Castle of Riddles competition

discuss classic text/graphic adventures for the bbc micro & electron
fuzzel

Castle of Riddles competition

Post by fuzzel »

In order to promote their new text adventure game, Castle of Riddles, Acornsoft, in conjunction with Your Computer magazine, launched a competition whereby the first person to send in a correct entry would receive a trophy worth £700 and £1,500 of hardware and software and two runners-up would receive £400 each of Acorn / Acornsoft products.
Details of the competition are here:
https://www.filfre.net/tag/castle-of-riddles/
Here's an Acornsoft advert which mentions the competition:
Acornsoft Adventures Advert.jpg
There's a picture of the trophy being held by the winner, Peter Voke below (Your Computer - May 1983):
Castle of Riddles Winner Article YC May83.jpg
However, some details of the competition are a bit vague. Has anyone seen the competition entry form which came with the game on its release in February 1983? It's partially shown in this photo:
Castle of Riddles Winner YC Apr83.jpg
I'd also like to know exactly what you had to submit to win the game? Is it simply the password which represents the first letters of each of the six riddle answers discovered in order in the game? If so, is it possible, without actually playing the game, to discover the answers by looking at the listing (the game was in Basic) and maybe working out the order in which they were encountered?
Finally, badges were awarded to the gallant losers inscribed with "I have conquered the Castle of Riddles." Does anyone have a copy of this they could post here?
iamaran

Re: Castle of Riddles competition

Post by iamaran »

Peter Voke, author of the game Dr Who and The Warlord, I assume.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic adventure games”