BeeBS the BBS hosted on a Beeb is Live!

comms devices, modems, serial links, terminal software, BBS's, memories from the past, Prestel/Micronet etc
vela025

BeeBS the BBS hosted on a Beeb is Live!

Post by vela025 »

Hi All,

BeeBS the BBS running on my BBC Micro is up and ready for callers. It has undergone some light testing so please let me know if you encouter bugs. I'm adding new content all the time so leave a message on the board and pop back anytime. I'll post any feature and content updates to this thread.

Connection Options:

From a real Beeb
Point your favouite Terminal (not viewdata) emulator to beebs.ddns.net:6502 (8n1, 9600 Baud, Mode 7 and ensure Filtering is Off). I'd recommend either Commstar or Termulator (Commstar works well with downloads).

From a PC (Windows/Linux/MacOS)
Any terminal emulator that supports vt100 will work, I recommend Syncterm. Address: beebs.ddns.net Port: 6502
When asked during the sign up process you DO want linefeeds and your computer DOES NOT support BBC Colour graphics.

Emulation
It does not work well with BeebEm, you will be missing the last few characters of the most recent line sent which is usually the menu input option; it will still work you just won't be able to see what you're typing. Pressing ? will update the screen. If you cannot see what you're doing and just need to log off, repeatedly pressing Q will achieve this.

How to use
:!: At the Menu Prompt you need to type ? or press Enter to see the options :!:
:!: If you want to leave a message on the boards to everyone, type ALL when prompted :!:

All the sections that you have access to including Message Boards, Special Interst Groups, Private Email and downloads (on a Beeb) should be working, if you do wish to dowload please read the information on the download page (instructions are for Commstar). If you need to change your terminal setting this can be done from the <T> option on the main menu. There is a slight quirk with detecting Caps Lock on a PC via Syncterm (it thinks it's on when it's off and vice versa).

BeeBS is using the archived version of OBBS from this forum by Rob O'Donnell which I have modified. BeeBS isn't going to be online 24/7 so if you'd like to connect just check the status at http://beebs.ddns.net which has the schedule I'll try to stick to. There's only one "line" so connections will timeout after 2 min of inactivity, you should recieve a message if you try to connect but the board is engaged. If you can, please log out using the log off menu options (either quick or long). If you'd like to cancel an operation (for example downloading a file) the keyboard shortcut is ctrl-k.

Enjoy!
Messaging Menu on a Beeb
Messaging Menu on a Beeb
Messaging Menu using Syncterm
Messaging Menu using Syncterm
Last edited by vela025 on Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:59 pm, edited 8 times in total.
BBC Master 128, PiTubeDirect, RGB2HDMI, Twin 5 1/4" & GoTek, BeebSCSI, Retroclinic Datacentre (E), Oki Microline 280, Sony TCM-737, Miracle WS2000 Modem, WE Mouse. BeeBS BBS - http://beebs.ddns.net
Cruxinc

Re: BeeBS the BBS hosted on a Beeb is Live!

Post by Cruxinc »

this is incredible! well done!
-Elliot :)
Lover of all things acorn, but especially the 8 bits!
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - amx mouse -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:
vela025

Post by vela025 »

Cruxinc wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:16 pm this is incredible! well done!
Thanks Cruxinc, I can't take much of the credit, Rob O'Donnell did a great job in the first place creating OBBS in 1984, but I'm pleased I've made it hayes compatible, Y2K compliant, ported it to ADFS and got a timeout feature working.

Be sure to log in and leave a message when you can!
BBC Master 128, PiTubeDirect, RGB2HDMI, Twin 5 1/4" & GoTek, BeebSCSI, Retroclinic Datacentre (E), Oki Microline 280, Sony TCM-737, Miracle WS2000 Modem, WE Mouse. BeeBS BBS - http://beebs.ddns.net
brianmartin_2001

Post by brianmartin_2001 »

Major congrats on this Ed ,

I can highly recommend folk to try out BeeBS.
It's excellent we have Message boards on a retro Acorn machine again.
I will visit again tonight .

