Copy games renamed

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

vexorg

Copy games renamed

Post by vexorg »

I've always wondered about the need to rename the games that were clearly copies of well known games.
Was there a risk of suing them writers?

It seemed odd as game was the same regardless of the name. It's the content that would be more valuable than the name.
David
tnash

Re: Copy games renamed

Post by tnash »

Iirc the argument was that names were trademarked, but only the code was copyrightable even if the game was very similar. So copying the full code would be breach of copyright, reimplemnting it might not despite identical results!

Also worth bearing in mind that changing the name keeps you off the radar of the rights-holder...
bob147

Post by bob147 »

I don't think you can copyright protect a concept, although I'm no expert. You can protect pacman but you can't protect 'game where you go around a maze collecting dots and running away from ghosts'.

Its a grey area though because I'm imagining someone today copying the exact level layouts and physics from the latest mario game just with a different name, graphics and sound, surely nintendo would go after it anyway.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

bob147 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:59 amIts a grey area though because I'm imagining someone today copying the exact level layouts and physics from the latest mario game just with a different name, graphics and sound, surely nintendo would go after it anyway.
That's it exactly, it just seemed a bizarre loophole if it was the case that you can rename and avoid any court case.
Even in music, just having a song similar results in handing over most of the royalties.
David
tricky

Post by tricky »

I think one of the original law suits was about the game looking the same but not being as good and some people would then avoid the original. I'm not sure if they win or not, but snapper was originally pacman and had ghosts and pacman!
I'm sure Sega sued Simpsons something for being a crazy taxi ripoff, but could only do it based on there being a hand over the car telling you which way to go which was too close to a pointer over the car in their game!
bob147

Post by bob147 »

I think as @tnash alluded to, it was a sufficiently small market that as long as you didn't openly challenge them by using their name, the big publishers were happy to just let it fly.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”