS at 1000+fps.
Thank you Jon! I'll be giving that a go. Lander doesn't contain any ^ instructions, so hopefully that bug is unique to Zarch.

And thank you for your super-detailed analysis of all that amazing optimisation work you've done for Zarch. Absolutely incredible stuff, very inspirational. It's all well beyond my coding skills - I think I'm better at documenting the mess than fixing it!

Mark
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

MarkMoxon wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:57 pm And thank you for your super-detailed analysis of all that amazing optimisation work you've done for Zarch. Absolutely incredible stuff, very inspirational. It's all well beyond my coding skills - I think I'm better at documenting the mess than fixing it!
I just wish I could release it.

Given your documentation skills, perhaps you could figure out how to up the frame rate and keep everything in sync...its eluded me so far as there's so many hard-coded values for time and rotation.

Return to “32-bit acorn software: classic games”