Great to see this come to fruition and on OBBS,
the first & original BBC Micro BBS program ! Terrific to have another real,
retro Acorn BBS around.

Brian
Last edited by brianmartin_2001 on Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sysop of (the Night Owl BBS) nightowlbbs.ddns.net:6400
brianmartin_2001

Just a thought Cruxinc ,

Might be an idea to invest your pocket money on a Wi-modem
or a RPI with the right software and get your Model B online.

Then you could start exploring all the BBSes
around the world with your Beeb. Plus now, you have two
UK Acorn BBSes you can log into as well.
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

brianmartin_2001 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:11 pm Just a thought Cruxinc ,

Might be an idea to invest your pocket money on a Wi-modem
or a RPI with the right software and get your Model B online.

Then you could start exploring all the BBSes
around the world with your Beeb. Plus now, you have two
UK Acorn BBSes you can log into as well.
Interested… how much do they usually go for? Thanks for informing me! :D
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - amx mouse -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:
brianmartin_2001

Well there's a number of them, you would need to get a modem for around 30-40 quid.
and then get a lead to fit to your Beeb which shouldn't be expensive.
These two items work together perfectly.

https://www.cbmstuff.com/index.php?rout ... duct_id=60
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124672712455

There are other modems although you would have to again get a lead made up
to fit it, depending on the signals on the pins of that particular modem.
There have been several modems talked about on Stardot. This here is a UK made one
but I don't have a link to a ready made lead for it. But I am sure your dad could
help you sort one out.

https://www.simulant.uk/shop/retro-vint ... compatible

here's a couple of videos of a wi-modem working on a Beeb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFkFPfOnGWo&t=4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7h8UPUbAkA&t=1s

There are other ways, using a Raspberry Pi or a PC/laptop as your modem using
a program called TCPser, which could be a cheaper way for you but a wi-modem is probably the easiest.

Brian
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

=D> I'm working on fixing the issues in BeebEm, so it was really useful to be able to connect and give it a test just now.

I was doing the same a few weeks ago, connecting to The Night Owl and had a good chat with Brian.

Here's a screenshot of my session, using Commstar:

BeebEm-BBS.png
Atom / BBC B with Music 5000/4000/2000 / Electron / A3000 / Master 128
brianmartin_2001

It's really great you are working on a reliable method to access with Beebem Chris.
This will really help any Retro board in increasing their visitor traffic, even those just curious or otherwise.
Enjoyed our chat when you were on Night Owl. I noticed you tried again another time
subsequently but were unsuccessful. If you ever need private time access to Night Owl
just PM me and I will organise. I am sure Ed would do similarly with BeeBS now it is up & running.

cheers
Brian
marrold

Post by marrold »

vela025 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:39 pm ported it to ADFS
Nice to see another BBC based BBS come online and great work on the improvements and porting it to ADFS should make it a bit more usable with the increase in disk space.

I'll login and look around next time its running.
brianmartin_2001 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:11 pm Might be an idea to invest your pocket money on a Wi-modem
Watch this space... I've sent some PCBs off to get manufactured in the hope of creating a cheapish WiFi modem available in the UK. I'll keep you posted.
vela025

Post by vela025 »

chrisn wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:16 pm =D> I'm working on fixing the issues in BeebEm, so it was really useful to be able to connect and give it a test just now.
That's great thank you, I caught the last bit of your session when I popped in the room and noticed tcpser log was going crazy with a lot of:

Code: Select all

PARSING NVT COMMAND
Which doesn't seem to happen when connected via a modern terminal emulator. As Brian said let me know if you need it left of for testing at any point.

Cheers,
Ed
brianmartin_2001

Don't want to remove Ed's announcement on BeeBS from the
top of the Forum , but just want to notify all
Night Owl is up ..

