High Score Challenge - S21 - R6 - Qwak!

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
KarateEd

Re: High Score Challenge - S21 - R6 - Qwak!

Post by KarateEd »

Venger wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:09 pm I got a little curious as to how hard the last few levels would be. Starting off at level 21 (password: ENAMEL) it took me 28 minutes to get past levels 21, 22, 23 and 24 with countless deaths. There's no way anyone would be able to complete the game in one go. Not much of a celebratory message either :x The game just rolls over with no visible increase in speed (even though it says the the baddies are madder now).
Yes, I find that 13 is bad enough, don't remember 14 as I only got to it once last time we played. I haven't the patience to play all the levels this way, I know they have to be incredibly hard as 13 is a level that you're very lucky to get through period so I can't imagine how hard the rest must be and I agree, it's unlikely that anyone would complete this game. Clearly a masochist has created this game with levels like 3 and 7 and 13....the ones that I know of.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

FourthStone wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:51 amrandom lift spheres
The green things that the rest of us are probably calling "bubbles"? They act more more like them than whatever the player's weapon is supposed to be :lol:
FourthStone wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:51 am...levels 14 & 15 were difficult and very exact and punishing but doable but by the time I made it to 16 my nerves were frayed and I didn't continue further.
That about sums it up for me. Seems like it's a question of knowing precisely what to do on the later levels - with any deviation being fatal.

I mean, the other day, I was bashing my head against the wall on level 14 until I beat it (using continues). Today - after not playing for a couple of days - I passworded out to 14 (on a whim) and beat it straight off the bat! No such luck with 15 today though #-o
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

A couple hundred better, slow going.....having 'fun' with level 13.....
Qwak-14.png

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
FourthStone

Post by FourthStone »

Got a bit further to level 11, I know how it's done but I just couldn't string the moves together ](*,)

Score: 7590
quak_2023.PNG
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

A few hundred higher....man that 13 is frustrating.....
Qwak-15.png

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Fell just short of 10k, very nearly had that but for a couple stupid mistakes.....
Qwak-16.png

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Broke 10k but still not through 13. I had it beat on the last run and panic died.....
Qwak-17.png

Rod C

Post by Rod C »

Having fun rediscovering this game. Some of the levels are pretty demanding though.

3310.PNG
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Reached level 14 and almost caught you Venger.....I'm coming.....
Qwak-18.png

Venger

Post by Venger »

KarateEd wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:24 am Reached level 14 and almost caught you Venger.....I'm coming.....

Qwak-18.png
Ed, luckily I'm not as obsessed with Qwak! as you are, by the looks of it :lol: I just find the game annoying, due to a few "unfair" levels (Level 7 mainly). It just doesn't make me want to go back to the game unless I have to.

That being said, if you beat my score then, yes, I will revisit briefly 8) .
tnash

Post by tnash »

Does anyone know if anyone has done a level designer/ alt levels for Qwak? I love the mechanics, graphics and "feel" but as a few of you are saying, some of the levels are really tough/ unfair.
Venger

Post by Venger »

Here's what's probably going to be my last go at the game. I've got most of the levels sussed out (although 12 causes me some pain) up to level 16. Of course, it's still a matter of luck whether you get past level 7 and you have to rely on the RNG as to whether the bubbles will scupper your run or not. I've got this run to level 16 on video but I won't post it on YouTube until after the round has ended (I wouldn't want to be giving you any tips and spoiling the fun :lol: ).

Ed,

You'll have to redouble your efforts to catch me now :mrgreen:
Attachments
Qwak4.png
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Venger wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:38 pm
Ed,

You'll have to redouble your efforts to catch me now :mrgreen:
Oh don't worry Venger. I'm getting pretty good at getting through level 7 now. I also have some trouble with 12 but that's ok. I know how to achieve, 13, 14 and 15 so far. I will only need one good run to surpass you and then.....well, I believe you'll just have to play it again Sam......

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Watch out Venger!! Sure you don't want to go higher? I AM going to get your score and better, I very nearly did it this time.....Frankly I wouldn't have believed I could have achieved this far but there is more to come for sure.......
Qwak-19.png

Venger

Post by Venger »

KarateEd wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:18 am Watch out Venger!! Sure you don't want to go higher? I AM going to get your score and better, I very nearly did it this time.....Frankly I wouldn't have believed I could have achieved this far but there is more to come for sure.......

