Repton 3 Redux Special Edition

Rocketeer

Repton 3 Redux Special Edition

Post by Rocketeer »

For **ALL** BBC machines with at least one bank of 16k swram.

On the disk image see files:-

readme - full instructions to get playing.
credits - various routines where they came from.
version - version history.
passwrd - passwords and edit codes for all the map files (note that the files are compressed so will not load into the editor,
you will have to use the original games, these uncompressed files can be loaded though).
licence - licence for the compression/decompression technology used and other information.

These are attached to this post and are available within your machine by changing to MODE 0, CTRL-N to scroll lock and then *TYPE <filename>.
Use the SHIFT key to page through the file.
Attachments
repton3.ssd
(163 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
version.txt
(274 Bytes) Downloaded 102 times
readme.txt
(7.81 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
passwords.txt
(5.32 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
licence.txt
(3.24 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
credits.txt
(1.68 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Cruxinc

Re: Repton 3 Redux Special Edition

Post by Cruxinc »

this is really cool! =D>
-Elliot :)
Lover of all things acorn, but especially the 8 bits!
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - amx mouse -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:
picosonic

Post by picosonic »

Wow, looks great.

Love the Repton appearing on the level animation, and the switching map characters with "Y".

Feels a lot smoother with less flickering.
tnash

Post by tnash »

Thanks so much for making this available for a wider set of machines ( including mine! 😀). Looking forward to playing it when I get back from hols.
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

This is lovely! The scrolling is great and the "teleport" animation is a nice touch too.
kenton

Post by kenton »

Is bbcmicro dotcom part of stardot? Because the best thing that's ever happened to the Beeb retro scene is their one-click play-a-game. SSDs are thunderbolts-and-lightning especially if you need a custom build. Is there a one-click version of this?

Tangentially, I wanna get a version of Beebdroid that wraps bbcmicro dotcom and lets users custom-define keyboards for screens, that are then shared with others and voted on like reddit. If anyone feels like coding it, very happy to republish it to Play Store.
barbarossa69

Post by barbarossa69 »

It's really cool, it's so nice to have ALL the levels in the same place too :)
leenew

Post by leenew »

kenton wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:05 am Is bbcmicro dotcom part of stardot? Because the best thing that's ever happened to the Beeb retro scene is their one-click play-a-game. SSDs are thunderbolts-and-lightning especially if you need a custom build. Is there a one-click version of this?

Tangentially, I wanna get a version of Beebdroid that wraps bbcmicro dotcom and lets users custom-define keyboards for screens, that are then shared with others and voted on like reddit. If anyone feels like coding it, very happy to republish it to Play Store.
Hi Kenton,
bbcmicro.co.uk is part of the Stardot family I suppose :D
I should be able to get this added to the site later.
I like the idea of beebdroid having access to all of the games in a seamless way.... Sounds cool to me!

Lee.
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

Brilliant. Love it. =D> =D> =D>.

Now just need to find a way to run this from my Econet FS 8).

Edit: Well, just copying the files over to a directory on my PiFS wasn't enough to get it working. I just get a blank screen when I *EXEC !BOOT or */repton1. It doesn't get as far as the loading screen. ADFS fails in the same way :(. Need to investigate a bit further. I'm guessing it might be workspace related.
leenew

Post by leenew »

The game has been added to the Repton family on bbcmicro.co.uk http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/index.php?sea ... on&on_Z=on

Thanks to Michael Brown for his quick work :D

Lee.
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

leenew wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:58 am The game has been added to the Repton family on bbcmicro.co.uk http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/index.php?sea ... on&on_Z=on

Thanks to Michael Brown for his quick work :D

Lee.
Excellent, thanks for that.
Rhythmbox

Post by Rhythmbox »

Proper job! My model B salutes you =D>
tnash

Post by tnash »

It's so smooth! However on my beeb I can't persuade it to load any levels apart from the default level 1. I'm using an SD card reader/mmfs which I'm guessing is the reason (ala white light) Is there anything I can do to make it work?

Specs if useful :BBC B issue 7. MMFS 1.50. Pitubedirect plugged in but set to no copro. 32k boobip swram. 128k boobip flash rom.
bteamfox

Post by bteamfox »

A big thank you for doing this. It's so fantastic to see people taking the time to improve bbc games or writing new games. I wish I had the skills to do this but I do not, hence I appreciate all your work on this program.