Some new Blog posts on the launch of BeeBS included.

cheers
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

brianmartin_2001 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:12 pm Well there's a number of them, you would need to get a modem for around 30-40 quid.
and then get a lead to fit to your Beeb which shouldn't be expensive.
These two items work together perfectly.

https://www.cbmstuff.com/index.php?rout ... duct_id=60
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124672712455

There are other modems although you would have to again get a lead made up
to fit it, depending on the signals on the pins of that particular modem.
There have been several modems talked about on Stardot. This here is a UK made one
but I don't have a link to a ready made lead for it. But I am sure your dad could
help you sort one out.

https://www.simulant.uk/shop/retro-vint ... compatible

here's a couple of videos of a wi-modem working on a Beeb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFkFPfOnGWo&t=4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7h8UPUbAkA&t=1s

There are other ways, using a Raspberry Pi or a PC/laptop as your modem using
a program called TCPser, which could be a cheaper way for you but a wi-modem is probably the easiest.

Brian
thanks for the info! will old original modems (with correct lead) work with this?
as you may know i prefer to use the original tech to the modern!
oh and one last thing, could i use the prestel/ yelexext wedge for this to adapt from modem to beeb?
thanks a lot! :D
julians

Post by julians »

Cruxinc wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:47 am thanks for the info! will old original modems (with correct lead) work with this?
oh and one last thing, could i use the prestel/ yelexext wedge for this to adapt from modem to beeb?
To directly use an 'old school' modem with your beeb, you'll need to be able to connect to the BBS via a telephone call, rather than a TCP/IP connection - I'm sure there are still people out there running BBS's just like they did back in the day.
The Teletext adaptor is for receiving / decoding analogue TV broadcast Teletext and won't help you with this.
The Prestel adaptor, as modems go is fairly limited (speeds, blinking lights, control interface etc) and likely to be more expensive than searching on your favourite online site for a used external RS-232 (not USB) Hayes compatible modem which people would / could / might have used back then if they could afford it - just ignore that it's way more capable than one from ten years earlier, gaze at the beige box with the blinking lights, auto dialling and be amazed at the speeds when limiting it to somewhere betwen 300 and 2400 bits per second...

Julian.
vela025

Post by vela025 »

Update 8th Jan
  • New Atom Download section (work in progress)
  • New Retro Releases section in BBC Downloads (permission has been gained from authors)
  • Chat with SysOp feature removed for now whilst troubleshooting
I'd really appreciate if anyone has a real Beeb they can connect with to connect and let me know how you get on along with how you're connecting (software on the beeb side and the device used). I only have one Beeb which is the one hosting the system (I know the correct solution is to buy more beebs :lol: ) so all I can do is use BeebEm, RPCEmu and Syncterm for testing which all work (apart from BeebEm missing the last line of text, but it looks like that is solved now). A real beeb has connected and has succesfully downloaded files to disc using cp/m transfer, chatted with sysop and left a few messages, however at some point the connection always seems to freeze, but not drop (at both ends) and TcpSer logging output goes a little crazy. I'm trying to isolate the issue but could do with another Beeb/Electron (or any other older hardware) trying to connect to see what happens.

Thanks again,
Ed
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

vela025 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:30 am
chrisn wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:16 pm =D> I'm working on fixing the issues in BeebEm, so it was really useful to be able to connect and give it a test just now.
That's great thank you, I caught the last bit of your session when I popped in the room and noticed tcpser log was going crazy with a lot of:

PARSING NVT COMMAND
Which doesn't seem to happen when connected via a modern terminal emulator. As Brian said let me know if you need it left of for testing at any point.
I was seeing the same, but I'm not sure what's causing it. I just connected again using a more recent tcpser from here, and don't see those messages. I just get one of these lines every few seconds:

2024-01-08 20:07:13:42949857600:INFO:Control Lines: DSR:1 DCD:1 CTS:1 RI:0
2024-01-08 20:07:14:42949857600:INFO:Control Lines: DSR:1 DCD:1 CTS:1 RI:0
2024-01-08 20:07:18:42949857600:INFO:Control Lines: DSR:1 DCD:1 CTS:1 RI:0
2024-01-08 20:07:21:42949857600:INFO:Control Lines: DSR:1 DCD:1 CTS:1 RI:0
I also downloaded a couple of files from the BBC Downloads section.
vela025

