What to do about (phpBB) slowing down things❓

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the stardot forum
Louis.m

What to do about (phpBB) slowing down things❓

Post by Louis.m »

Hello 0010 all,

I'm wondering if there is anyone who knows what is causing the following problem and has a solution to it.

Whenever I visited StarDot (or any other forum powered by phpBB), my internet connection (Windhoos 10, Firefox browser) becomes irritatingly slow. Being logged in to the forum or not makes no difference.

Viewing youtubes becomes impossible (videos constant pausing, loading for a few seconds, then play for a few seconds and pausing, over and over again), other sites are also loading very slow.

The only solution I've found so far is to reboot my laptop (MSI) and router (Fritz! Box), but that's unworkable. If, during a visit to StarDot, I want to search elsewhere, I first have to reboot my whole system.
Even during writing this topic I had to do a reboot.

That's no fun anymore ❗
Gr :D :D tings, Louis

[-o< May your wires be long and your nerves be strong❗
baz4096

Re: What to do about (phpBB) slowing down things❓

Post by baz4096 »

Hi Louis

Do you have any browser extensions installed that might be interfering with your browsing experience?
phpBB, even the latest version that we just updated to earlier this week, are relatively lightweight and don't rely on lots of javascript or large images for example.

We have a very vanilla install of phpBB, with a couple of extensions. The 'autodraft' extension saves copies of un-submitted posts whilst you're editing - you'll see the message pop up every 30 seconds or so below the text box - but this is very lightweight also.

Have you tried browsing in 'Incognito' mode? This would eliminate any browser extensions that might be interfering with phpBB. Failing that, you could also try a different browser to see if you suffer the same degradation in experience.

Chris
MillieTD83

Re: What to do about (phpBB) slowing down things❓

Post by MillieTD83 »

Could also start Firefox in its 'safe mode' or with a fresh profile.
REPEAT PRINT'"FOZZY!!!!! ";:UNTIL FALSE

BBC Master 128 w/MultiOS, PiTubeDirect, Econet, Datacentre+CF-IDE interface, Gotek

Return to “stardot FORUM”