Qwak-19.png
Ed, you're starting to sound very obsessed :lol: . There's something about this game that obviously does it for you. I certainly can't say the same for me. It was the same last time when you continued to post scores after the round had ended. I really don't have the inclination to put in the many hours that you've done on this game; it stops being fun then and turns into an obsession. Personally, I don't give you much hope of getting past 16 so I think you'll be limited to what score you'll get when you die on level 15 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Venger wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:31 am
KarateEd wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:18 am Watch out Venger!! Sure you don't want to go higher? I AM going to get your score and better, I very nearly did it this time.....Frankly I wouldn't have believed I could have achieved this far but there is more to come for sure.......

Qwak-19.png
Ed, you're starting to sound very obsessed :lol: . There's something about this game that obviously does it for you. I certainly can't say the same for me. It was the same last time when you continued to post scores after the round had ended. I really don't have the inclination to put in the many hours that you've done on this game; it stops being fun then and turns into an obsession. Personally, I don't give you much hope of getting past 16 so I think you'll be limited to what score you'll get when you die on level 15 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Well, I've been to 15 3x now. I know how to solve it, as in the other levels I've achieved. I barely missed solving 15 a few tries ago. Had I solved it, my score would have eclipsed yours by a few hundred......just saying. I'm closer than what you might think. I don't remember 16 offhand but you're probably right, it's likely where the buck will stop.

Me, obsessed? Nooooooo........very obsessed? Definitely not. I just like this game for some strange reason.....puzzle platformers are a lot of fun for me, things like mouse trap, etc. You're very good at these even if you don't particularly like the game after a while. For me it's almost meditative. Strange huh?

Venger

Post by Venger »

KarateEd wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:03 pm

Qwak-19.png
Well, I've been to 15 3x now. I know how to solve it, as in the other levels I've achieved. I barely missed solving 15 a few tries ago. Had I solved it, my score would have eclipsed yours by a few hundred......just saying. I'm closer than what you might think. I don't remember 16 offhand but you're probably right, it's likely where the buck will stop.

Me, obsessed? Nooooooo........very obsessed? Definitely not. I just like this game for some strange reason.....puzzle platformers are a lot of fun for me, things like mouse trap, etc. You're very good at these even if you don't particularly like the game after a while. For me it's almost meditative. Strange huh?
Level 15's a walk in the park, but it takes a bit of a steady hand. Level 16's much harder and it relies a lot on luck. Level 17's pretty straightforward and level 18's exactly like Level 7 but with 2 baddies flitting across, halfway up the screen. All doable but to get them done in one run is asking a bit much. As for the later levels, I haven't really looked at 19 and 20 but I can safely say that you won't do 21, 22, 23 and 24 in one sitting. Hell, you won't even do 24 without shooting bubbles and there's no point items on the level.

I may have another go between now and the end of the round but the game just doesn't have that certain something that makes me want to come back to it. I'm not saying it's a bad game, but it can be unfair on certain levels which is a big turn off for me.
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Venger wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:57 pm
KarateEd wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:03 pm

Level 15's a walk in the park, but it takes a bit of a steady hand. Level 16's much harder and it relies a lot on luck. Level 17's pretty straightforward and level 18's exactly like Level 7 but with 2 baddies flitting across, halfway up the screen. All doable but to get them done in one run is asking a bit much. As for the later levels, I haven't really looked at 19 and 20 but I can safely say that you won't do 21, 22, 23 and 24 in one sitting. Hell, you won't even do 24 without shooting bubbles and there's no point items on the level.

I may have another go between now and the end of the round but the game just doesn't have that certain something that makes me want to come back to it. I'm not saying it's a bad game, but it can be unfair on certain levels which is a big turn off for me.
Oh I hear you on the fairness part too Venger. It's not a fair game but that's part of the challenge for me. I've found I'm getting through 7 pretty regularly now, you just have to be patient and wait for the right pathway which can end up having you run on the bottom or bouncing along the top of the bubbles.

I didn't really think I'd ever reach 15 in one go but I've done it with 2 or 3 lives a few times now so there is a very good chance I'll complete that level.....but.....with the difficulty of this game it will take a very lucky run and that might not happen. If not, it's ok because I'm way ahead of my best game on this by far.....but if I do, you will want to play again because my score will likely be a bit higher than yours....we'll see how it goes.

MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson »

A very small increase - can't get past Level 7.
Attachments
Screen1111.jpg
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

Yes, level 7 is tricky. I nearly completed it but lost it at the last moment.