Post by vela025 »

chrisn wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:33 pm I was seeing the same, but I'm not sure what's causing it. I just connected again using a more recent tcpser from here, and don't see those messages. I just get one of these lines every few seconds:

2024-01-08 20:07:13:42949857600:INFO:Control Lines: DSR:1 DCD:1 CTS:1 RI:0
2024-01-08 20:07:14:42949857600:INFO:Control Lines: DSR:1 DCD:1 CTS:1 RI:0
2024-01-08 20:07:18:42949857600:INFO:Control Lines: DSR:1 DCD:1 CTS:1 RI:0
2024-01-08 20:07:21:42949857600:INFO:Control Lines: DSR:1 DCD:1 CTS:1 RI:0
I also downloaded a couple of files from the BBC Downloads section.
I didn't save the log, but it looked just like a normal connection on my end too. If you need a copy of a log let me know and I'll save it next time. How did the downloads work out for you? I didn't check just how big the castle of riddles walkthrough was :lol: ! If you did want to cancel a transfer it's ctrl - k.

I've been using the Fozztexx fork from https://github.com/fozztexx/tcpser, but will look into the newer one you've been using and see if that's a good fit. I'm always a bit unsure what arguments to use with it and so have settled on:

-i -tsSiI -i "X3S0=1&C1&S2=128" -l 7 
I don't know if this is causing problems with a real Beeb, but it seems BeebEm worked well for you this evening, a C64 that connected earlier and quite a few Terminal connections have all been ok.

Thanks for all the effort you're putting in to BeebEm! :D
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

I was also using the FozzTexx version before. To use the go4retro version, I downloaded the Windows .exe file https://github.com/go4retro/tcpser/blob ... tcpser.exe and I also had to get the latest cygwin1.dll. It's interesting that you also didn't see those messages and you were using FozzTexx.

The options I've been using are:

tcpser -v 25232 -p 6400 -l 4 -s 9600
The file downloads worked fine, the "How to download page" explains what to do. Castle of Riddles is 1F00 bytes, so not too big for Commstar to buffer!
brianmartin_2001

thanks for the info! will old original modems (with correct lead) work with this?

Julians has pretty much covered your questions there around the Prestel and Teletext adaptors.
Most BBS systems now use the internet as their main communications medium now.
There are some still around that use dialup over the phone (which is authentic retro) but
it costs money for a phone call but its not that much at all if you have the right phone call package.
Examples of dialup systems in the UK are - my own BBS (Night Owl BBS), (Telstar), (Dialup Nights),
(Magnum BBS) and there are others too that are essentially internet based but you can access them through
a gateway phone number . The BBSes I named are also available over the Internet too and are
most commonly accessed that way these days. Dialup with an old modem is for those who really just
like the nostalgic touch , this includes myself. It has a certain magic that you might like.

You'll have much less choice of BBS destinations if you are solely using an old dialup modem but you can
get plenty for a similar price as a wi-modem.

When I was a kid, using a modem blew my mind. They are great fun as long as you don't end up
with a monster phone bill like I did. Much less chance of that these days though.
marrold

Post by marrold »

I've got TCPSer going so I'm waiting in the queue to connect now :D
marrold

Post by marrold »

I managed to connect and it looks great. I'm looking forward to using the messages feature some more.

I was using a BBC Micro Model B with Commstar II and TCPSer running on a Raspberry Pi.

I did get caught out by the line wraps when sending a message but vela jumped in and let me know where I was going wrong. One other observation, messages #19 and #29 seemed to be tagged private but I could read them.

