Daily overload

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the stardot forum
sweh

Daily overload

Post by sweh »

Pretty much every day, at 2045 US Eastern (so 0145 UK time) the site becomes unresponsive. It just doesn't respond to web requests.

This doesn't seem to change with daylight savings (although I don't recall if the 1 or 2 weeks where the US is different to the UK also caused an hour difference).

Today, instead of just hanging, I got a SQL error
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Too many connections [1040]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
Probably related!
Rgds
Stephen
IanJeffray

Re: Daily overload

Post by IanJeffray »

That's the error I always get - nothing new.
danielj

Post by danielj »

I can't see anything in the logs and haven't noticed it whilst I've been logged in. There was a point where something was attempting to DDOS us, I guess it could be something that attempts to scan at that time. How long does it last for?
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

IanJeffray wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:57 pm That's the error I always get - nothing new.
Me too. I always thought that some backup was taking place.
danielj wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:03 pm How long does it last for?
I've never timed it. It feels like about half an hour, or perhaps even as long as an hour. Others will probably be able to give you more accurate times.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

KenLowe wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:25 pm It feels like about half an hour, or perhaps even as long as an hour.
Always around that kind of duration - 2-3am-ish.
I just assumed it was deliberate/known/doing backup/whatever. I see it very regularly/daily, being nocturnal. :lol:
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

IanJeffray wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:45 pm Always around that kind of duration - 2-3am-ish.
I just assumed it was deliberate/known/doing backup/whatever. I see it very regularly/daily, being nocturnal. :lol:
I've noticed it too, and assumed the same.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
sweh

Post by sweh »

How many people are trying to use this at 2am? Wow...

Most days it does hang for me; yesterday was the oddity. Normally it lasts around 30 minutes or so.
Rgds
Stephen
danielj

Post by danielj »

It's feasible the whole system's backing up - but there's nothing set to do it at that time in the forum software. Could be something server side? I confess I don't really get my hands dirty with that for fear of breaking it :D

d.
MarkMoxon

Post by MarkMoxon »

danielj wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:23 pm It's feasible the whole system's backing up - but there's nothing set to do it at that time in the forum software. Could be something server side? I confess I don't really get my hands dirty with that for fear of breaking it :D
Are there any other websites that use the same database server, and if so, do they also go down at the same time? If so, that would be a handy clue.

Mark
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

I find that various other forums based in the same time zone also are a bit sluggish between midnight and 02:00.

I’m not generally trying to use any between 02:00 and 05:00 though!

And yes, some phpBB do perform a background backup overnight. I would have thought that this in itself should not result in an error though,

But I don’t know the specifics for this forum.

Calling…
roland wrote: @roland
Can you help with this query?

Mark
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

MarkMoxon wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:39 am
danielj wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:23 pm It's feasible the whole system's backing up - but there's nothing set to do it at that time in the forum software. Could be something server side? I confess I don't really get my hands dirty with that for fear of breaking it :D
Are there any other websites that use the same database server, and if so, do they also go down at the same time? If so, that would be a handy clue.

Mark
Yes, the archives that we have. But I can’t remember any links at the moment :oops: #-o

Is www.retrosoftware.co.uk on the same server?

What about http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk ?

While on the subject, the landing page here https://stardot.org.uk/ could do with some work. Apart from the link to the StarDot forum, the other links no longer work.

Mark
sweh

Post by sweh »

FWIW, on yesterday's hang I was able to get to the static stardot home page, but any /forums/ page hung. So it could easily be database blocking, and when too many connections block then people start to see the "Too many connections" error.
Rgds
Stephen
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

I used cloudflare.com for free ddos and badbot protection on my website , maybe it'll help here too ?
Image Image Image Image
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Funnily enough, the "too many connections" error happened to me last night, or this morning, at 1.47am! I'm not usually Beebing that late, but the "autosave" we'd been discussing in another thread had been niggling away at me all afternoon and evening so late on I started to write something, and by then I had a utility that would work in host processor but doesn't work quite so well if a second processor is in use. More of that later!

Return to “stardot FORUM”