Windows 64bit and Save States (Elkilstor and ElectrEm)

discuss bbc micro and electron emulators (including mame) here!
Steven666v2

Windows 64bit and Save States (Elkilstor and ElectrEm)

Post by Steven666v2 »

I’m a complete noob so bear with me.

I have recently changed from windows 7 to windows 11 via a new decommissioned laptop from work and loading discs seems to no longer work (crash or kick out) in Elkulator and also save states no longer work, save or reload (again crash or freeze).

ElectrEm also seems to be completely bricked and doesn’t work at all.

I downloaded MAME but that seemed rather user unfriendly but I might have to revisit it.

What has gone wrong here??? User error?
Last edited by Steven666v2 on Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob147

Re: Windows 64bit and Save States

Post by bob147 »

For what it's worth I use BeebEm, B2 and BeebJit on Windows 11 (upgraded from 10 which is what the machine was bundled with) without issue including saving and loading. I realise these aren't Electron emulators but it seems a bit unlikely that they'd all start falling apart like this simply because of a Windows 11 upgrade given 11s similarity to Windows 10 / 8 / 7 under the hood.

Maybe you're missing a prerequisite if it's a fresh install? Alot of older software relies on this redistributable if it's using direct x 9 and I don't think it comes with Windows 11 by default.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downloa ... px?id=8109

Not that that would explain the save states issue, is there any kind of error message when you attempt to use them?

EDIT - huh, Elkulator does freeze for me on attempting to load a state (but it does let me save one). This is the latest version (1.0) for windows.
Coeus

Post by Coeus »

It maybe worth putting ElectrEm in the subject line if that is the emulator you are having trouble with as, if there is a maintainer who is on here it may alert them.

How did you come by the executable? Was it part of a release from GitHub or a website or did you compile it yourself?
Steven666v2

Post by Steven666v2 »

bob147 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:07 pmNot that that would explain the save states issue, is there any kind of error message when you attempt to use them?

EDIT - huh, Elkulator does freeze for me on attempting to load a state (but it does let me save one). This is the latest version (1.0) for windows.
Loading a save states just closes the program in ElectrEm. It freezes Elkulator.

Return to “8-bit acorn emulators”