ABUG Dev night #72, Thursday 8th February 2024, 7pm - 10pm (GMT)

for the announcement (and discussion) of confirmed physical and virtual ABug events ONLY
BigEd

ABUG Dev night #72, Thursday 8th February 2024, 7pm - 10pm (GMT)

Post by BigEd »

On Thursday there will be an ABUG Dev night, at 7, on zoom. (Dev Nights run on Thursdays, every three weeks. If you don't have the zoom coordinates, send a PM or ask in this thread. We don't publish them!)

- keep it interesting, or otherwise keep it brief
- keep it Acorn until 9pm
- encourage everyone who wants to, to join in, and to have the space to join in.
- Feedback always welcome, on the night or afterwards

Please use the chat, or PMs in the chat, to update me on anything, like the passage of time, or someone who has something to say. And let me know if you'll be needing to leave early.

Come and discuss your Acorn-related dev projects, whether they be creating things, breaking things, or digging into things. Or even if your project is stuck... and if you haven't got a project, come along to hear about what's going on. Because somewhere, surely, someone has been doing something mighty interesting.

Hardware, software, tooling, emulators, games - all kinds of development, debugging, reverse engineering and investigation are on topic.

For a flavour of a typical meeting, see this previous thread.

For a bit of a heads-up nearer the time, subscribe to this thread using the spanner gadget below. I'll bump this thread the day before and on the day, if I remember.

(We're no longer sending out calendar invitations, so be sure to manage your own calendar!)

(ABUG Dev night #72, Thursday 8th February 2024, 7pm - 10pm (GMT))
((when?) ABUG dev night on zoom, Thursday at 7pm (GMT))
Last edited by BigEd on Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
TimoHartong

Re: (Tomorrow!) ABUG dev night on zoom, Thursday at 7pm (GMT)

Post by TimoHartong »

Hi I hopefully will be in and out because we have our weekly club meeting in Delft, NL tomorrow. Perhaps an idea to publish a list with dates.
BigEd

Re: (Tonight!) ABUG dev night on zoom, Thursday at 7pm (GMT)

Post by BigEd »

Hope we do see you, even if briefly!

We're pretty much maintaining a very regular three-week cycle, which is good because it's hit-and-miss with every other regular event! (The only exception was in late December, for the holidays.) Anyhow, should be easy to add to a calendar as a recurring event.
BigEd

Re: (On now!) ABUG dev night on zoom, Thursday at 7pm (GMT)

Post by BigEd »

We're on!
TimoHartong

Re: (On now!) ABUG dev night on zoom, Thursday at 7pm (GMT)

Post by TimoHartong »

The internet was very bad where I was. Pitty I heard some very interesting things when it did work
BigEd

Re: ABUG Dev night #72, Thursday 8th February 2024, 7pm - 10pm (GMT)

Post by BigEd »

Maybe it's a luxury, but these days i have a data plan on my phone (£6 a month, 2GB) which works quite well to fill the gaps. Anyhow, hope to see again you before too long! And I hope your event went well.
spanners

Post by spanners »

I found my line drawing bug Ed. I had an int where a float was required.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

It had to be something! Not a casting problem then, as such.
spanners

Post by spanners »

Since the effect is small (rounding away less than a pixel) it only shows up if you try to animate the lines very gradually. You can see them jumping.

Here's the (working) BASIC version: https://gist.github.com/dpt/925725822b9 ... 2af9d7c362 (originally from https://rosettacode.org/wiki/Xiaolin_Wu ... #BBC_BASIC).
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Oh, thanks - I've not come across Wu's algo before, or else I've completely forgotten. "Xiaolin Wu's line algorithm was presented in the article "An Efficient Antialiasing Technique" in the July 1991 issue of Computer Graphics, as well as in the article "Fast Antialiasing" in the June 1992 issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal... Wu's algorithm is comparatively fast, but is still slower than Bresenham's algorithm. The algorithm consists of drawing pairs of pixels straddling the line, each coloured according to its distance from the line"

Return to “acorn & bbc micro user group (abug) events”