Atom in PC

emulators, hardware and classic software for atom + system machines
silcreval

Atom in PC

Post by silcreval »

Are there any other users of Roland's excellent 'Atom in PC' card? I really like this way of working, and have one installed in an old PC.

I have a couple of questions if anyone knows these.

1. How do you get software that is on Atom disks (or elsewhere) in a form that can be used by the Atom in PC ie using the *LOAD command. The docs are great but I just couldn't figure this out. I'm fairly new to the 'new' Atom scene so apologies if this is super obvious.

2. How do you exit :-) - for the life of me I cant figure out how you exit once in the Atom terminal.
roland

Re: Atom in PC

Post by roland »

I do occasionally use the Atom-in-PC board. I tried mine last weekend but it seems to be broken after 30 years :(

The files in https://site.acornatom.nl/software-archief/file-finder/ can be downloaded and copied to your PC with the Atom board. They all have the correct header. I can also create a ZIP archive containing all those files. That might make life easier.

You can exit with the *PC command:

*PC provides control to MS-DOS
Syntax: *PC [msdos command]
If no MS-DOS command is specified, the Atom terminal program is terminated. If a command has been specified, it will be executed. The Atom terminal program then continues to run.

There is an online manual at https://site.acornatom.nl/documentatie/ ... minpc-man/ It's in Dutch but with the language flag at the top right corner you can translate it to English.
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
silcreval

Post by silcreval »

Thanks Roland !

Wow that archive is mind blowing - I had no idea there was so much Atom related software. A zip file would be great but I'll have a look and see what to download.
derek

Post by derek »

Hi Roland,

I read with interest the manual for Atom in PC, looks a very good.

Do you have any PCBs?
Regards,

Derek
roland

Post by roland »

At the moment I don’t have any pcb’s but I can try to find some boards from formal Atom users.

It’s not easy to order a few boards because I don’t have gerber files. I know they exist and I’ll also try to get these. Otherwise I can redraw them, possibly with fewer components because of larger RAM ic’s nowadays.
roland

Post by roland »

I have one offer for a complete Atom-in-PC board. The owner wants €150 for it. I asked him "why"? He told me that he doesn't want the board to get somewhere in a cupboard just because somebody wants it to have. Or even worse, to re-sell.

So if there's any enthusiast who wants a board for this price, please let me know.
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

I must've asked this before somewhere but is the 16K ROM image available anywhere?
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
roland

Post by roland »

This should be the latest version of the 16K ROM....
Attachments
atominpc.zip
(12 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

Return to “acorn atom and acorn system series”