Hello from Sheffield

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
jezd

Hello from Sheffield

Post by jezd »

Hi there.

Quick intro, I tried the Facebook retro pages and did not like (all it needs in one moron to ruin things) :)

Boy of the 80's and so the interest sprang from then, had ZX81 and then a BBC Micro model B, wrote a few games and even submitted some too - nothing published but I may share my letters and code on here later, it would be a shame if nobody ever saw my 17yo gaming contributions 8)

Interestingly I went to Bradfield School in Sheffield and both Antony Crowther (2 years ahead) and Ben Daglish (1 year ahead) were just ahead of me, we all owed a huge thanks to Mr Warby the Library teacher who gave us so much space to develop our interests and access to the computers (even allowed me to take home their Sharp MZ80K one holiday in 1980, who does that? amazing trust). On reflection I think its fair to say I was just on the wrong side age wise to make an impact in the micro world as the PC was already making its impact even in 1986 when I left college.

Anyway, not sure what happened to my old kit, I guess it must have been sold and so in the late 90's and early 2000's I started to collect them again inc kit from Acorn, Sinclair, Sharp, Newbrain, Oric and Commodore too. Pre having kids money did not seem to be an issue and so the collection grew and grew to the point it just got boxed up and sat in storage form the next 20 years.

I am now on a journey of discovery and most likely selling off too, having one of each seems normal but having 5-10 of everything is too much.

All the best

Jez
Multiwizard

Re: Hello from Sheffield

Post by Multiwizard »

Hi Jez,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)
tricky

Post by tricky »

Welcome, when I moved to Devon, the school had an Altair with the switches and lights, but that didn't really grab me. Soon after they got one of the first mz80k machines and my fascination with computers started. I left before they got BBC's but I still went back to help with the BBC's and new computer club.
I look forward to seeing you games from back then. A friend an I wrote the unpublished Jeltron but I don't have much else from back then, or rather I do but my disc drive stopped working and I haven't found the tapes.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Welcome to the forum, Jez . . . Enjoy . . .

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Welcome, Jez. :D
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Welcome Jez!
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5, YARRB + video noise killer