ABUG Event in Scotland – Thu 19th Oct (Booking thread now included)

for the announcement (and discussion) of confirmed physical and virtual ABug events ONLY
Tosk

ABUG Event in Scotland – Thu 19th Oct (Booking thread now included)

Post by Tosk »

Hi all,

I would like to announce an informal gathering for lovers of retro machines, especially those fond of the BBC Micro, Acorn Electron, Atom, and Archimedes/RISC OS machines in Scotland. This event is aimed at bringing together a community of like-minded individuals in a comfortable and modern setting – the Falkirk Business Hub, in central Falkirk, Scotland.

To emphasise this event is open to all with an interest in Acorn computers!

Please Confirm your attendance by Booking with the link below (£6)

https://retrorendezvous.org/oct2013

Date : Thursday 19th October 7:30PM

I work at the building and have secured permission to use one of the meeting rooms on a regular (monthly) basis.

🕹 Confirmed to come...

Tosk (Paul)
DaveLecky (Dave)
Walkerworks (Derek)
AndyMc1280 (Andy)
IanJeffray (Ian)
Gebes (Alasdair)
SKS1 (Stuart)
Ramtop (Gary)
thecellartroll (Steven)

🕹 Event Features:

This is an informal gathering for...

Show and Tell: Bring your own hardware to display and discuss with others.
Collaborative Working: Spend time on hardware, programming, or gaming projects.
Knowledge Exchange: Share ideas, insights, and skills with other enthusiasts.
Advice on Repair and Upgrade: Reviving poorly Acorn machines.
Socialize and Enjoy: There's a kitchen which we can utilise for coffee, tea and biscuits. We're in the town centre for plenty of bars, pubs and restaurants for any potential afterwards gatherings.

💻 All Are Welcome:
While the event would be Acorn-centric, we could welcome enthusiasts of other retro machines as well.

📅 Date & Time:
Thursday 19th October 7:30PM running until 10:00PM

📍 Location: Falkirk Business Hub

45 Vicar St, Falkirk FK1 1LL
Nearest car park (opposite building) : weir street

Access : use the side door on Vicar Street. This also has disabled access.

https://falkirkbusinesshub.co.uk/ – a contemporary venue centrally located, just a 2-minute walk from Grahamston Train Station and with seamless access to the M9 motorway between Stirling and Edinburgh. Numerous bars and restaurants are nearby for post-event socializing.
There is a car park next to the building which is free in the evenings.
Building includes disabled access and lifts.

If you are interested in attending, or have any suggestions, please reply to this post with your availability and any ideas you would like to contribute. This is a fantastic opportunity to reconnect with our favourite technology of yesteryear in Scotland, and I hope to see many of you there!

Warm regards,
Paul Bussey
Last edited by Tosk on Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:53 am, edited 14 times in total.
Acorn BBC Micro Model B 32K - O.S. 1.2 - Basic v2 - Issue 7 motherboard - Opus DDOS DFS, MMFS Solid State Drive, Graphics Extension ROM and Gotek https://retrorendezvous.org/
AndyMc1280

Re: New Retro Computing Event in Scotland – Seeking Your Input!

Post by AndyMc1280 »

I'm in Glasgow, but if there's disabled access (wheelchair) then I'd be very interested.
Have a few interesting toys I could bring as well 8)
Edit:
Of those days a Thursday or Friday would be good for me. When were you thinking ?
Last edited by AndyMc1280 on Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

I can be there. Thursday best.
walkerworks

Post by walkerworks »

I'd be interested in coming along - Thursday gets my vote.

Derek
Tosk

Post by Tosk »

AndyMc1280 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:55 pm I'm in Glasgow, but if there's disabled access (wheelchair) then I'd be very interested.
Edit:
Of those days a Thursday or Friday would be good for me. When were you thinking ?
Happy to say that there is good wheelchair access. The carpark (next to the building) has two disabled spaces that are free much of the time and there are two internal lifts in the building. Looks like Thursday has the most popular vote so far. I may place a Thursday date within the next 2-3 weeks.
Last edited by Tosk on Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acorn BBC Micro Model B 32K - O.S. 1.2 - Basic v2 - Issue 7 motherboard - Opus DDOS DFS, MMFS Solid State Drive, Graphics Extension ROM and Gotek https://retrorendezvous.org/
Tosk

Post by Tosk »

IanJeffray wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:14 pm I can be there. Thursday best.
Thanks Ian. Glad to have you onboard. Thursdays seems to fit everyone so far.
Tosk

Post by Tosk »

walkerworks wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:27 pm I'd be interested in coming along - Thursday gets my vote.

Derek
Thanks Derek.
AndyMc1280

Post by AndyMc1280 »

Tosk wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:21 pm
AndyMc1280 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:55 pm I'm in Glasgow, but if there's disabled access (wheelchair) then I'd be very interested.
Edit:
Happy to say that there is good wheelchair access. The carpark (next to the building) has two disabled spaces that are free much of the time and there are two internal lifts in the building. Looks like Thursday has the most popular vote so far. I may place a Thursday date within the next 2-3 weeks.
Excellenty :)
DaveLecky

Post by DaveLecky »

Hi there,

Great idea, I’d love to come I am easy on the day….no preferences.

Dave
Electron, Plus 3 and plus 1, AP6 and Home made MMFS PP SD interface
Electron Plus 1 Pres AP3/4 AP5 MGC ELKWiFi MRB
Beeb issue 7 with IFEL 16 socket Rom/Ram board
Master 128,CoPro
Master Compact
StrongA RPC,
Atom, Music 5000 and Keyboard
Tosk

Post by Tosk »

DaveLecky wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:17 pm Hi there,

Great idea, I’d love to come I am easy on the day….no preferences.

