BeebEm hanging during larger Econet transfers?

discuss bbc micro and electron emulators (including mame) here!
marrold

BeebEm hanging during larger Econet transfers?

Post by marrold »

I've recently been attempting to get an Econet working within BeebEm. The trials and tribulations are here viewtopic.php?p=406711 but it's now mostly working.

I have however noticed when transferring larger files, either copying them to the file server with COPYFILES, or loading them from the server with LOAD, the file server appears to freeze (The clock no-longer updates) and after some time I'll get an error, usually "No Reply". Transferring smaller files works reliably using the same method works reliably.

This is version 4.19 running locally on a windows machine with a fairly vanilla econet.cfg, with the only changes being "AUNMODE 0" and some different station numbers

I wondered if anyone had any experiences here?

Thanks
markusher

Re: BeebEm hanging during larger Econet transfers?

Post by markusher »

From the screenshots, it looks like you are using the pre-release version of the L3 Server v0.92 IV. This is quite buggy.
I would strongly suggest using a later release.

Here is version 1.24 which may help the situation.
FSL3-124.zip
(22.1 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
If you have formatted the HardDrive without leaving sufficient free space in ADFS, adding this to the ADFS partition *may* overwrite part of the AFS0 partition and corrupt it.
-Mark
2 x BBC, 1 Viglen BBC, M128, M512, M128+copro, 1 Master ET, BBC AIV Domesday System, E01S, E01, E20 Filestore, 3 x A4000, RISC PC 600,700, StrongArm. Probably more I've missed and all sorts of bits and pieces.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Well, it really shouldn't do. ADFS should know there isn't enough space in the free space map to add a new file and exit with a "Disc full" error.
marrold

Post by marrold »

markusher wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:05 am Here is version 1.24 which may help the situation.
FSL3-124.zip
Thanks for sharing that. I've given it a try and transferring files onto the file server does seem potentially more reliable. I'm still having issues with loading them but I'm starting to thing that problem is a red herring. I'll keep digging
cr12925

Post by cr12925 »

Also turning off AUNMODE can generate a world of pain - I’d leave it on!

C
2 x Master 128, BBC B+IntegraB, Viglen floppy drives, A3000 ZIDEFS+Econet, RISC PC StrongArm Mk3+Econet ModulePidule, 3 x Econets, 5 x Pi Econet bridges, organist, former purveyor of BBS software...

Return to “8-bit acorn emulators”