post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
KarateEd

High Score Challenge - S21 - R10 - Beebchase

Post by KarateEd »

Stardot high score challenge
Season Twenty One: Round 10
Snapper chosen by Venger
Beebchase.png
=====================================================================================
RULES
:arrow: Round Nine starts at 9pm on Monday the 11th of December and ends at 9pm on Monday the 25th of December
:arrow: The aim is to score as many points as possible
:arrow: Post scores and screenshots/photographs in this thread
:arrow: The rules are here
======================================================================================
DISK IMAGE
:arrow: http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=4315
======================================================================================
INSTRUCTIONS
Instructions.png
SCORING
:arrow: Points will be awarded using the following formula.
:arrow: points = (YS / BS * 50) + ((NOP - YP + 1) * (50 / NOP))
:arrow: YS = Your Score
:arrow: BS = Best Score
:arrow: NOP = Number of Players
:arrow: YP = Your Position
HIGH SCORE TABLE
table.png
table.png (9.8 KiB) Viewed 10831 times
Link to Overall High Score Table...http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=27385

Thanks to Galax for the Mode 7 fonts.

Here's a brand new one to try out, looks like we're bikers in this one........Ed ...........
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
KarateEd

Re: High Score Challenge - S21 - R10 - Beebchase

Post by KarateEd »

Someone has to start it off, I guess that'll be me this time...... 20,581
BeebChase.png

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

OK, I'll go next.

27151.PNG
FourthStone

Post by FourthStone »

Hrmmm, feel like I'm chasing ghosts when turning and shooting.

Going to be away for a few weeks over Christmas so won't be submitting anything further this year, hope you all have a lovely holiday and New Years.

Score: 15502
BeebChase_2023.PNG
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

Best wishes, FourthStone. Yes, turning to guide the missiles is a challenge and seems designed to lead you right into a tree. I always crash into the same one! :wink:

43558.PNG
Venger

Post by Venger »

Just had a go and I can't see myself playing this one much. The game's extremely samey and the objective is more about dodging the trees than killing the other bikers. I nearly fell asleep at one point. Nothing really wrong with the game itself, it's just the gameplay is rather dull and monotonous.
Attachments
BC1.png
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

A small improvement......
BeebChase-1.png

Rod C

Post by Rod C »

Venger wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:09 pm Just had a go and I can't see myself playing this one much. The game's extremely samey and the objective is more about dodging the trees than killing the other bikers. I nearly fell asleep at one point. Nothing really wrong with the game itself, it's just the gameplay is rather dull and monotonous.
I wasn't sure about it at first with the apparent simplicity but it's a good challenge, especially as the density of trees increases with each sector. Yes, it's fairly monotonous but I don't find it dull. Hitting the tanks and copters often means you have to skim close to trees while getting the right trajectory on the target.

Got to sector 6. So many trees!

60470.PNG
SidewayRum

Post by SidewayRum »

My first and last BeebChasing.
I could probably reach around 70k, but just by chance and the early minutes doesn't deserve it.

NOTE: there's no reason to aim for anyone, they get hit randomly. I never shot any single copter down. Keep pressed the shoot key and just focus on the vertical area on top of you. If red, steer a small bit. At mid level is a nice game of reflexes, you need to check nearby trees too, but just after become a game of luck, steering can lead you in face of a tree you cannot possibly see. So, no skill to develop here.
beebchase_score.jpg
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

Well, I decided to develop my skills and selectively shot lots of planes and tanks to boost my score but tried to progress through the levels at a reasonable rate. I chased a tank a bit recklessly in sector 2 and hit a tree. After that I was more careful because I wanted to reach sector 6 again but I crashed twice in the sector 5 night stage trying to hit the second rider.

I'm not sure if this game is really suitable for the HSC. If you shoot the riders as quickly as possible to move the game ahead, you will get to the more difficult levels with a much lower score. If you just sit in sector 1 you could stay there for ages and keep picking off tanks and planes. In this game I tried to balance it out but it's a question of what's a reasonable approach.

