Risc PC can ping but has no internet

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

simulant

Risc PC can ping but has no internet

Post by simulant »

Hi, I hope someone can help.

I set my Risc PC networking up using Ethernet (I'm on Risc OS 4) and I can ping google.com and other domain names. And I can ping local and internet IPs too!

Yet NetSurf gives me no internet. And my router doesn't show the Risc PC listed on the LAN either!

I might be going mad!

Thanks if anyone can suggest what to try in order for a fix :)
danielj

Re: Risc PC can ping but has no internet

Post by danielj »

Does !FTPc work? Can you FTP into things? If the pinging is working and names are resolving it sounds like everything is fine from a networking perspective. I'm not surprised it's not showing up on the LAN, mind. It's probably not speaking whatever the router is expecting it to speak.

NetSurf on an RPC is, in truth, going to be a bit of an exercise in pain. Anything approaching the modern web is.
simulant

Post by simulant »

Hi thanks for the reply.

Yes, FTP is working great!

So the problem does seem to be with web browsing. I've tried 2 browsers (NetSurf and Fresco), both can't connect and won't load any websites up.

I wonder if there's a proxy setting turned on somewhere that shouldn't be or something like that?
flibble

Post by flibble »

Can you access a website by IP address on netsurf? (try http://http://77.68.51.29/)

I have vague memories that netsurf might use a different 'resolver' environment variable from some of the other risc os programs.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I can use NetSurf on my RISC PC reasonably well. (In fact, given the speed of the forum these days, NetSurf keeps up quite well....)

I made a set on how to connect to websites here, if it's any help:

https://www.beebmaster.co.uk/32bit/EthConfig.html
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

(It if helps, it doesn't seem to show up as an attached device in my (Virgin Media) router either. But I have its MAC address mapped to a reserved IP address in the router. I tend to do that for everything, though in the case of the RISC PC it probably doesn't matter as it's configured for a fixed address anyway.)
simulant

Post by simulant »

Thanks for the reply guys.

I've tried accessing websites as IPs as suggested, but still no luck.

I've also checked all my settings in !Configure against the ones in your screenshots and that's not working for me either.

Packman and FTP are working great though...

Thanks for any more ideas :)
Sophira

Post by Sophira »

The fact that Packman and FTP are working suggests to me that you may have an invalid proxy setting in NetSurf.

Try going to the Choices window from the menu on the iconbar, then go to Connection. For most people, their proxy setting here should be "No proxy". If you have it set to something else then that may be causing the issue. (That said, if you know you have a proxy, make sure the settings in the window are correct, instead.)

[edit: Although that said, I just realised you said that Fresco doesn't work either and it seems unlikely that both have invalid settings! Still, it's worth a shot.]
simulant

Post by simulant »

Thanks, yes strangely there's no proxy settings configured. So I'm still not sure why my browsers aren't functioning.
ccawley2011

Post by ccawley2011 »

Do you have the option to obtain the IP address via DHCP when configuring the network interface? If you can use that, it should be the easiest way to connect to the internet on the RiscPC.

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”