At times the clock displayed by Commstar was getting in the way. It doesn't seem possible to disable it, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
vela025

Post by vela025 »

marrold wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:45 pm At times the clock displayed by Commstar was getting in the way. It doesn't seem possible to disable it, does anyone have any suggestions?
According to manual it seems it's because BeeBS is over 2400 baud. You need to turn off the Lock status in the System Options Menu (F2)
commstarII1.PNG
Commstarii2.PNG
marrold

Post by marrold »

Thanks, I'm not entirely sure that was the issue but it looks much better disabled.
vela025

Post by vela025 »

OBBS Updates 14th Jan
  • Acorn Electron Downloads now has a New Releases Area
  • Swapped from Fozztexx' TcpSer to Go4Retro TcpSer
  • Message Line Editor has returned

The downloads area now has a dedicated Acorn Electron New Releases area, containing games from 0xC0DE and Snuggsy187.

I've swapped to Go4Retro's TcpSer fork in the hope it would solve some of the connection issues that occur seemingly at random, but since swapping over whilst certain issues have improved (no more PARSING NVT COMMAND spamming the tcpser log) there is still the occasinal drop in connection usually caused by my Beeb crashing.

There was a bug in the uploaded version of OBBS which corrupted messages which had been edited by the line editor, this has been repaired.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

vela025 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:15 pm Address: beebs.ddns.net Port: 6502
Connection refused.
vela025

Post by vela025 »

IanJeffray wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:06 pm
vela025 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:15 pm Address: beebs.ddns.net Port: 6502
Connection refused.
Hi Ian,
It's not on 24/7, you can check the status at http://beebs.ddns.net. I'll go and load it up now as I happen to be at home.
Thanks,
Ed
gavinlew

Post by gavinlew »

When I’m feeling better I’ll give this a go from my real Beeb with a wifi modem :)

Would also be happy to build up a machine and leave it on 24/7 and run another uk based machine , always wanted to do this in the 80s/90s
--
Atom | Elk +1,+3,Prime +3
B Issue 4, 7 Econet, Wifi Modem | B+ 64k |
Master, QuadOS, External Datacentre, Econet, Morley Teletext | Compact, Econet
A3010 4Mb, Econet, IDE Podule | Pocketbook I and II
Z88 with Beeblink
vela025

Post by vela025 »

gavinlew wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:48 am When I’m feeling better I’ll give this a go from my real Beeb with a wifi modem :)

Would also be happy to build up a machine and leave it on 24/7 and run another uk based machine , always wanted to do this in the 80s/90s
It would be great to see you there, it's turning in to a lively little community which is great. The only thing stopping me having it up 24/7 is the unknown condition of my PSU so I'll be getting the repair kit from retroclinic. Annoyingly there's also something in obbs/tcpser that makes my beeb crash, althought I'm yet to find what is causing the actual problem...which is infuriating!

Although I did find this on 8bs, but I'm not so sure this is the actual issue I'm encourtering http://8bs.com/submit/subjoin2bbc.htm:
Apparently, some Masters have RS423 hardware which apparently overheats on occasion and sometimes corrupts the bytes passing through the RS423. I have no personal experience of this, but having seen it mentioned in Archive (volume 1, issue 1) I felt that I ought to mention it just in case.
Hopefully see you on BeeBS, it's online now!
gavinlew

Post by gavinlew »

Sounds great :)

How are the inbound IP connections being handled and passed back to the Beeb, I’m presuming this is what the pi/tcpser is handling?
--
Atom | Elk +1,+3,Prime +3
B Issue 4, 7 Econet, Wifi Modem | B+ 64k |
Master, QuadOS, External Datacentre, Econet, Morley Teletext | Compact, Econet
A3010 4Mb, Econet, IDE Podule | Pocketbook I and II
Z88 with Beeblink
vela025

Post by vela025 »

gavinlew wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:37 pm Sounds great :)

How are the inbound IP connections being handled and passed back to the Beeb, I’m presuming this is what the pi/tcpser is handling?
Yeah inbound connetions come in on port 6502 via DDNS which is pointing towards by rpi3, this is running tcpser which is waiting for connections emulating a Hayes modem, when it receives a "call" the data is passed to and from the Master 128 using the RS432 port which is connected via a serial cable to a serial to usb converter plugged in to the pi.

Return to “communications”