High Score Challenge - S21 - R2 - Bubble Bobble

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
Venger

Re: High Score Challenge - S21 - R2 - Bubble Bobble

Post by Venger »

bob147 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:35 am Possibly the wrong forum for this but it's the first Bubble Bobble thread I found so here we are :D . It seems mad to me that even the high scoring elite players in this thread can only get to about level 30 (or perhaps are choosing to, because it's easier to farm points on the earlier levels). Was it a crafty way of avoiding having to fit 100 levels on the disc? Has anyone checked they're all there?

The arcade game was very fair in that if you were skillful enough and understood how the bonuses work, you could finish the game on a single credit, whereas that doesn't seem to be the case on the beeb, which is a shame!
There's no choosing to farm points in the high score competition as it's against the rules. The game on the Beeb is a lot harder than some other versions that I've played. For example, I completed the C64 version back in the day (albeit with some continues, which the Beeb version lacks). Not all the features are there in this version, although some of the umbrellas, and the treasure room on level 20 are present. Bub (or Bob) feels a little on the sluggish side and you don't tend to move very far when you jump (although this is true of other versions that I've played).

If you think you can do better, you're more than welcome to join the high score competition. The more the merrier :)
bob147

Re: High Score Challenge - S21 - R2 - Bubble Bobble

Post by bob147 »

That was my point, that if none of you guys were getting past level 30 then there must be some quite serious difficulty changes that cause the game to be radically different because that wasn't my experience with other (non BBC) versions of the game. I am quite confident that I will not be able to do better!

But you're right, one of these days I will have to join the fun and battle it out to see if I can avoid last place.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: games - high scores”