ABUG SOUTH (in person) 10 to 12 November 2023 (booking thread) - still places available

for the announcement (and discussion) of confirmed physical and virtual ABug events ONLY
daveejhitchins

Re: ABUG SOUTH (in person) 10 to 12 November 2023 (booking thread) - still places available

Post by daveejhitchins »

BigEd wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:52 pm I'm an hour from Bristol and I go in now and again to meet up with hoglet and/or revaldinho - could perhaps arrange a complicated transfer?
Thanks, Ed and Mark - Gavin's new address is Chipping Sodbury - not sure who'll be best placed. However before all that here's a photo of the 3 boxes which may decide who can take them :shock: It may be that the boxes could be emptied!
IMG_2265.jpeg

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
BigEd

Re: ABUG SOUTH (in person) 10 to 12 November 2023 (booking thread) - still places available

Post by BigEd »

I can detour to Chipping Sodbury on my next trip to Bristol, so long as timing isn't too crucial, it'd probably be this side of Christmas.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Chipping Sodbury (the market town, the (new) main street is amazing wide) is not far from junction 18 of the M4 motorway. I know the main part fairly well (well, the bakery anyway).

If Gavin (or someone else from the household) will be in on the late afternoon on Sunday 12th, I can drop the boxes in on my way home (I will be passing through on the M4 anyway).

If no one will be in on Sunday, then maybe Ed would be better, as he is closer than me.

Mark
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Dave and Ed, Gavin has contacted me, so I will sort out the arrangements privately.

Mark
danrolfe

Post by danrolfe »

Looking forward to meeting you at my first Acorn meeting next weekend. I've been reminding myself of the state of my not-quite-working A3000 this evening. I've successfully made some icons disappear from the the already minimal icon bar :?
IMG_0446.JPEG
and discovered a not-quite-mandelbrot program I presumably wrote at school on my only Archimedes floppy disk.
IMG_0445.JPEG
Is there likely to be someone there who can help me find and fix what I assume is a battery-damaged track stopping my left mouse button working? My electronics and soldering skills are not up to tackling something so precious.
philpem

Re: ABUG SOUTH (in person) 10 to 12 November 2023 (booking thread)

Post by philpem »

BeebMaster wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:21 pm Sadly I can't be there, but if anyone is interested in getting a long-distance Econet going, I'm sure I should be able to connect up to that at some point during the weekend.
Just noticed this - has anyone volunteered to set this up?
If not, I'm up for it, happy to host the server end if needed. Seems like we'd just need a cheap VPS running Wireguard, and set the Pi Bridges up to talk to it.
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
NickLuvsRetro

Post by NickLuvsRetro »

[EDIT - mistake on my part, see below]

I really want to attend this, so many people I'd love to chat with. Ah well, maybe next year. :cry:

(I'm attending another event that weekend for which tickets have already been purchased)
Last edited by NickLuvsRetro on Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickLuvsRetro

Post by NickLuvsRetro »

Yes, I'd like to pop down on the Saturday if that's still possible? :D I think it takes about ~3 hrs to drive from Norwich. I'll probably just be there for the Saturday but the prices in Travelodge don't seem to excessive so I might have the freedom to stay the Sunday as well.

PS - Thanks to IanS, seems I had a mistake in my diary, my event is actually in another 2 weeks! Diary fail! #-o
BigEd

Re: ABUG SOUTH (in person) 10 to 12 November 2023 (booking thread)

Post by BigEd »

philpem wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:49 pm
BeebMaster wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:21 pm Sadly I can't be there, but if anyone is interested in getting a long-distance Econet going, I'm sure I should be able to connect up to that at some point during the weekend.
Just noticed this - has anyone volunteered to set this up?
If not, I'm up for it, happy to host the server end if needed. Seems like we'd just need a cheap VPS running Wireguard, and set the Pi Bridges up to talk to it.
It'd be great to see a long-distance econet set up! Maybe switzerland could join in too...
mark71

Post by mark71 »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:55 pm As the organiser, I am almost always the first to arrive on Friday. I usually get there in time to have lunch first and then start setting up at about 1pm. Quite often there is a Friday morning event already taking place, so we cannot even get access to the venue until about 1pmEarly attendees are very welcome to help with setting up.

As 1024MAK says, people start leaving at about lunchtime on Sunday. Occasionally, a very small number people chose to stay at the venue for Sunday night - but not for anything ABUG related, just to chill.
As attending for the first time on the Saturday, what time to plan to get there for to get in to the room to setup?. :D
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

I don’t know what time the room opens in the morning, however, attendees start wandering in from about 8:30 onwards.

But it doesn’t get busy until after those staying have had breakfast, which is nearer 10:00.

