Issues with K.V., Quark, and Arcturus

subjects relating to classic games for the archimedes and risc pc
wmd

Issues with K.V., Quark, and Arcturus

Post by wmd »

I'm having issues running these games on RISC OS 3.1 (A5000).

When attempting to load K.V. I get the error: File 'LoadModeFile' not found.

I also have a dump of Quark (not a JFD) - it comes with a RO4 patch which I assume removes the copy protection. Running without the patch I get "Please insert the original Quark disc into drive :0". After applying the patch, I get the same error as I get with K.V. (which has presumably already been patched for RO4).

Finally, also found a dump of Arcturus (not JFD). This one is strange - it appears to work, but when you play the game and get to stage 5 it seems to give you the wrong password, meaning that you can not restart again from that level, essentially making the game useless unless you have a list of passwords. Not sure if this is an odd anti-piracy measure or if something else is going on?
wmd

Re: Issues with K.V., Quark, and Arcturus

Post by wmd »

Got a bit further with Quark. Found a nodisc hack here:

https://www.phlamethrower.co.uk/riscos/

I applied this without the RO4 patch installed, and the game now loads, but won't accept any input, except when pressing the right Ctrl key - at which point it goes to the title screen but no options are displayed and still no inputs detected. Tested on both my A5000 and Arculator v2.2.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

wmd wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:27 am When attempting to load K.V. I get the error: File 'LoadModeFile' not found.
That's a RISC OS 3.5+ command. I presume you're still trying to use a RISC OS 3.1 machine?
wmd wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:27 am I also have a dump of Quark (not a JFD) - it comes with a RO4 patch which I assume removes the copy protection. Running without the patch I get "Please insert the original Quark disc into drive :0". After applying the patch, I get the same error as I get with K.V. (which has presumably already been patched for RO4).
Again, it's not surprising a "RO4" patch requires RO4 features... and who knows whatever other ghoulies any hacked version is including?
wmd wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:27 am Finally, also found a dump of Arcturus (not JFD). This one is strange - it appears to work, but when you play the game and get to stage 5 it seems to give you the wrong password, meaning that you can not restart again from that level, essentially making the game useless unless you have a list of passwords. Not sure if this is an odd anti-piracy measure or if something else is going on?
There was no such anti-piracy stuff like that added to Arcturus - just the usual Oregan start-up protection.

I was going to upload what I believed was my archive copy of the thing pre-protection - but it doesn't run past the into screens! #-o
wmd

Post by wmd »

IanJeffray wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:28 am
wmd wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:27 am When attempting to load K.V. I get the error: File 'LoadModeFile' not found.
That's a RISC OS 3.5+ command. I presume you're still trying to use a RISC OS 3.1 machine?
Yes, I'm using RO3.1 on an A5000. Is there a module I can use from a later version of RO?
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

wmd wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:42 am I'm using RO3.1 on an A5000. Is there a module I can use from a later version of RO?
To implement LoadModeFile? Not as far as I know. Screenmodes are defined rather differently for VIDC20 anyway.
And even if you did have something, who knows what other RISC OS 3.5+-features you'd find now required further down the line?
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

Comment out the LoadModeFile line in the !Run, its not required pre RO3.5. Still no guarantee to get it working though as it's clearly been modified for a Risc PC.
wmd wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:41 am Got a bit further with Quark ... the game now loads, but won't accept any input
When the Quark logo screen is shown, press F12 to select a ship or F8 to start the game using the last selected ship.
wmd

Post by wmd »

sirbod wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:45 amComment out the LoadModeFile line in the !Run, its not required pre RO3.5.
I tried that and it now gives a different error: "SWI &6E not known"
sirbod wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:45 am When the Quark logo screen is shown, press F12 to select a ship or F8 to start the game using the last selected ship.
Cheers - this worked. When the Quark logo screen appears is there supposed to be text on there telling you what keys to press? There's no text on my copy. This game seems to suffer from the same issue as Nevryon - cardinal movement is slower than diagonal movement. Also, what do the 3 buttons do at the bottom of the ship select screen that make the slider move?
wmd

Post by wmd »

About the Arcturus issue, I think the password system may be bugged. I played to level 5 again, this time without losing any lives, and it gave me a different password - one that actually works now. I'm guessing the passwords take into account how many lives you have, either generated or the internal password list has an error in it.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

wmd wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:08 am I tried that and it now gives a different error: "SWI &6E not known"
What you have there is a version that's been modified for StrongARM.
wmd wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:08 am When the Quark logo screen appears is there supposed to be text on there telling you what keys to press?
No, you're expected to have a legal copy that comes with a manual :roll:
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

sirbod wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:23 pm No, you're expected to have a legal copy that comes with a manual :roll:
I did some scanning today to assist...
Attachments
QuarkManual.pdf
(6.35 MiB) Downloaded 19 times
QuarkFloppies.jpg
QuarkBoxBack.jpg
QuarkBoxFront.jpg
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

Also Arcturus...
Attachments
ArcturusManual.pdf
(9.02 MiB) Downloaded 11 times
ArcturusFloppies.jpg
ArcturusBoxFront.jpg
ArcturusBoxBack.jpg
ArcturusRegCard.jpg
wmd

Post by wmd »

sirbod wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:23 pm No, you're expected to have a legal copy that comes with a manual :roll:
Even by Archimedes game standards, not having any visible key selection options on the title screen is pretty obtuse!
wmd

Post by wmd »

sirbod wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:23 pm
wmd wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:08 am I tried that and it now gives a different error: "SWI &6E not known"
What you have there is a version that's been modified for StrongARM.
Is it likely to have been one of your patches? If so, can it be undone?
Last edited by wmd on Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickLuvsRetro

Post by NickLuvsRetro »

IanJeffray wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:12 pm I did some scanning today to assist...
Those scans are awesome! I absolutely love those covers.
wmd

Post by wmd »

Yes, those designs are actually quite tastefully done, especially when compared to most other Archimedes game boxes.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

wmd wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:51 pm Is it likely to have been one of your patches? If so, can it be undone?
The original game had two releases that I'm aware of, both pre-StrongARM. v1.00 (F1021701) and v1.01 (F1071101) are both run under the ADFFS JIT on StrongARM and newer and the bugs (loading Templates into Page Zero and Page Zero access in the audio handlers) are live-patched during loading.

You'll need an original version that hasn't been altered...or get out the debugger and undo the StrongARM changes.
wmd

Post by wmd »

wmd wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:41 am Got a bit further with Quark. Found a nodisc hack here:

https://www.phlamethrower.co.uk/riscos/
For anyone interested, at first hand this hack seems to work. However, once you get to stage 2, the screen goes black. The game seems to carry on running in the background, but the screen remains black until you lose all your lives, whereby the screen reappears when the high score screen is shown. When you then select quick restart, you continue from the stage you last got to (screen no longer black).

Return to “32-bit acorn software: classic games”