Poorly IBM 300GL - capacitors?

classic non-acorn hardware, software & languages
Boydie

Poorly IBM 300GL - capacitors?

Post by Boydie »

I'm currently resurrecting/upgrading an old IBM 300GL, late 90s/early 00s.

After fitting a PIII-550 (and upgrading the BIOS to cope) it's started to struggle when installing/booting XP...

When starting from cold, it starts to boot XP (just about getting as far as the XP splash screen), then reboots. It repeats this cycle, taking progressively longer to crash, untilt eventually it successfully loads. Then it restarts (no BSOD) at random intervals thereafter.
It's better behaved with a PII-350, but I wouldn't claim it's completely stable.

It never happens under DOS and MEMTEST86 can run for hours without issue, so a RAM fault is less likely. Removing all extra boards, minimal RAM etc doesn't help.

I'm guessing (hoping) the likely culprits are three 560uF capacitors, made by Chhsi - this would have been around the time of the time of the capacitor plague and this brand was notorious.

Most of the other caps are Nichicon/Rubycon. They all *look* okay, so is there likely to be any benefit in changing these pre-emptively, bearing in mind the increased potential for me doing something wrong? There are 5 1000uF Nichicons near the CPU slot and one near the RAM slots (presumably something to do with power to CPU/RAM respectively?) - again, any likely point?

Similarly, some of the other, smaller caps are Chhsi, but only 10-22 uF - are these worth changing, in view of the brand?
HomeLate

Re: Poorly IBM 300GL - capacitors?

Post by HomeLate »

Boydie wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:10 pm I'm currently resurrecting/upgrading an old IBM 300GL, late 90s/early 00s.

After fitting a PIII-550 (and upgrading the BIOS to cope) it's started to struggle when installing/booting XP...

When starting from cold, it starts to boot XP (just about getting as far as the XP splash screen), then reboots. It repeats this cycle, taking progressively longer to crash, untilt eventually it successfully loads. Then it restarts (no BSOD) at random intervals thereafter.
It's better behaved with a PII-350, but I wouldn't claim it's completely stable.

It never happens under DOS and MEMTEST86 can run for hours without issue, so a RAM fault is less likely. Removing all extra boards, minimal RAM etc doesn't help.

I'm guessing (hoping) the likely culprits are three 560uF capacitors, made by Chhsi - this would have been around the time of the time of the capacitor plague and this brand was notorious.

Most of the other caps are Nichicon/Rubycon. They all *look* okay, so is there likely to be any benefit in changing these pre-emptively, bearing in mind the increased potential for me doing something wrong? There are 5 1000uF Nichicons near the CPU slot and one near the RAM slots (presumably something to do with power to CPU/RAM respectively?) - again, any likely point?

Similarly, some of the other, smaller caps are Chhsi, but only 10-22 uF - are these worth changing, in view of the brand?
I have the same 300GL and yes, the same three 560uF capacitors and these go bad. I only changed these three as the other capacitors were still looking good.
It's been a while since I switched it on but it was running fine a few months ago. I check capacitors in systems that I own from that Era. I only replace capacitors when necessary.
Boydie

Post by Boydie »

Changing the usual 3 suspects didn’t help much. Still kept crashing at random/refusing to install Windows.

So I changed the 5 1000uF caps next to Slot 1, on the assumption that power to the CPU was flaky and these supplied it.
After that, installed XP first try, with the P3 fitted.

These caps were Nichicon and looked fine. Presumably dried out electrolyte rather than leaky.
HomeLate

Post by HomeLate »

Boydie wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:35 pm Changing the usual 3 suspects didn’t help much. Still kept crashing at random/refusing to install Windows.

So I changed the 5 1000uF caps next to Slot 1, on the assumption that power to the CPU was flaky and these supplied it.
After that, installed XP first try, with the P3 fitted.

These caps were Nichicon and looked fine. Presumably dried out electrolyte rather than leaky.
Great to hear it's working fine after you changed the other capacitors too. I guess I have to put it on my list for a recap.

Return to “other vintage hardware, software and languages”