LM1889N Composite Video?

classic non-acorn hardware, software & languages
jpagen

LM1889N Composite Video?

Post by jpagen »

Hi

After recapping my BBC B and Acorn A3000(usual battery damage) with help from Stardot, I have been trying to repair my childhood Videomaster Star Chess game.https://retroordenadoresorty-blogspot-c ... _tr_pto=sc

I re-tuned to the analogue RF signal on an old TV (which I know used to work with the console), I can just about see a garbled picture (black and white only). Sound is working fine through the console speaker.

The console has an LM1889N IC https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet ... 1889N.html in the top right and I thought it may be possible to pull a composite signal from this(assuming the fault is later in the circuit). I would be happy with black and white to start with but this is way beyond my knowledge. Does anyone know if this would be possible and how I may go about it?

I tried replacing the LM1889N but that made no difference.

Appreciate any help!
1024MAK

Re: LM1889N Composite Video?

Post by 1024MAK »

Would need the schematic circuit diagram, as there are a number of configurations for the LM1889N. It has different sections that can be used differently depending on the requirements.

Mark
jpagen

Post by jpagen »

1024MAK wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:08 pm Would need the schematic circuit diagram, as there are a number of configurations for the LM1889N. It has different sections that can be used differently depending on the requirements.

Mark
OK thanks for responding. There does not appear to be any circuit diagrams already so I would need to start from scratch. It is only a single sided PCB but there is a soldered shield which I will need to remove. I will need to find some suitable circuit diagram apps....there seem to be quite a few for Linux but will take me some time to plot out the whole circuit board!
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

For Linux, for making schematics I use gschem, part of gEDA (link). It does take a little getting used to. But once you have the hang of it, it's quite quick and easy.

Although when reverse engineering, I draw on paper using a propelling pencil, but with the chips drawn in pen.

Only when I'm happy that I have recorded the circuit correctly do I redraw in in gschem.

Mark
jpagen

Post by jpagen »

1024MAK wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:27 pm For Linux, for making schematics I use gschem, part of gEDA (link). It does take a little getting used to. But once you have the hang of it, it's quite quick and easy.

Although when reverse engineering, I draw on paper using a propelling pencil, but with the chips drawn in pen.

Only when I'm happy that I have recorded the circuit correctly do I redraw in in gschem.

Mark
Thanks for the link and advice. This will take some time!

Return to “other vintage hardware, software and languages”