You know you've been emulating too much ...

discuss bbc micro and electron emulators (including mame) here!
james

You know you've been emulating too much ...

Post by james »

... when you no longer remember that "*" is shift-8 but your fingers instinctively reach somewhere just to the left of [Enter]

:?
paulb

Re: You know you've been emulating too much ...

Post by paulb »

james wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:36 pm ... when you no longer remember that "*" is shift-8 but your fingers instinctively reach somewhere just to the left of [Enter]
Well, on a Norwegian keyboard, * is just to the left of Enter/Return. The challenge involves the extra keys on modern keyboards, and I have to say that although emulators like JSBeeb are a wonder, my inability to redefine the key layout impairs my enjoyment of those emulators.

In fact, one reason I got into contributing to emulators in a minor way was to be able to use layouts that are sufficiently different to the UK keyboard layout. The problem was that any mapping that seemed "logical" to emulator authors risked being unusable to users of those other layouts. Classic ElectrEm provided a nice keyboard redefinition dialogue that I used to define "logical" and "physical" mappings for the Norwegian layout. (This led to a brief exchange with Robert Schmidt of "The BBC Lives" fame, if my memory serves me correctly.)

More recently, I updated Elkulator to provide a keyboard dialogue that shows the Electron keyboard as opposed to the Beeb one, also tidying up the behaviour. Such small modifications go a long way to improving usability, particularly being able to redefine Break as something other than F12 which behaves specially (and irritatingly) in various Linux desktops.
tnash

Post by tnash »

this is why I have alias @.="ls" in my bashrc file!
james

Post by james »

tnash wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:51 pm this is why I have alias @.="ls" in my bashrc file!
Genius!
bob147

Post by bob147 »

For me it's when you go to hit a function key to quick save on real hardware :lol:

Return to “8-bit acorn emulators”