Beebem, Serial Ports, Modems and Baud Rates

discuss bbc micro and electron emulators (including mame) here!
marrold

Beebem, Serial Ports, Modems and Baud Rates

Post by marrold »

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with Beebem and an external USB adapter connected to a Modem. It's working reasonably well but it has raised a question.

Modern serial adapters (an FTDI in my case) don't support different baud rates for Rx / Tx, and don't support 75 baud. 300 is as low as they'll go.

When I use *CVIEW in Commstar II it automatically sets the Baud rate to 1200/75, so I'm curious how its working when the USB adapter doesn't support it.

This might be a more of a generic serial question but if anyone has any insight it'd be appreciated.

Cheers
Matthew
SteveF

Re: Beebem, Serial Ports, Modems and Baud Rates

Post by SteveF »

I'm definitely no expert here, but I have an idea that PCs in general didn't handle split baud rates like 1200/75, even back in the day. (Because in the US 300/300 and 1200/1200 were common, but 1200/75 wasn't?) So modems designed for those PCs would work at (say) 1200/1200 talking to the local PC, but 1200/75 on the phone line. It might be something like this happening with your modem/adapter here. (Edit: the more I think about it, the less convinced I am that this is what's happening here. But I'll leave the post up anyway...)

I think modems intended for use with the Beeb probably didn't do this, as there was no need for the extra complication when the Beeb itself could do 1200/75.
marrold

Post by marrold »

Modern modems will do some buffering so they can cope with the serial baud and connection over the telephone being at different baud rates. In this instance I was using a "modern" USR Courier to connect.

I think you're right about the modems of that period (Pace Nightingale, Miracle WS2000 etc) though, they'd just operate at the same rate as the connection over the line.

Cheers
sweh

Post by sweh »

marrold wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:21 pm When I use *CVIEW in Commstar II it automatically sets the Baud rate to 1200/75, so I'm curious how its working when the USB adapter doesn't support it.
I looked at an old version of the Unix beebem code (maybe based on v3.2 of the windows version?), and it has a section

Code: Select all

Tx_Rate=Baud_Rates[(Data & 7)];
        Rx_Rate=Baud_Rates[(Data & 56)>>3];
        // Note, the PC serial port (or at least win32) does not allow different transmit/receive rates
        // So we will use the higher of the two
        if (SerialChannel==RS423) {
                HigherRate=Tx_Rate;
                if (Rx_Rate>Tx_Rate) HigherRate=Rx_Rate;
Rgds
Stephen
marrold

Post by marrold »

Thanks for that, that would make sense.

Return to “8-bit acorn emulators”