4170.PNG
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Rod C wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:39 pm Yes, level 7 is tricky. I nearly completed it but lost it at the last moment.
Sometimes it helps to know that you can go the ground route (after getting all the keys) or you can go back on top of the bubbles. You do have options.

maniacminer

Post by maniacminer »

KarateEd wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:28 pm
Rod C wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:39 pm Yes, level 7 is tricky. I nearly completed it but lost it at the last moment.
Sometimes it helps to know that you can go the ground route (after getting all the keys) or you can go back on top of the bubbles. You do have options.
I go about half way on bubbles and then the ground for the rest. If the RNG is giving you aggro, do nothing for a few seconds, then whack any key frantically for a couple of seconds and see if that changes anything. I think the user key press is the only random event in the BBC Micro as it doesn't have any genuine random generator hardware apart from user keystrokes... It still surprises me that Quak! doesn't have a timer. I can spend ages on levels getting the timing just right if I want to (although impatience gets the better of me most of the time)
Big Model B Econet,Master 512,Electron,A3000,A540,Atom,Unilab 3-Chip Plus,6502,Z80,65C816,80186,32016,Matchbox,ARM7TDMI,Master 10/100,PiCoPro,Teletext,Music500,PiSCSI,Challenger3,Gotek,VideoNuLA,GoSDC,GoMMC,Integra-B,RGB2HDMIv4,Epson LQ-850 (for the win!)
FourthStone

Post by FourthStone »

maniacminer wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:25 am
I go about half way on bubbles and then the ground for the rest. If the RNG is giving you aggro, do nothing for a few seconds, then whack any key frantically for a couple of seconds and see if that changes anything. I think the user key press is the only random event in the BBC Micro as it doesn't have any genuine random generator hardware apart from user keystrokes... It still surprises me that Quak! doesn't have a timer. I can spend ages on levels getting the timing just right if I want to (although impatience gets the better of me most of the time)
I spent an hour playing today and never got past level 7, i've been past level 7 a few times so know how it's done but something always managed to kill me.. every... single... try... I must have played 40-50 games and made it to level 7 with all lives in tact every game only to be thwarted by rng... every (most) other levels are purely skill and timing based but level 7 has defeated me ](*,) :-k Very very tough level assuming luck is on your side :-({|= :-#
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

FourthStone wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:10 am
maniacminer wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:25 am

I spent an hour playing today and never got past level 7, i've been past level 7 a few times so know how it's done but something always managed to kill me.. every... single... try... I must have played 40-50 games and made it to level 7 with all lives in tact every game only to be thwarted by rng... every (most) other levels are purely skill and timing based but level 7 has defeated me ](*,) :-k Very very tough level assuming luck is on your side :-({|= :-#

I just got past level 7 but fizzled out on level 8 without getting a new high score. :(

Other times on level 7, I've bubbled across the top then dropped to the floor and jumped the baddie a couple of times only to be taken out by a rising bubble. #-o
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

I'm also up to level 7 ... I've managed it once, using the password, but not yet when playing from the start. I usually get stuck on level 3 though! My best so far: 3110

qwak.jpg
Atom / BBC B with Music 5000/4000/2000 / Electron / A3000 / Master 128
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

chrisn wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:05 am I usually get stuck on level 3 though!
Yes, it's a pain!

Made a little progress here.

4600.PNG
FourthStone

Post by FourthStone »

Got a little further to level 12, choked and lost 3 lives ](*,)

Score: 8160
quak_2023.PNG
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

FourthStone wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:02 pm Got a little further to level 12
Nice work! I'm struggling to get level 10.

5900.PNG
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

tnash wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:08 pmDoes anyone know if anyone has done a level designer/ alt levels for Qwak? I love the mechanics, graphics and "feel" but as a few of you are saying, some of the levels are really tough/ unfair.
Yeah, the game engine is very polished and it would be cool to see this but I don't believe that either an editor or alt levels have surfaced.

I did once craft map and sprite editors for the game Hobgoblin, so I was curious how obvious the level data was to locate here, and it proved quite easy to identify. Without figuring out what any values mean, I was able to made this very quick random edit to level 1 with one simple poke to the data:
QWAKHACK.jpg
Don't think I have the patience to make a proper level editor for Qwak, but it would be pretty straightforward.

It's worth noting that the author (Jamie W) has been around this very forum, so it might be worth messaging him to ask if he has tools/other levels. He can also be contacted here where he has a modern update to the game available 😀

Alternately, sbadger created a NuLA version of Qwak and claimed that "I have worked out most of the level data format, so new set of levels or a level designer should be possible". No idea if they ever took that any further, but wouldn't hurt to enquire.
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Ok, you're safe Venger, I can't get past 15.....I'll be interested in your video when you post it.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: games - high scores”