UHF modulators

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
iomanoid

UHF modulators

Post by iomanoid »

Why are they always rusty, in every single computer that uses them? (So much so that the Amiga folks even sell stickers to stick on top of them to hide it). Were they made out of some kind of specially oxidising unobtanium?
1024MAK

Re: UHF modulators

Post by 1024MAK »

Not all of them are rusty.

The plating on them is not that thick, hence if they are stored in an area where it gets damp, or condensation may form, because it's one of the larger metal items, that's where the water will end up. Hence the rusting.

Mark
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

As Mark says: Not all of them are rusty . . . the metal is just tin plated steel - designed to do the job and no more - and I doubt if life expectancy was in the design goals. I think, considering the age and probable working environment, they've lasted a good long time! I wonder if you realise how much moisture is in the air in a usual household - let alone if they've been stored in a loft!! They can be cleaned-up but you'd need to be well dedicated to do that e.g. CDO (that's OCD written by someone dedicated to correctness :lol: )

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
HHH

Post by HHH »

Definitely not ALL rusty and this isn't even my shiniest one :)
Attachments
ufhm.JPG
ufhm.JPG (17.21 KiB) Viewed 56 times
4~ x Beebs, 1 x A3020, 1 x A3010, 1 x A3000, 1 x Master 512, 1 x Master Turbo, 1 x Master Compact, I could stop, If I wanted to...

Return to “general”