Exile - manual or guidance?

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

wemb

Exile - manual or guidance?

Post by wemb »

Decided to try Exile - have heard about this game for decades and have played it a few times in emulators - which, of course, have save states.

Never tried playing it on a real BBC till now so... err... How do you save? I can see there's a save option on the main menu, but non of the instructions I've googled indicate how you get back to the main menu. Obviously I'm missing something - which, I assume - is listed in the actual manual - but haven't get found a decent copy of it. Anyone able to point me inthe right direction?

Thanks
Dave
wemb

Re: Exile - manual or guidance?

Post by wemb »

Ah - Just found a scanned copy of the manual and read the page where it covers how to save the game and :o that's... different. Well - it's completely bonkers in a slightly wonderful way.

Got to wonder how far the developers got along the coding process before they realised there were going to have to make the user do a cold boot and load the game loader back in in order to same some portion of non-overwritten ram.

That must have been a fairly difficult decision to come up with a solution that radical. I can't remember of ever hearing anything like this before. :shock:

Dave
bob147

Post by bob147 »

I've been spoilt by emulators, on real hardware I'll be thinking 'time for a break, I'll just save it here... oh'. Exile is particularly inventive.
james

Post by james »

wemb wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:44 pm Ah - Just found a scanned copy of the manual
For the benefit of anybody else in the same predicament as you - where did you find it?
wemb

Post by wemb »

In the 11th gif of a zip file of individual scanned pages I found on an insecure webpage last updated in 2003 that's full of otherwise broken links.

Also, presumably, with a sign on the frontpage instructing me to 'Beware of the leopard'.

http://www.exile.plus.com/download/exile-manual.zip

The file exl_20-21.gif is the one containing the details of the 'unusual procedure' needed to save the game.

I may turn this into a proper pdf if I get time.
.. update - I had the time - see attached. Apologies for the low resolution - the source gifs above also of equal quality. It seems to have been ocr'd properly though.

Dave
Attachments
exile-manual.pdf
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 43 times
strawberrytau

Post by strawberrytau »

See this thread started by me. Lots of helpful tips and advice there:

viewtopic.php?p=233385#p233385
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

wemb wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:06 am Also, presumably, with a sign on the frontpage instructing me to 'Beware of the leopard'.
Had the document in question been buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters?
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

That is a lot of keys
David

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”