Any tips for me (a newbie) to get started coding basic and assembly?

bbc micro/electron/atom/risc os coding queries and routines
Rob_hawk

Any tips for me (a newbie) to get started coding basic and assembly?

Post by Rob_hawk »

[Split from Japanese Military Chess for the BBC Micro]

Cruxinc wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:41 pm do you have any tips for me(a newbie) to get started coding basic and assembly?
Hi,

Glad you’re enjoying your new BBC and kit that goes with. Two and a half years ago I started to learn to code in Basic from scratch and have been moving on to assembly of late. I have attached images of the books that I found really helpful, I’ve listed them below in the order that I went through them as there’s kind of a natural progression.

Once I’d worked through the BASIC books I then got hold of the Beebug magazines and started working through games that I liked the look of. I found those by Jonathan Temple and Matt Eastmond great fun to learn from. I started with a shooter, then a maze type game and then moved on to a couple of Jonathan Temple’s platform games “Ebony Castle” and “Tombs of Tutenkhamen”. I also found “Bouncer” an Arkanoid type game good fun to learn from and also Cubert but they were from personal preference. In between learning what these games did and how I wrote my own code to test my understanding of concepts from the games.

Beebug Magazines to Download:

http://8bs.com/beebugmags.htm

Beebug Games to checkout via BBCMICRO.CO.UK before you get stuck in:

https://bbcmicro.co.uk/index.php?rt_R=& ... bug&sort=b

Books I read and found helpful in the order I used them:

1. BBC MIcro User Guide / this is used a LOT and is always open!

2. BBC Basic - R.B.Coates / Basic stuff but a good one to get going from nothing along with the User Guide

3. The BBC Micro Book - Jim McGregor and Alan Watt / More advanced Basic, sound and graphics I found a good next step

4. BBC Micro Gamesmaster - Kay Ewbank and Mike James / This got me used to putting things on screen and moving it around plus more.

5. Structured Programming - Roy Atherton / I think this has helped me write tidy programmes that have good structure to them (well not bad!)

6. Creative Graphics -John Cownie / Lots of knowledge on graphics etc

7. BBC Micro an Expert Guide - Mike James / Lots of information at an understandable level for me when I was new about how the machine works.

Then on the assembler which is still very much work in progress for me:

1. Assembly Programming Made Easy - Ian Murray / A clear and understandable intro into assembly

2. Assembly Language Programming for the BBC 2nd Ed - Ian Birnbaum / A good grounding to build knowledge of how you do many of the things you can do in Basic in Assembler and more.

3. Creative Assembler - Jonathan Griffiths / Assembly games and getting started down this path.

4. Advance User Guide / for reference

My goal has been to work through this lot and especially the Beebug Magazine games and then start to learn how to convert some of the ones I like to assembly. I’m still a very big work in progress but it’s great fun. I’m also experimenting in a similar way on my A3010 as well with BASIC and C.

I hope this helps a little.

Cheers

Rob
Attachments
IMG_0616.jpeg
IMG_0613.jpeg
IMG_0611.jpeg
IMG_0612.jpeg
IMG_0615.jpeg
IMG_0614.jpeg
IMG_0610.jpeg
IMG_0609.jpeg
IMG_0608.jpeg
IMG_0607.jpeg
Cruxinc

Re: Japanese Military Chess for the BBC Micro

Post by Cruxinc »

Rob_hawk wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:05 pm
Cruxinc wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:19 pm
Rob_hawk wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:36 pm

oh wow! thank you so much for this info! will definitely be very useful. today i typed in the “brian” program in usernguide
thanks again!
My pleasure and I hope that this helps you get a huge amount of fulfilment out of your new machine!!!

Have a great week.

Cheers - Rob
thank you! i will probabuy the first basic book you said about.
have a great week! :)
-Elliot :)
Lover of all things acorn, but especially the 8 bits!
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - amx mouse -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

Rob_hawk wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:05 pm
Cruxinc wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:19 pm
Rob_hawk wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:36 pm

oh wow! thank you so much for this info! will definitely be very useful. today i typed in the “brian” program in usernguide
thanks again!
My pleasure and I hope that this helps you get a huge amount of fulfilment out of your new machine!!!

Have a great week.

Cheers - Rob
bit out of pocket but if you had any spares if these would you be willing to sell? thanks!
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - amx mouse -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

Cruxinc wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:19 pm bit out of pocket but if you had any spares if these would you be willing to sell? thanks!
I just have the single copy of these but they are available as PDF’s as well.
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

Rob_hawk wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:08 pm
Cruxinc wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:19 pm bit out of pocket but if you had any spares if these would you be willing to sell? thanks!
I just have the single copy of these but they are available as PDF’s as well.
ok thanks for the tip :)

Return to “programming”