Can't Access NFS Shares After Ubuntu Update

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
AndyMc1280

Re: Can't Access NFS Shares After Ubuntu Update

Post by AndyMc1280 »

philpem wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:06 am At the risk of being dunked - has anyone tried Sunfish?

I vaguely remember it being a bit of a pig to configure (compared to OmniClient) but a lot more reliable with modern servers.
Yes. It crashed to absolute moo. Couldn't even enter any settings. Haven't tried on older systems but RO5 wasn't having it. I could load but it crashes soon after.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Yes, I've been using Sunfish for years:

https://www.beebmaster.co.uk/32bit/RPCSunfish.html

But the problem with it, similar to Image NFS, is the way it stores load/exec addresses for files which aren't RISC-OS-filetyped. Instead it date stamps these files which overwrites the BBC-era file information. This is disastrous when attempting to use Level 4 FS to export a Sunfish/Image NFS/Acorn NFS NFS share as an Econet file server disc. When it encounters a BBC library file with load FFFF0E00 and exec FFFF0E23 for example, it thinks Ah this is not a RISC OS filetype, I can stamp it. Then nothing runs.
sP1d3r

Post by sP1d3r »

BeebMaster wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:57 am So it's not really sustainable long-term. I am going to have to find some time (and I think a spare, disposable machine) where I can have a go at building my own kernel with NFSv2.
I started to read a book called 'Linux Kernel in a Nutshell' by Greg Kroah-Hartman, an e-book I downloaded some time ago which professes to educate one to compile a Linux kernel, if you'd have any interest in reading it it's available at;

http://www.kroah.com/lkn

This url is the free version and contains a lot of info about it.
I've been meaning to get round to reading it through as it seems very useful and although it's old now, the steps and procedures are applicable.
Last edited by sP1d3r on Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
philpem

Post by philpem »

sP1d3r wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:42 am I started to read a book called 'Linux in a Nutshell' by Greg Kroah-Hartman, an e-book I downloaded some time ago which professes to educate one to compile a Linux kernel, if you'd have any interest in reading it it's available at;

http://www.kroah.com/lkn

This url is the free version and contains a lot of info about it.
I've been meaning to get round to reading it through as it seems very useful and although it's old now, the steps and procedures are applicable.
There's nothing wrong with building it the "old way", but if I wanted to build a Debian-variant kernel with one or two changes, I'd probably use the Debian tools to do it. The advantage there is it'd stay as a "deb" package which you could add, remove or upgrade as desired.

Essentially you'd download the build dependencies and package source code, then "debuild -us -uc" gives you an unsigned package out the other end, which you can install with "dpkg -i".
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
sP1d3r

Post by sP1d3r »

philpem wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:22 am
There's nothing wrong with building it the "old way", but if I wanted to build a Debian-variant kernel with one or two changes, I'd probably use the Debian tools to do it. The advantage there is it'd stay as a "deb" package which you could add, remove or upgrade as desired.

Essentially you'd download the build dependencies and package source code, then "debuild -us -uc" gives you an unsigned package out the other end, which you can install with "dpkg -i".
Thanks for the info Philpem, if you don't know this, it's a different consideration.
I was sometime ago compiling a kernel for Pandaboard Linux 20.04 and although the steps were easy to copy, understanding them is the thing that's time consuming.
I didn't realise after building the Ubuntu image that because it was built on an 18.04 install, the modules were compressed and before running depmod -a the image wasn't really up to anything, but if I'd known at the time it would've been simple to do.

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”