Issue 1 Acorn Atom with vented case

emulators, hardware and classic software for atom + system machines
jezd

Issue 1 Acorn Atom with vented case

Post by jezd »

New member post :D

Many years ago (late 90's) I went through a phase of collecting various items from my youth including various BBC, Electron and Atom kit - things got out of hand I am am now reviewing what I have and a few surprises have popped up not least that I have 7 Acorn Atoms, 3 of them including original brown box packaging (I had no idea I had so many).

Anyway, I wanted to share a few pictures of one of them as it seems rather unique in terms of the bottom case (I cant find any other examples like this), its an issue 1 Acorn Atom so early model, still in original brown box with polys, but what stands out are the holes in the base of the casing - they seem original, holes are clean with no markings, they are perfectly uniform in the layout with no signs of drilling or being home made - trying to understand if this was possibly a proto type mould or if anyone has seen this before?

Thanks for any feedback.

Jez
Attachments
20240107_234817965_iOS.jpeg
20240107_234736937_iOS.jpg
20240107_234724706_iOS.jpg
Multiwizard

Re: Issue 1 Acorn Atom with vented case

Post by Multiwizard »

Ohhh a Issue 1 Atom... =D> :-D =D>

Very very nice, that one will fit my Atom collection nicely, I will pm my shipping address... :mrgreen:

Many thanks for these pics... =D>

Enjoy your Atom(s)... :D

Btw. what's connected to this (red square)...

Greetings, Wim... :-)

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
atom1.jpeg
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hi Jez
jezd wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:25 pm - things got out of hand I am am now reviewing what I have and a few surprises have popped up not least that I have 7 Acorn Atoms, 3 of them including original brown box packaging (I had no idea I had so many).
As a moderator, I think it best that you don't let anyone other than me have your address, then only I can raid err, no one will think about raiding you for all those lovely Atoms :lol:

Welcome :D

Mark

PS if you want to, there is a specific introduce yourself sub-forum :wink:
roland

Post by roland »

Not only the holes are very rare, the issue 1 is extremely rare. I’ve never seen a complete Atom issue 1 before. In September 2019, Alex van Someren showed us his blanc issue 1 board at the Abug meeting in Cambridge.

I wonder what the differences are between the issues. I can guess the difference between issues 4 and 5, but the others….?
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
IanS

Post by IanS »

Multiwizard wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:55 pm Btw. what's connected to this (red square)...
Probably the LED showing on the front, possibly just for power on.
atom_led.PNG
oss003

Post by oss003 »

Yes, issue 1 boards are very rare .....
I haven't even seen schematics of an issue 1 board.

Greetings
Kees
jezd

Post by jezd »

oss003 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:35 pm Yes, issue 1 boards are very rare .....
I haven't even seen schematics of an issue 1 board.

Greetings
Kees
I've checked the box which also contains a couple of first edition manuals too, but not the full schematic drawing - I do have 3 schematic drawings with other atoms and there seems to be two variants but nothing saying Issue 1 from what I can see.
jezd

Post by jezd »

roland wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:23 pm Not only the holes are very rare, the issue 1 is extremely rare. I’ve never seen a complete Atom issue 1 before. In September 2019, Alex van Someren showed us his blanc issue 1 board at the Abug meeting in Cambridge.

I wonder what the differences are between the issues. I can guess the difference between issues 4 and 5, but the others….?
I will do some decent photos at some point, from my quick scan I have this Issue 1 and then a few each of the 4 & 5 issue models.

Various boards and mods seem to have been done to some, inc BBC BASIC CONVERSION CARD in one.
jezd

Post by jezd »

1024MAK wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:09 pm Hi Jez
jezd wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:25 pm - things got out of hand I am am now reviewing what I have and a few surprises have popped up not least that I have 7 Acorn Atoms, 3 of them including original brown box packaging (I had no idea I had so many).
As a moderator, I think it best that you don't let anyone other than me have your address, then only I can raid err, no one will think about raiding you for all those lovely Atoms :lol:

Welcome :D

Mark

PS if you want to, there is a specific introduce yourself sub-forum :wink:
:D :D thanks, when collecting becomes a problem - thankfully having kids put an end to the spending spree about 20 years ago
jezd

Post by jezd »

Multiwizard wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:55 pm Ohhh a Issue 1 Atom... =D> :-D =D>

Very very nice, that one will fit my Atom collection nicely, I will pm my shipping address... :mrgreen:

Many thanks for these pics... =D>

Enjoy your Atom(s)... :D

Btw. what's connected to this (red square)...
:D I suspect power, I will post better images later on, a big part of my issue is each computer comes with manuals, boxes, expansion boards, roms, software, packaging - its a slow process to keep things as they were and not rip kit apart, these items need to be preserved so its going to take me a year to process at least

Return to “acorn atom and acorn system series”