Elite with a Bitstik

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

GreyAreaUK

Elite with a Bitstik

Post by GreyAreaUK »

Can someone remind me if there’s something you need to activate from the pause menu to fully use a BitStik with Elite?

Basic joystick and fire is working, but twist for throttle isn’t. My BitStik is old, so that might have failed but I half remember having to do something, and Google isn’t being forthcoming.

This is the version that comes with the GoTek by default, and it’s the standard ‘B’ version.

Many thanks.
Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity.

Mastodon: @GreyAreaUK@mastodon.social
Bluesky: @greyareauk.bsky.social (ask me for an invite, you never know!Apparently it's open to all now!)
DutchAcorn

Re: Elite with a Bitstik

Post by DutchAcorn »

According to the manual pressing “B” when the game is frozen toggles bitstik mode (disc version only).
Paul
GreyAreaUK

Post by GreyAreaUK »

DutchAcorn wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:02 pm According to the manual pressing “B” when the game is frozen toggles bitstik mode (disc version only).
Hmmm. Not working on my version. I launch, pause the game, hit ‘B’ but there’s no beep, and unpausing sees nothing changed - no throttle. Might be the version I’m using, maybe. I’ll have to find a version that works on the B+ from somewhere else.

Thank you though - appreciated.

Bluesky: @greyareauk.bsky.social (ask me for an invite, you never know!Apparently it's open to all now!)
DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn »

Bitstik toggle does not give a beep. I’m not sure about throttle, I believe the Bitstik mode reverses up and down.
Paul
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

DutchAcorn wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:21 pm Bitstik toggle does not give a beep. I’m not sure about throttle, I believe the Bitstik mode reverses up and down.
Bitstik mode reverses up and down, and also lets you twist the central stick to change speed. It’s a nice touch!

Mark
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

GreyAreaUK wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:03 pm Might be the version I’m using, maybe. I’ll have to find a version that works on the B+ from somewhere else.
Bitstik is supported on the BBC Micro disc version, the 6502 Second Processor and BBC Master versions, but not the BBC Micro cassette version or Elite-A. For the unexpanded B+, the disc version is probably the best one to try.

Mark
GreyAreaUK

[Solved] Re: Elite with a Bitstik

Post by GreyAreaUK »

@DutchAcorn
@MarkMoxon

Thank you both - solved it. And the answer is "I was an over-tired numpty". What I think happened was I paused it, hit 'B' expecting to hear a beep but didn't, pressed 'B' again just in case (still no beep because 'B' doesn't do that), un-paused and saw no change.

So yep, I toggled it on, then immediately off again!

Right. Now for some trading :)

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”