Dave
Thanks Dave - I will post a Thursday date in October next week, since Thursday seems to work for everyone so far.
Tosk

Post by Tosk »

Hi folks,

I've set the date for Thursday the 19th of October at 7:30pm.

Paul
Ramtop

Re: Retro Computing Event in Scotland – Thu 19th Oct

Post by Ramtop »

This sounds like an excellent idea, but due to work commitments I won't know if I can come until basically that afternoon.

I have various bits of my unreleased hardware that hopefully may be of some interest.
Gary
Tosk

Post by Tosk »

Should I list this as an ABUG event? I wasn’t sure since it felt like ABUG events were only officially organised by the admins of the site?
SKS1

Post by SKS1 »

Will be fun to see what others are up to! Hope to see folk there - if I am not too knackered after my physio appt...
Miserable old curmudgeon who still likes a bit of an ARM wrestle now and then. Pi 4, 3, ARMX6, SA Risc PC, A540, A440
Tosk

Post by Tosk »

SKS1 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:01 pm Will be fun to see what others are up to! Hope to see folk there - if I am not too knackered after my physio appt...
Thanks - fingers crossed on that physio.
Tosk

Post by Tosk »

Ramtop wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:09 pm This sounds like an excellent idea, but due to work commitments I won't know if I can come until basically that afternoon.

I have various bits of my unreleased hardware that hopefully may be of some interest.
Thanks Gary - would be great to see.

Paul
spanners

Post by spanners »

I can't make it that evening I'm afraid - we're away that week. Hope to meet up at a future one though.

D.
walkerworks

Post by walkerworks »

I can bring along my Electron clone - this is the board that amonst other things includes the Slogger +2 and Jafa Mode 7 Mk2.

Derek
danielj

Post by danielj »

If you want this moved into the abug section as it's acorn focused, I'm quite happy to!
Tosk

Post by Tosk »

danielj wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:42 pm If you want this moved into the abug section as it's acorn focused, I'm quite happy to!
Yes please - I think this will catch a few more forum members that way. I'll also pop up a new post in this sub-forum to note the post has moved.

Thanks Daniel
danielj

Post by danielj »

Tosk wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:55 pm Yes please - I think this will catch a few more forum members that way. I'll also pop up a new post in this sub-forum to note the post has moved.
No need - I left a shadow topic in place :)
DaveLecky

Re: ABUG Event in Scotland – Thu 19th Oct

Post by DaveLecky »

Hi folks,

It’s in the diary now so I’ve got to go…… looking forward to seeing you all.

Dave
Master 128,CoPro
Master Compact
StrongA RPC,
Tosk

Re: ABUG Event in Scotland – Thu 19th Oct (Booking thread now included)

Post by Tosk »

Thanks so much for all your interest in the ABUG Scotland event coming up just next week (Thursday 19th October)! I'm looking forward to meeting you and connecting with other like-minded Acorn users.

I've now set up a small website with a secure booking facility for the event (just £6) - this will cover meeting room costs and light refreshments at the Falikirk hub which is a great venue for the event. The initial room I've book caters for 10, but I could expand this using a larger meeting room should we need it.

The website is also an exercise for me to post and record my learning journey as I get re-acquainted with the BBC Micro after 40 years.

This link takes you directly to the event page in order to book and accepts PayPal or credit card.

https://retrorendezvous.org/oct2013

Any questions?

Message me and I'd be pleased to answer.
gebes

Post by gebes »

Thank you for organising this event. I've just shortly bought a ticket.

Look forward to attending next week.
SKS1

Post by SKS1 »

Ditto! SKS1 is Stuart, by the way.
Miserable old curmudgeon who still likes a bit of an ARM wrestle now and then. Pi 4, 3, ARMX6, SA Risc PC, A540, A440
Tosk

Post by Tosk »

walkerworks wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:05 pm I can bring along my Electron clone - this is the board that amonst other things includes the Slogger +2 and Jafa Mode 7 Mk2.

Derek
Look forward to seeing your Electron clone, Derek - thanks for offering to bringing it along.
Last edited by Tosk on Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tosk

Post by Tosk »

gebes wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:13 pm Thank you for organising this event. I've just shortly bought a ticket.

Look forward to attending next week.
Thanks - just seen your registration. Let me know if you plan to bring any equipment.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

Tosk wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:43 pm Let me know if you plan to bring any equipment.
I'll be bringing a couple of 'unusual' machines.
DaveLecky

Post by DaveLecky »

Hi Folks,

I’ll bring along a couple of electrons with upgrades and various cartridges also my upgraded Atom if it starts up …..

As I’m probably the closest, I can come along earlier to help with any setup etc . Let me know Paul.

Dave
Master 128,CoPro
Master Compact
StrongA RPC,
Tosk

Post by Tosk »

DaveLecky wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:52 am Hi Folks,

I’ll bring along a couple of electrons with upgrades and various cartridges also my upgraded Atom if it starts up …..

As I’m probably the closest, I can come along earlier to help with any setup etc . Let me know Paul.

Dave
Many thanks Dave - I will see if I can the building opened up for 7:00pm. This will give us more time for the evening and anyone else that wants to join us a bit before 7:30pm would be welcome. I'll pm you my mobile number and email you since I find the PM service quite sticky.

Return to “acorn & bbc micro user group (abug) events”