ABUG SOUTH (in person) 10 to 12 November 2023 (booking thread) - still places available

for the announcement (and discussion) of confirmed physical and virtual ABug events ONLY
BeebMaster

Re: ABUG SOUTH (in person) 10 to 12 November 2023 (booking thread)

Post by BeebMaster »

Sadly I can't be there, but if anyone is interested in getting a long-distance Econet going, I'm sure I should be able to connect up to that at some point during the weekend.
friesian7

Post by friesian7 »

Please add me for the 3 days.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Sign me up for Friday..Sunday please....

Hopefully this time I'll avoid coming back with Covid :(

Cheers.

Phill.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Prime wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:12 pm Sign me up for Friday..Sunday please....

Hopefully this time I'll avoid coming back with Covid :(

Cheers.

Phill.
Right Hotel booked, on the strengthe that there are still places available......

Cheers.

Phill.
sa_scott

Post by sa_scott »

I would be certainly keen on attending. I'm based in Godalming, so Camberley would be a 30 minute drive for me. I might like to see Polymer Picker running on a real Beeb :D
--
Stephen Scott, Digital Media Muckerupper
Games: Androidz Redux, Headcase Hotel, Polymer Picker
www.sassquad.net
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

sa_scott wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:13 pm I would be certainly keen on attending. I'm based in Godalming, so Camberley would be a 30 minute drive for me. I might like to see Polymer Picker running on a real Beeb :D
Do you want me to add you to the list of attendees? If so, what days would you be attending?
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
sa_scott

Post by sa_scott »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:52 pm
sa_scott wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:13 pm I would be certainly keen on attending. I'm based in Godalming, so Camberley would be a 30 minute drive for me. I might like to see Polymer Picker running on a real Beeb :D
Do you want me to add you to the list of attendees? If so, what days would you be attending?
I'll PM you.
--
Stephen Scott, Digital Media Muckerupper
Games: Androidz Redux, Headcase Hotel, Polymer Picker
www.sassquad.net
flynnjs

Post by flynnjs »

I'd like to attend, please add me to the list. Thanks
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

flynnjs wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:02 am I'd like to attend, please add me to the list. Thanks
For all three days?
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
flynnjs

Post by flynnjs »

Yep, all three days. Thanks
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

Please could I book for all three days? Although I am not sure exactly when I can arrive on Friday.

Thanks!
DamoJay

Post by DamoJay »

Please can you add me to all days please . Many thanks, Damian.
fx210,1

Post by fx210,1 »

Could I come along please?

I was very recently reunited with a BBC Master 128 and some 5 1/4 inch floppy disks that have been sitting in the loft of my childhood home for 30+ years (originally had an earlier BBC Model B too, but unfortunately seems to be lost!)

This lead me to these forums and then I found this event that is conveniently coming up soon and is not too far for me.

My hastily chosen forum username (sorry) is a command I recall very well (I think from turning off sounds when playing games at the back of the class!?) but am looking for some help to recall all the (A)DFS commands to see what's on those disks, if they still work...

Hoping it would be possible to temporarily borrow an rgbtohdmi converter and a disc drive so I know it still works before shelling out on my own adaptor and dual 5 1/4 80 track drive :D

As I guess is the case with many people here, many years playing with BBC computers at school lead me to a career in IT. Would love to just chat and hear about Beeb stuff to see what comes back!

Cheers
fx210 (Mark)
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

fx210,1 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:53 pm Could I come along please?
Of course. But please can you let me know if you are coming for all 3 days or just certain days.

And, I am pretty sure we can accommodate your wishes and more...
fx210,1

Post by fx210,1 »

Thanks! Definitely all day Saturday. Possibly Friday night if I can move my schedule around.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

fx210,1 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:59 pm Thanks! Definitely all day Saturday. Possibly Friday night if I can move my schedule around.
I've added you to the list. Do try to get there for Friday night. There is a good buzz* then.

*Referring to an exciting and joyful mood and not the kind of buzz you get from an unshielded PSU. (Although, this kind of buzz is available too if that's what you are in the mood for.)
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

It looks like I won't make it as I have some scary bills rapidly approaching that will take up more than I'd put aside for ABUG. If anybody wants my place, please go ahead.

