Open University HEKTOR

classic non-acorn hardware, software & languages
dangermouse

Open University HEKTOR

Post by dangermouse »

Anyone remember these? It was an 8085 based computer produced by the OU specifically for teaching a course (or several?) that they offered. I remember my mother teaching using these and thinking that my BBC micro was a lot more fun.

It didn't have much RAM, or any good games, bit it did have a peripheral board with an electric fan blowing over a thermistor. That would never happen these days, someone would stick their fingers in the fan and get blood all over the circuits :)

Anyway I've just found two of them in the loft. There's someone on eBay trying to sell one for £1000, he's taking the piss right? Or are they really super rare?
IMG_20231127_132042_HDR.jpg
hoglet

Re: Open University HEKTOR

Post by hoglet »

They are not that common.

One sold a few weeks ago for £60:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115929043679

Dave
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

Heh that's more like what I expected. And that was a nice boxed unit with a monitor included.

Sadly I've no way of testing these ones I i found as I don't have a TV that will accept composite input any more.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

My uncle had one of these when he was doing an OU course. Naturally, I imaged the ROM. :)

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
jonb

Post by jonb »

They remained the property of the OU (so I read once) and should have been returned after the course was complete. Allegedly!
SKS1

Post by SKS1 »

jonb wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:50 am They remained the property of the OU (so I read once) and should have been returned after the course was complete. Allegedly!
Often the OU will offer home kit materials to students studying the last presentation of a particular course - saves cost of returning large parcel!
Miserable old curmudgeon who still likes a bit of an ARM wrestle now and then. Pi 4, 3, ARMX6, SA Risc PC, A540, A440
danielj

Post by danielj »

SKS1 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:56 am Often the OU will offer home kit materials to students studying the last presentation of a particular course - saves cost of returning large parcel!
I did the last year of S260, Geology - unfortunately they didn't let us keep the excellent petrological microscopes :(
SKS1

Post by SKS1 »

danielj wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:53 pm
SKS1 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:56 am Often the OU will offer home kit materials to students studying the last presentation of a particular course - saves cost of returning large parcel!
I did the last year of S260, Geology - unfortunately they didn't let us keep the excellent petrological microscopes :(
Oh no! These were actually very good, weren't they? By the time I did S339, they had gone digital; I think the year before still had real microscopes.
Miserable old curmudgeon who still likes a bit of an ARM wrestle now and then. Pi 4, 3, ARMX6, SA Risc PC, A540, A440
Retro_Jon

Post by Retro_Jon »

The Hektor turns up from time to time on Ebay, probably less so these days than a decade ago. I'd say it's a £200 machine if tested but unboxed, £300 boxed, working and with all the manuals.

There are a few sellers on Ebay pitching the rarer stuff at 3 to 4 times what it would / should usually sell for, but they seem to be repeatedly re-listed due to being unsold. Good luck to them anyway, you never know when a TV company needs a prop and is prepared to pay whatever it takes!

Jon

Return to “other vintage hardware, software and languages”