Thanks so much! :D
aidanthegasman

Post by aidanthegasman »

Absolutely magnificent work. It's delightful to see these magnificent games still getting love. It's like a digital version of the Repair Shop!
I spent hours upon hours playing Repton 3 BITD, but also editing the maps and sprites.
Playing on the old CRT televisions, I didn't realise Repton is supposed to have a mouth. I always thought he just had the eyes because I couldn't see his mouth. (I still kind of think he looks better without the mouth!). I only discovered his mouth when editing his sprites in enormous size in the editor.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Thanks muchly and well done!
You got rid of the skull glitch, which removes at least one avenue for cheating ... but you've also managed to address the fungus glitch on Toccata level E (MAJESTY) so that makes Toccata completable without passwords for the first time! Which also makes it the first time I've completed Repton 3 without save states!

Incidentally, is there a competition for first to complete? The completion numbers seem to be the same as the original version, but I could DM the completions screens ...
REPTON 2 IS ENDED
Diminished

Post by Diminished »

Rhys wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:07 pmthe fungus glitch on Toccata level E (MAJESTY) so that makes Toccata completable without passwords for the first time!
This issue has come up before, and is actually more complicated than this. To spoil the outcome, it turns out that there were two releases of retail Repton 3, the second of which had the fungus bug fixed. This bug-fixed version of the R3 engine was the one that was subsequently used for the expansion packs.

You might be interested in reading the research I did on this issue in this thread.
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

Rhys wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:07 pm Incidentally, is there a competition for first to complete? The completion numbers seem to be the same as the original version, but I could DM the completions screens ...
The pleasure is to play - no prizes unfortunately. Good to hear that it plays through from start to finish okay, you never know if new bugs have been introduced!
!FOZ!

Post by !FOZ! »

KenLowe wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:31 am Brilliant. Love it. =D> =D> =D>.

Edit: Well, just copying the files over to a directory on my PiFS wasn't enough to get it working. I just get a blank screen when I *EXEC !BOOT or */repton1. It doesn't get as far as the loading screen. ADFS fails in the same way :(. Need to investigate a bit further. I'm guessing it might be workspace related.
FWIW, I get the same on ADFS E00 as well.
Electron,+1,+3
BBC B,GoTek,Boobip 64k SRAM + 64k EEPROM,Speech, BeebSID,VideoNula,Pi Copro
BBC Master,BeebSCSI,UPUSFS,MultiOS,GoTek,DS12887 RTC,VideoNula,Pi Corpo,Mouse,MasterSD,User Port x2
A3000,GoTek,4MB,Watford IDE,CF HD
A5000 Alpha,4MB,CF HD
!FOZ!

Post by !FOZ! »

Update on my sadly failed attempt at 'poking' around get this running on MMFS (v2 in my case). Still documented my process in case it might be useful input for others. https://github.com/hoglet67/MMFS/issues ... 1865249760
Electron,+1,+3
BBC Master,BeebSCSI,UPUSFS,MultiOS,GoTek,DS12887 RTC,VideoNula,Pi Corpo,Mouse,MasterSD,User Port x2
A5000 Alpha,4MB,CF HD
tricky

Post by tricky »

!FOZ! wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:58 pm Update on my sadly failed attempt at 'poking' around get this running on MMFS (v2 in my case). Still documented my process in case it might be useful input for others. https://github.com/hoglet67/MMFS/issues ... 1865249760
Sorry, not at my beeb, does it work fine on mmfs?
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

tricky wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:19 am Sorry, not at my beeb, does it work fine on mmfs?
No, I don't think it does:
hoglet67 on github wrote:I suspect the problem is the game writing to the user port as it tries to detect sideways RAM. This causing junk to get sent to the SD Card which seems to then stop it responding.