Everybody that makes it, I hope you enjoy yourself. Please post plenty of photos to make me jealous. :)

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
philpem

Post by philpem »

BeebMaster wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:21 pm Sadly I can't be there, but if anyone is interested in getting a long-distance Econet going, I'm sure I should be able to connect up to that at some point during the weekend.
I can bring my Econet Pi Bridge along, but people will need to bring their own Econet cables!
I've only got the two-port terminated hub on the Bridge, and two 4-port socket boxes - and I think my cables are the Beebmaster standard ones, so probably a metre or maybe two.
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
gavinlew

Post by gavinlew »

Hi

I’m ever so sorry but we are not going to be able to make this weekend.

Due to a change of jobs/lifestyle/relocating back to Bristol and shift patterns means this meet will not be possible.

Many thanks for organising this and hope to be able to attend in 2024

Gavin and Sally
--
Atom | Elk +1,+3,Prime +3
B Issue 4, 7 Econet, Wifi Modem | B+ 64k |
Master, QuadOS, External Datacentre, Econet, Morley Teletext | Compact, Econet
A3010 4Mb, Econet, IDE Podule | Pocketbook I and II
Z88 with Beeblink
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

You should all by now have received a private message dealing with arrangements to pay the ABUG fee. If you have not received the message or there are issues with payment, please let me know.
friesian7

Re: ABUG SOUTH (in person) 10 to 12 November 2023 (booking thread) - still places available

Post by friesian7 »

What's the timing for the 3 days? Or more specifically, when on Friday do things start?

Jarod
1024MAK

Re: ABUG SOUTH (in person) 10 to 12 November 2023 (booking thread) - still places available

Post by 1024MAK »

Typically from about 14:00 (2pm) onwards people start arriving on the Friday. Although most don’t arrive until after 16:00 (4pm) or later.

The staff generally want the people to vacate the room before midnight each day.

Saturday is by far the most busy.

On the Sunday, the morning is busy. At lunchtime, or just before, people start packing up to leave.

Mark
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

As the organiser, I am almost always the first to arrive on Friday. I usually get there in time to have lunch first and then start setting up at about 1pm. Quite often there is a Friday morning event already taking place, so we cannot even get access to the venue until about 1pmEarly attendees are very welcome to help with setting up.

As 1024MAK says, people start leaving at about lunchtime on Sunday. Occasionally, a very small number people chose to stay at the venue for Sunday night - but not for anything ABUG related, just to chill.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Two new Electron Products will be introduced at this meeting:

(1) Mark Hillier's New Plus 1 - Mark is planning to attend on the saturday :D
     This is great work by Mark - it copies the original Plus 1 case, however, Mark has managed to add a few extra features:
     16K ROM support
     MMC socket - accessible without opening the case
     Joystick interface added to the LH end of the case.

(2) Retro Hardware's Ultimate :roll: Floppy Disc Interface (New AP3-4) which will replace the current Pegasus 400 interface (only a few left now!)
     Support for both DFS and ADFS
     Switchable choice of ADFS - Acorn's 1V0 and ACP's 1V5
     Future support built-in for when ADFS E00 becomes available [-o<
     Switchable choice of DFS - Sloggers DFS, as used in the Pegasus 400, and ACP's DFS - both leave Page at E00 e.g. support RAM overlay
     Switchable Priority e.g. DFS or ADFS at power-up and Ctrl/Brk
     Either or both filing systems can be switched-out
     Supports ROM 13
     ROM 13 can contain either 4 or 8 banks of Flash ROM images - depends on ROM fitted e.g. SST39F010 of SST39F020
     ROM 13 is bank selectable using the AQR Page command

Should be fun :D

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Anyone coming that lives in or around Bristol?

I have 3 boxes of tapes that I need to get to Gavin! Unfortunately, he can't make it this year . . .

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

daveejhitchins wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:28 pm Anyone coming that lives in or around Bristol?

I have 3 boxes of tapes that I need to get to Gavin! Unfortunately, he can't make it this year . . .

Dave H.
Sadly mattyj isn't coming either.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:30 pm
daveejhitchins wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:28 pm Anyone coming that lives in or around Bristol?

Dave H.
Sadly mattyj isn't coming either.
I noticed :(

Dave H.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I'm an hour from Bristol and I go in now and again to meet up with hoglet and/or revaldinho - could perhaps arrange a complicated transfer?
jubber

Post by jubber »

I can't make it for all three days (gran is having her 101st birthday that weekend!) but I'd like to try and make it along for one of the days. Hopefully it's okay to pay £15 on the day, on the off-chance I can make it.

Return to “acorn & bbc micro user group (abug) events”