BeeBS the BBS hosted on a Beeb is Live!

comms devices, modems, serial links, terminal software, BBS's, memories from the past, Prestel/Micronet etc
vela025

Re: BeeBS the BBS hosted on a Beeb is Live!

Post by vela025 »

Updates 21st Jan 2024
  • New 3 min Inactivity Timeout (fixes problems with old timer)
  • Changes in appearance of Email/Message Editor
  • Moved back to FozzTexx' TcpSer
Not too much to report this week (been busy with DIY projects around the house), however the old activity timer I had written has been removed (as the one that is should be in OBBS was missing from the archived copy). And replaced with a different approach; it seems to work, although one telnet client (not sure which) instantly forces a timeout when <CR> is pressed...need to investigate which character is actually being recieved.

The email and message composer has had a slight update in appearance:
Send Message.png
I dabbled with Go4Retro's fork of TcpSer however it would frequently drop connections just after a connection had been established. Since moving back to FozzTexx' fork these issues have stopped. A new milestone was reached this evening with new user on the system for over an hour reading messages and posting a message without the system falling over!...I almost feel I could describe it as stable :lol:

Also sorry if you couldn't get on earlier today, I'd forgotten to renew the DDNS setup! :oops:
BBC Master 128, PiTubeDirect, RGB2HDMI, Twin 5 1/4" & GoTek, BeebSCSI, Retroclinic Datacentre (E), Oki Microline 280, Sony TCM-737, Miracle WS2000 Modem, WE Mouse. BeeBS BBS - http://beebs.ddns.net
vela025

Post by vela025 »

5th Feb 2024 Updates
  • Web client courtesy of CCL4
  • Improved Mode 7 Support
  • Full colour ANSI support
  • Simcity Competition
Over the past few weeks Lord Hickory has adapted his existing viewdata web portal so that it BeeBS can be access with full mode 7 support from the browser, it can be accessed here: http://fish.ccl4.org/js-beebs/.

I have began to create custom Mode 7 menus for the system, thus far only 4 but getting there!
BeeBS Main Menu Mode 7
BeeBS Main Menu Mode 7
Electron Downloads Mode 7
Electron Downloads Mode 7
In a moment of insanity I've started to create full ANSI pages that can be viewed like more "modern" BBS using a Terminal client like Syncterm, Muffin Term etc. It takes around 7 seconds to load a menu; and I can't work out how to speed this up! :lol: Maybe I could preload the menu files in to sideways ram, and load them from there?
BeeBS Main Menu ANSI
BeeBS Main Menu ANSI
And finally this February the BeeBS competition is based on the amazing Simcity port by Peter Scott. The idea is to create the city with the largest population and highest mayoral rating. The manual and a cheat file are in the Competition Downloads section that can be used to increase city funds! Along with a 90K population city from the MRM archive uploaded to *. by @Lurkio. Just upload your BBC/Electron Simcity save file to the Competition Uploads area.
BBC/Electron Simcity
BBC/Electron Simcity
Thanks to BeebMaster and JGH for helping me with some of my teletext woes this week! :D
BBC Master 128, PiTubeDirect, RGB2HDMI, Twin 5 1/4" & GoTek, BeebSCSI, Retroclinic Datacentre (E), Oki Microline 280, Sony TCM-737, Miracle WS2000 Modem, WE Mouse. BeeBS BBS - http://beebs.ddns.net
Soruk

Post by Soruk »

Using Matrix Brandy, I've put together a Windows native client here --> http://brandy.matrixnetwork.co.uk/testi ... rminal.zip

The source is in the Matrix Brandy git tree, on the dev-main branch, in examples/Mode7/

It doesn't support uploads yet, downloads however work fine.
Matrix Brandy BASIC VI (work in progress) The Distillery (another work in progress) Note Quiz (New educational software for the BBC and modern kit)
BBC Master 128, PiTubeDirect (Pi 3B), Pi1MHz, 5.25+3.5in dual floppy.
vela025

Post by vela025 »

Update 24th March 2024
  • Messages have past the 300 mark
  • Moved to Mode 135
  • Speed Improvements
  • Graffiti Wall
  • Split OBBS in to Modules
  • Completed all ANSI/Mode7 Menus
Thanks to some great help from WrightStuff, JGH and Beebmaster BeeBS menu loading times are now much improved, almost as quick as loading directly from RAM and only using a 256byte buffer...amazing!
Welcome Mode 7
Welcome Mode 7
Welcome ANSI
Welcome ANSI
A small graffiti wall has been added at the end of each session to optionally leave a message for the next user (storing the 5 most recent messages).
Grafitti Wall Mode 7
Grafitti Wall Mode 7
ANSI still to do so ASCII for now
ANSI still to do so ASCII for now
OBBS has been split in to modules, moving the download procedures to their own program (which as a user you hopefully won't notice), however this does free up a not insignificant amount of memory for future improvements (auto wrapping message editor and possibly indexed message reader) this also paves the way for a couple of door games I've been developing (a space trader in the vein of a much simplified Trade Wars 2002 and a periodic general knowledge quiz).
Purchasing items from Space Dock
Purchasing items from Space Dock
Purchasing/Trading Items with Planet (prices and items randomly generated each day)
Purchasing/Trading Items with Planet (prices and items randomly generated each day)
I think all top level and second level menus have now been created in Mode 7 and ANSI...although I may have missed one; let me know if you find one!
Mode 7 Messages
Mode 7 Messages
ANSI Messages
ANSI Messages
All connection details in my signature, bye for now!
vela025

Post by vela025 »

Hey all,

Just a quick message to say that BeeBS is now up 24/7 ... (most of the time :wink: )

Hope you're enjoying the bank holiday!
Ed
vela025

Post by vela025 »

Morning all,
Back from holidays so BeeBS is back online.
:D
brianmartin_2001

Post by brianmartin_2001 »

That's great ! did the cat walk all over the keyboard again then ?
I imagine a bunch of frustrated callers itching to get back on?

Just to add,
Night Owl is now up this early afternoon, did some ART last night
and now added.
Sysop of (the Night Owl BBS) nightowlbbs.ddns.net:6400

Return to “communications”