Specifically, I caught it doing these writes

Code: Select all

00.002198 : Mem Wr Watch hit at DA50 writing FE63:FF  .
00.004307 : Mem Wr Watch hit at DA71 writing FE6E:7F  .
00.004322 : Mem Wr Watch hit at DA71 writing FE6D:7F  .
00.004365 : Mem Wr Watch hit at DA94 writing FE6C:0E  .
05.311545 : Mem Wr Watch hit at 0BFF writing FE60:0E  .
05.311593 : Mem Wr Watch hit at 0BFF writing FE60:0D  .
05.311679 : Mem Wr Watch hit at 0BFF writing FE60:0C  .
05.311765 : Mem Wr Watch hit at 0BFF writing FE60:0B  .
05.311813 : Mem Wr Watch hit at 0BFF writing FE60:0A  .
05.311861 : Mem Wr Watch hit at 0BFF writing FE60:09  .
05.311909 : Mem Wr Watch hit at 0BFF writing FE60:08  .
05.311957 : Mem Wr Watch hit at 0BFF writing FE60:07  .
07.320035 : Mem Wr Watch hit at 0C9A writing FE60:07  .
07.375542 : Mem Wr Watch hit at 22C2 writing FE6B:40  @
07.375548 : Mem Wr Watch hit at 22C7 writing FE64:88  .
07.375554 : Mem Wr Watch hit at 22CC writing FE65:13  .
07.375560 : Mem Wr Watch hit at 22D1 writing FE6E:C0  .
07.406904 : Mem Wr Watch hit at 2304 writing FE6B:00  .
07.415420 : Mem Wr Watch hit at 22C2 writing FE6B:40  @
07.415426 : Mem Wr Watch hit at 22C7 writing FE64:88  .
07.415432 : Mem Wr Watch hit at 22CC writing FE65:13  .
07.415438 : Mem Wr Watch hit at 22D1 writing FE6E:C0  .
07.446764 : Mem Wr Watch hit at 2304 writing FE6B:00  .
The problematic writes are I think those to &FE60.

I've just tested it on my Master, where MMFS uses a second user port adapter plugged into the Econet headers (at &FEAx). This works fine, and I was able to load the AFRICA map. If I then switch to a version of MMFS that uses the standard user port, then it hangs.

That supports hypothesis that it's the sideways RAM detection code writing to the standard user port that's the issue.

I can't think of a quick fix for this, other than patching the game.
tnash

Post by tnash »

If it is the swram detection, I did wonder how easy would it be to prompt the user for their ram bank and flavour of swram, and bypass the autodetect code?
tnash

Post by tnash »

For info, Matthew did send me a version without the FE60 writes however it still locked up at the same point.
I'm happy to test any potential solutions btw if that helps anyone.
!FOZ!

Post by !FOZ! »

tnash wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:21 am If it is the swram detection, I did wonder how easy would it be to prompt the user for their ram bank and flavour of swram, and bypass the autodetect code?
I am less sure it’s the swram detection tbh and more simply a clash of workspace, zero page etc. That said, I do by now have a good idea of what’s going on in repton1 and could replace the sram detection with a poke and eventual prompt.

What puzzles me a bit is it’s said to run fine on MMFS on a Master with the alternate user port addresss. It’s possible I missed a poke so I will take another look to check.

Oh… just seen that Matt sent a fe60 free version - I guess that closes out this as the cause and more likely workspace. I did also try the E00 based version btw, still no joy, so perhaps zero page clash?
Electron,+1,+3
A5000 Alpha,4MB,CF HD
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Further to my previous post; I have now completed all of Repton 3 Redux scenarios / levels (3, 40, Life & Time)
So can confirm that it all works (including Level H - Now).
Again well done creators of - a great job!
Good times
REPTON 2 IS ENDED
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

Rhys wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:53 pm Further to my previous post; I have now completed all of Repton 3 Redux scenarios / levels (3, 40, Life & Time)
So can confirm that it all works (including Level H - Now).
Again well done creators of - a great job!
Good times
Thank you for the confirmation, much appreciated.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

One bit of feedback / comment. The monsters can now no longer inhabit the same space, which makes a couple of levels (most notably Egypt G and OAP G) harder to complete. Harder, but not, as it turns out, impossible :)
REPTON 2 IS ENDED
!FOZ!

Post by !FOZ! »

KenLowe wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:31 am Brilliant. Love it. =D> =D> =D>.

It’s because it’s running *DRIVE 0 and *DIR$. I successfully patched my repton2 file and it now runs from my ADFS HD. The first poke is 7 spaces, the second poke is 4 spaces. This may work now on MMFS or even Econet FS for the same reasons, but I have not been able to test.

Code: Select all

*LOAD repton2
$&2670=“       “
$&2677=“    “
*SAVE repton2 1200 +4600 1200
Electron,+1,+3
A5000 Alpha,4MB,CF HD

Return to “miscellaneous new bbc and electron games”