RISC OS South West Show 2024 24th February

listings of other non-ABug events, proposals relating to unconfirmed events and general event chat
RobC

RISC OS South West Show 2024 24th February

Post by RobC »

The RISC OS South West Show is on the 24th of February at the Arnos Manor hotel in Bristol.

Is anyone thinking of attending? Richard Brown has emailed me and asked if I want a stand but I'm not 100% sure whether I'll be able to attend due to work commitments.

I am happy to coordinate things with Richard if other StarDot members are interested in having a stand or two and to take suggestions for things that we could exhibit.

There is usually a charge for stands though - I can't remember exactly how much it was last year but I think it was a few tens of pounds.
Cruxinc

Re: RISC OS South West Show 2024 24th February

Post by Cruxinc »

hi there. this looks interesting!
do you know if it would be possible to exibit my bbc micro?
thanks a lot :)
have a good day
-elliot
-Elliot :)
Lover of all things acorn, but especially the 8 bits!
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - amx mouse -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:
RobC

Post by RobC »

Cruxinc wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:09 pm hi there. this looks interesting!
Yes - I'm sure they'd be happy for you to do so and I can let Richard know if you wish? There is a charge for stands but you may be able to split the cost by sharing your stand with other members.

Anyone else thinking of attending?
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

RobC wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:25 pm
Cruxinc wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:09 pm hi there. this looks interesting!
Yes - I'm sure they'd be happy for you to do so and I can let Richard know if you wish? There is a charge for stands but you may be able to split the cost by sharing your stand with other members.

Anyone else thinking of attending?
that would be good but for now not yet, not 100% sure if dates will allow me to come. what does this event usually involve?
thanks a lot have a good day. :)
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - amx mouse -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

it would be also great to know the cost for a table, as i am 15 and have a tiny budget, most of which would be spent on things for this event. thanks a lot! :)
tricky

Post by tricky »

I'm waiting for diary confirmation from the "boss".

Cruxinc, double long shot!
!f we do go, we'll be driving up from Exeter and you are welcome to have a lift if you are on the way. We may not be going home afterwards though, so it might be one way.
RobC

Post by RobC »

Cruxinc wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:10 pm it would be also great to know the cost for a table, as i am 15 and have a tiny budget, most of which would be spent on things for this event. thanks a lot! :)
I can't remember exactly but I think I paid £30-£40 last year. If I'm able to go, I'd happily let you share with me for free but I won't know if I can make it until early next month.

Or are there any other Stardotters who would be interested in having a stand?
helpful

Post by helpful »

Cruxinc wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:10 pm it would be also great to know the cost for a table, as i am 15 and have a tiny budget
You can email the organiser (richard at riscosdev.com) to see what deal can be done, as I'm sure they'll be very pleased to have new faces along :-)
RISC OS User Group Of London - https://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - https://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
tricky

Post by tricky »

The London one used to be free if you weren't selling as it added some extra interest to the show, but then was £5 each, the normal entry fee but they did have more spare space to fill.
Where we were last time, there was plenty of foot fall as it was between the main room and the lecture room.
They seemed a different crowd, but maybe the London group has just got used to us 8bitters with our old computers :)
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

wow the prices are quite a lot! thabks for all the info and the kind offers but after talking to parents i probably wont be able to make it. thanks a lot everyone:)
tricky

Post by tricky »

For anyone else going, check if there is a home match on the day and don't drive past the stadium on your way home :oops:
helpful

Post by helpful »

tricky wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:39 am The London one...
My main job for the ABUG next weekend is to update the London Show website with the date and details of our new venue (in Harrow, NW London), then work out how many stands we will have space for. I won't be inviting stand requests until after Wakefield, let's get through one at a time!

Bryan.
rodders

Post by rodders »

I'm planning to go.
Any details of exhibitors or talks yet?
BBC Model B 32k ICL issue 3, WE ROM/RAM board, Speech Processor, TurboMMC, PiTubeDirect
BBC Master 128
RiscPC 64MB+2MB 200MHz StrongArm, PC486 DX100
RiscPC basket case - now up and running
Acorn A3020 being restored
helpful

Post by helpful »

AIUI of the main two organisers, one has been unwell and the other has had a family illness to deal with, so the publicity and website updates have rather fallen behind :-(

But the show is definitely still going ahead!
RobC

Post by RobC »

Just a reminder that this is on Saturday.

I've managed to obtain two stands and am happy to cover the cost so if any other forum members are interested in exhibiting, please get in touch with me and let me know what kit you'd like to bring.

Along with a machine with my VideoNula, I'm hoping to bring my Torch Unicorn and probably an Acorn Communicator so, if you've ever wanted to see Unix running on a Beeb or Acorn's only 16-bit machine, please come along on Saturday :D
RobC

Post by RobC »

*BUMP*

This is tomorrow - any Stardotters going to come along?

If you do pop in, please come and say hello :D
RobC

Post by RobC »

It was good to meet a few Stardotters at today's show. Thanks to all who came along - hope you enjoyed it.

In between chatting with visitors, I managed to get some time to convert a couple more Econet utilities to run on the Communicator (discovering an error in the OPCOM documentation in the process) and made some progress compiling a few things for my Unicorn.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Sorry we couldn't make it this year and sorry I missed your unicorn :O
mfaxford

Post by mfaxford »

RobC wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:42 pm It was good to meet a few Stardotters at today's show. Thanks to all who came along - hope you enjoyed it.
It was good to meet you earlier and have a chat about various beeb things.
BBC Master: Now with PiTube and Pi1MHz. Disc Drives and Cub Monitor needing some checking and attention
Risc PC: needing some work to cleanup
rodders

Post by rodders »

Congratulations to the organisers and exhibitors at yesterday's event.
My first Risc OS show. Very interesting it was too and good to chat to people with a shared interest in RISC OS.
BBC Model B 32k ICL issue 3, WE ROM/RAM board, Speech Processor, TurboMMC, PiTubeDirect
BBC Master 128
RiscPC 64MB+2MB 200MHz StrongArm, PC486 DX100
RiscPC basket case - now up and running
Acorn A3020 being restored

Return to “other events + general event chat”