Saw this passing by, but not mine...

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
Multiwizard

Saw this passing by, but not mine...

Post by Multiwizard »

I wanted to start this new Topic because from time to time we sometimes see unknown thingies passing by on the Internet which we are curious about what it actually is... :-k

Looks a bit like a satellite receiver without LNB input... :shock:

This also seems to use some kind of authorization cart & network... :?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_2902.JPG
IMG_2903.JPG
james

Re: Saw this passing by, but not mine...

Post by james »

Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

james wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:07 am Is it a NetStation? http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... ation.html
Btw.

doesn't it matter if the NC is missing underneath the word ACORN at the right?...

Other type/version or so?...

Thanks in advance.
paulb

Post by paulb »

Multiwizard wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:51 pm doesn't it matter if the NC is missing underneath the word ACORN at the right?...
I imagine that the NC branding disappeared as soon as Larry Ellison, having decided he'd got enough concessions out of Microsoft, ditched the whole initiative. Meanwhile, Acorn, and subsequently, associated companies that acquired Acorn's hardware inventory, were apparently pushing these machines into education as more manageable devices with lower "total cost of ownership". In other words, they outlived the NC initiative by a few years.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I have one of these which also has slightly different branding:

https://www.beebmaster.co.uk/32bit/NC.html
Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

paulb wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:14 pm
Multiwizard wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:51 pm doesn't it matter if the NC is missing underneath the word ACORN at the right?...
I imagine that the NC branding disappeared as soon as Larry Ellison, having decided he'd got enough concessions out of Microsoft, ditched the whole initiative. Meanwhile, Acorn, and subsequently, associated companies that acquired Acorn's hardware inventory, were apparently pushing these machines into education as more manageable devices with lower "total cost of ownership". In other words, they outlived the NC initiative by a few years.
Thanks for this... :-)

Return to “general”