Mark
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Access to the room is available as soon as there are staff there. Breakfast is served from 8am on Saturday. So it will be at or before that time.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
NickLuvsRetro

Post by NickLuvsRetro »

It's unlikely I'll be there before lunchtime on Saturday, will there be space for little A3020 and tiny DELL tft? [-o< (or alternatively, a Macbook pro with RPCEmu/Arculator on it)
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

So we have 32 attendees, all fully paid up. So it is going to be busy and very rewarding. We don't have quite enough tables to give everyone a full table each. So, if those of you who have access to any trestle tables could bring them along, this would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to the weekend and seeing you guys again.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

I’m bringing two 6ft tables, should cover philpem and I.
mogwaay

Post by mogwaay »

Hi all,

It's my first time attending and I'm travelling via public transport from London on the Saturday. Does anyone know if it's better to get a Taxi from Fleet or Blackwater? I don't really know either town or which would be the easist to get a taxi from.

Also, what time on the Saturday would the hangovers have subsided would be best to arrive? :wink:

I'm hoping to bring a couple of machines too (Elk and a small homebrew 8088 PC), hope that's ok, happy to just perch on the end of a table somewhere if anyone's interested.

Cheers,
Chris!
james

Post by james »

Blackwater’s on the Guildford / Reading line so not a natural route out of London. It’s sandwiched between a small parade of shops and a large roundabout. You’d need to pre-book a taxi.

Fleet’s on the mainline out of Waterloo and the National Rail website seems to imply taxis are available. Though I don’t know if there are usually taxis at the station
mogwaay

Post by mogwaay »

james wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:18 pm Blackwater’s on the Guildford / Reading line so not a natural route out of London. It’s sandwiched between a small parade of shops and a large roundabout. You’d need to pre-book a taxi.

Fleet’s on the mainline out of Waterloo and the National Rail website seems to imply taxis are available. Though I don’t know if there are usually taxis at the station
Thanks, yeah looking at it, Fleet is much easier to get to, not sure why I got stuck on Blackwater... I'll phone ahead for a taxi when I'm enroute I think, cheers!
Prime

Post by Prime »

Right,

Pretty much all packed and ready, any last minutre requests for stuff to bring?

Cheers.

Phill.
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

Anyone have a spare ribbon cable suitable for connecting a gotek to a standard BBC floppy drive connector? Just the usual “rectangular connector of 2x17 little holes” at each end. I seem to have misplaced mine and I’d like to use my Gotek at ABUG!

EDIT: All sorted!
Last edited by VectorEyes on Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Prime wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:52 pm Pretty much all packed and ready, any last minutre requests for stuff to bring?

Cheers.

Phill.
Don't forget the EPROM programmer, I sense an elusive 2732 heading your way!
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Pernod wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:21 pm
Prime wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:52 pm Pretty much all packed and ready, any last minutre requests for stuff to bring?
Don't forget the EPROM programmer, I sense an elusive 2732 heading your way!
I think you sense correctly :) And they're both already packed :)

Cheers.

Phill.
helpful

Post by helpful »

mogwaay wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:59 pm Does anyone know if it's better to get a Taxi from Fleet or Blackwater? I don't really know either town or which would be the easist to get a taxi from.
Fleet is the one to use. Lots of taxis waiting around outside, whereas there's nothing at Blackwater. However, note that Fleet is closed this Sunday due to engineering works :-(

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - https://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - https://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
friesian7

Post by friesian7 »

helpful wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:14 am
mogwaay wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:59 pm Does anyone know if it's better to get a Taxi from Fleet or Blackwater? I don't really know either town or which would be the easist to get a taxi from.
Fleet is the one to use. Lots of taxis waiting around outside, whereas there's nothing at Blackwater. However, note that Fleet is closed this Sunday due to engineering works :-(

Bryan.
Yes, coming from London Waterloo you have Farnborough or Fleet; the latter is 5 minutes further on from the former. Fleet is closer to The Ely, but Farnborough has a few extra services per hour, and appears to be operating normally on Sunday. Blackwater is the closest to The Ely and a short drive along the A30, but unless you are coming from Reading or Guildford (also handy for Gatwick) then you are better off with Farnborough/Fleet. Both are served by Black Cabs/Hackney Carriages.

For local private taxis: Able Cars Yateley 07498 506244, Jet Cars 07875 312747, Macs Cabs 07919 915912, Yateley Taxis 07739 592113.

Jarod
danrolfe

Post by danrolfe »

Overpacked 😬 and planning to be there between 3 and 4. I can bring a table if that helps.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Heavy traffic on the M3 southbound.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

ABug November is open :D
IMG_7275.jpeg
Mark
mogwaay

Post by mogwaay »

friesian7 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:21 am
helpful wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:14 am

Bryan.
Yes, coming from London Waterloo you have Farnborough or Fleet; the latter is 5 minutes further on from the former. Fleet is closer to The Ely, but Farnborough has a few extra services per hour, and appears to be operating normally on Sunday. Blackwater is the closest to The Ely and a short drive along the A30, but unless you are coming from Reading or Guildford (also handy for Gatwick) then you are better off with Farnborough/Fleet. Both are served by Black Cabs/Hackney Carriages.

For local private taxis: Able Cars Yateley 07498 506244, Jet Cars 07875 312747, Macs Cabs 07919 915912, Yateley Taxis 07739 592113.

Jarod
Many thanks, making a beeline for Fleet now with my Elk under my ARM. See you later!

Return to “acorn & bbc micro user group (abug) events”