The Times Computer Crosswords

request software or documentation that you can't find online
Dave_E

The Times Computer Crosswords

Post by Dave_E »

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone out there has any of these games apart from the Volume 1 and the Jubilee Puzzles. There were apparently five volumes available, and there even seems to have been a collection of The Sun Crosswords too, although I don't know if these were ever available for the BBC and Electron. I get the feeling that someone, somewhere might just have them, particularly because they seem to have been released on multiple formats, i.e. I've seen Atari ST versions of Volumes 2 and 4 on eBay before.

It might also be possible, if they cannot be found, to 'recreate' them, if somehow the data could be unpicked from a different version (i.e. the Atari ST one) and then ported to the format used by Volume 1. I suspect that they were probably created like that in the first place.

However, I was just wondering whether or not anyone reading this happens to have them, or at least one of the volumes that hasn't been preserved yet. As they were available for the Electron, they scratch my 'missing Electron games' itch which needs a scratch.
leenew

Re: The Times Computer Crosswords

Post by leenew »

This advert states they were definitely available for the Beeb and the Electron:
AKOM.jpg
Lee.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I seem to remember seeing these advertised, possibly in The Times, or The Sunday Times which we were taking in the 1990s, rather than in a computer magazine. But my recollection is that they weren't doing a BBC (or Electron) version at that point, so it could have been quite a bit later than this advert, maybe getting on for the mid 1990s.

This recollection however conflicts with another recollection I am having that I did have some sort of crossword related software at some point during this era, though I am wondering whether that might have been a crossword solver or crossword layout generator rather than an actual computerised crossword puzzle as such.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Dave_E wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:52 pm
It might also be possible, if they cannot be found, to 'recreate' them, if somehow the data could be unpicked from a different version (i.e. the Atari ST one) and then ported to the format used by Volume 1. I suspect that they were probably created like that in the first place.
I took a quick look at comparing the BBC and Amiga versions and the puzzle data is identical between both, I was able to transplant Puzzle 1 from the Amiga Volume 2 into the BBC volume 1 and it works.

Edit: attached is the volumes 2,3 and 4 converted this way, using the Amiga data and the BBC version from https://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=2958
Attachments
Reconstructed-TimesCrosswordsVol4.dsd
(400 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Reconstructed-TimesCrosswordsVol3.dsd
(400 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Reconstructed-TimesCrosswordsVol2.dsd
(400 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Last edited by Simon on Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Electron (+1, +3, AP5)
Electron (RH +1, Pegasus)
BBC B 1770, boobip, Acorn Speech,Econet)
BBC B+ 128k (Acorn Speech)
Master 512 (ARA III, VideoNuLA, Econet)
PiTubeDirect, RGBtoHDMI, Pi1MHZ
Master Compact (Econet)
Econet: RiscPC 700 / A3020 / A3000
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

I have a disk with this one on Computer Crosswords Vol1(TheTimes)
CrossWord[Front].jpg
CrossWord[Disc].jpg
ComputerCrosswordsVol1(TheTimes)(F00)40t_hfe.ssd
(100.13 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Regards Peter.
Simon

Post by Simon »

vanekp wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:35 pm I have a disk with this one on Computer Crosswords Vol1(TheTimes)
ComputerCrosswordsVol1(TheTimes)(F00)40t_hfe.ssd
that's a flip disk! half the puzzles are on the other side.
Electron (+1, +3, AP5)
Master Compact (Econet)
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Simon wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:47 pm that's a flip disk! half the puzzles are on the other side.
I'd suspect the other side to be the same but 80 track.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Pernod wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:59 pm
Simon wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:47 pm that's a flip disk! half the puzzles are on the other side.
I'd suspect the other side to be the same but 80 track.
The 80 track version has 60 puzzles split across both sides ~ 140kb total This version does prompt to flip the disk for the higher number puzzles
Electron (+1, +3, AP5)
Master Compact (Econet)
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I tried that disc, and I am not sure if it is what I remember or not. The first thing that struck me was, "This is a blue and white crossword, not a black and white crossword" and I think I would have remembered that from all those years ago if it's what I used then.
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

Simon wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:09 pm
The 80 track version has 60 puzzles split across both sides ~ 140kb total This version does prompt to flip the disk for the higher number puzzles
I guess the two sides were only required due to the 31 file limit, as I removed the 40 empty tracks on the SSD
https://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9576
BeebMaster wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:12 pm I tried that disc, and I am not sure if it is what I remember or not. The first thing that struck me was, "This is a blue and white crossword, not a black and white crossword" and I think I would have remembered that from all those years ago if it's what I used then.
It could be that the older version in the other thread is black and white?

Return to “archive requests”