Do you feel like offering any guidance, Ed?

144587.PNG
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Rod C wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:41 pm Well, I decided to develop my skills and selectively shot lots of planes and tanks to boost my score but tried to progress through the levels at a reasonable rate. I chased a tank a bit recklessly in sector 2 and hit a tree. After that I was more careful because I wanted to reach sector 6 again but I crashed twice in the sector 5 night stage trying to hit the second rider.

I'm not sure if this game is really suitable for the HSC. If you shoot the riders as quickly as possible to move the game ahead, you will get to the more difficult levels with a much lower score. If you just sit in sector 1 you could stay there for ages and keep picking off tanks and planes. In this game I tried to balance it out but it's a question of what's a reasonable approach.

Unfortunately on this one I can't really offer much guidance on it as it's brand new to me.

I think it's great we've got a new game but not so great that it's roots are from a machine I consider inferior to the Beeb in many ways.

I've not discovered the things you have mostly because I've only been to about level 3 or 4 and haven't noticed any abnormalties. I think we're stuck with it for now.......

Nice score Rod... :-)

Venger

Post by Venger »

Rod C wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:41 pm Well, I decided to develop my skills and selectively shot lots of planes and tanks to boost my score but tried to progress through the levels at a reasonable rate. I chased a tank a bit recklessly in sector 2 and hit a tree. After that I was more careful because I wanted to reach sector 6 again but I crashed twice in the sector 5 night stage trying to hit the second rider.

144587.PNG
I got to Sector 6 on my solitary go, where the forest is a bit too dense to be able to really pursue the other bikers. This is one of those games where you get rewarded for staying on the lower levels (even though it's technically not in the spirit of the HSC). It reminds me a little bit of when we played Spy Hunter (the games are totally different but you could technically stay on the boat bit indefinitely to rack up huge scores). It's a difficult one to call.
MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson »

My best score so far.
Attachments
chase.jpg
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

Venger wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:52 pm

144587.PNG
I got to Sector 6 on my solitary go, where the forest is a bit too dense to be able to really pursue the other bikers. This is one of those games where you get rewarded for staying on the lower levels (even though it's technically not in the spirit of the HSC). It reminds me a little bit of when we played Spy Hunter (the games are totally different but you could technically stay on the boat bit indefinitely to rack up huge scores). It's a difficult one to call.

I'd actually prefer to scratch this one if Ed wants to draw another game from the hat.
Venger

Post by Venger »

If I'm being honest, not that it makes much difference, I agree with it being scratched. As long as everyone's okay with that, otherwise it'll just be a war of attrition with who can stay alive for the longest time on the lower levels. Totally up to you though and the rest of the gang, Ed.
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

I've enjoyed playing this so far, although haven't worked out how to aim yet. I can see what you mean about the scoring though... 34545

beebchase.jpg
Atom / BBC B with Music 5000/4000/2000 / Electron / A3000 / Master 128
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Ok folks,

Now is your time to have a say. Those that have played kindly let me know if you'd rather have another game and I'll choose another. We'll play it for 2 weeks and that will take us past Christmas if that's ok.

Let me know 1 hour before we would normally post for a new game, in other words, this coming Monday 8 PM UK time.

Thanks,

klintworth

Post by klintworth »

Not had much time to play this (only once!) butI'm quite happy to choose another! :|
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

I guess due to lack of enough response we'll just finish this one up......

Thanks for responding Paul.

klintworth

Post by klintworth »

KarateEd wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:46 pm Thanks for responding Paul.
And we'll be playing this at our Christmas ABUG on Saturday!! :lol:
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

klintworth wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:22 pm
KarateEd wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:46 pm Thanks for responding Paul.
And we'll be playing this at our Christmas ABUG on Saturday!! :lol:
You got that right.....doh!!!

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Ok, so we did play this at our ABUG which will soon be posted.....and we both got new high scores.....
BeebChase-2.png

klintworth

Post by klintworth »

And here's mine! :lol:
IMG_2744.jpeg
Venger

Post by Venger »

Just one more token go at this game. It's technically possible to just bore yourself silly by staying on sector 1 forever. This effort took over half an hour where I was half trying to progress through the sectors at a leisurely pace. Tanks aren't too bad to hit although, as the trees get more plentiful as you get further into the game, they get harder to target towards the end. I still didn't get past Sector 6 although I did manage to hit one of the bikes. Not a favourite game of mine, I'm afraid.
Attachments
BC2.png
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

Venger wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:52 pmThis is one of those games where you get rewarded for staying on the lower levels (even though it's technically not in the spirit of the HSC).
I stayed on the lower levels for quite some time. It wasn't by choice! :lol:
You can just drive around not even bothering to shoot, which makes it a very poor scoring system by any standards :(

Sorry, this one just feels like too much of a chore! Score: 15304

deathchase.jpg

Merry Christmas, all :)
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

OK folks, this round is finished, today I don't have time to update this thread or put up the new game but I will give you the link to download and play it here:

http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=193

I will update everything tomorrow and please also start considering what 3 games you would like to choose for the next season so I can prepare that too. I'll get that stuff done tomorrow too, as you might expect, today is a bit busy.

Thanks very much folks and have a very Merry Christmas and holidays......

Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

KarateEd wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:14 pm Stardot high score challenge
Snapper chosen by Venger

Beebchase.png
=====================================================================================
RULES
:arrow: Round Nine starts at 9pm on Monday the 11th of December and ends at 9pm on Monday the 25th of December
DISK IMAGE
INSTRUCTIONS
Instructions.png
SCORING
HIGH SCORE TABLE
HST goes here
Link to Overall High Score Table...http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=27385

Here's a brand new one to try out, looks like we're bikers in this one........Ed ...........
hi ed hope you had a good christmas! not sure where to suggest games, but would love to play repton1 next round if the next round hasnt been decided yet, as i would be able to play ot on my actual beeb not an emulator.
thanks!
-Elliot :)
Lover of all things acorn, but especially the 8 bits!
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - amx mouse -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:
Venger

Post by Venger »

Cruxinc wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:58 am
KarateEd wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:14 pm Stardot high score challenge
Snapper chosen by Venger

Beebchase.png
RULES
DISK IMAGE
INSTRUCTIONS
Instructions.png
SCORING
HIGH SCORE TABLE
HST goes here

hi ed hope you had a good christmas! not sure where to suggest games, but would love to play repton1 next round if the next round hasnt been decided yet, as i would be able to play ot on my actual beeb not an emulator.
thanks!
Crux, it goes a little something like this; just before the start of a season, all players that wish to contribute to the coming season will draw up a list of 3 appropriate games (by appropriate I mean something that has a definitive scoring system, etc.) and post them on to the specially made thread. When we've all picked our 3 games, just before the beginning of each round, Ed will pick a game at random from a hat/bowl/whatever and then we play that game for the next fortnight. The only exception to this is the Championship Round, where the winner of the last season gets to pick his/her own game.

Also, to avoid too much repetition, any game that has been picked in the last 5 seasons isn't eligible to be picked. This means that Repton 1 wouldn't be able to be played as we've played it in Season 17, Round 9.
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

ok that makes sence, thanks a lot! when will this season be finished?
-Elliot :)
Lover of all things acorn, but especially the 8 bits!
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - amx mouse -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:
Venger

Post by Venger »

Cruxinc wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:05 pm ok that makes sence, thanks a lot! when will this season be finished?
The "normal" rounds have finished, there's just the Championship Round to go. I'm sure Ed will post a thread asking for game nominations in the very near future, when he's not busy.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: games - high scores”