Arculator v2.2 released!

discuss emulators of 26-bit acorn systems e.g. arculator and rpcemu
SarahWalker

Arculator v2.2 released!

Post by SarahWalker »

Arculator v2.2 is now available. Changes from v2.1 :
  • New podules: Acorn AEH50 Ethernet II, Acorn AEH54 Ethernet III, Acorn AKA32 SCSI Podule, Design IT Ethernet 200, Morley A3000 User and Analogue Port, Risc Developments High Density Floppy Controller
  • Support for HFE v3 and SCP disc images
  • Integrated debugger
  • Optimisations
  • Bugfixes
As always, it's available at http://b-em.bbcmicro.com/arculator/index.html.
kieranhj

Re: Arculator v2.2 released!

Post by kieranhj »

Fantastic work, as ever Sarah! =D> =D> =D> Thanks for the new roll up release, I know you've been working on a lot of new features for a while. 8)
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Thanks Sarah for this, especially happy about the HFE and SCP support :)
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

Another release of Arculator is always welcomed but the quiet addition of *** NETWORKING *** in to this seems like a massive deal to me. I'm amazed at all the podule support in Arculator now (PC podule and Colourcard also being amazingly impressive to me) but "it just works" networking, with no faff or anything else to install is just amazing. The fact Ether3's emulated should mean RISCiX networking would work I guess - not tried it - but ShareFS working is just so very cool - hassle-free file exchange with real machines. Wow. Amazing work. =D> \:D/
NickLuvsRetro

Post by NickLuvsRetro »

Absolutely brilliant release, thank you Sarah! =D>

Currently playing around with the debugger which is proving useful. I found some commands (by chance just typing things) but is there a list on the site or should I just peek at the sources?

EDIT - Ah! h/H for "Help", obviously. :D
Last edited by NickLuvsRetro on Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker »

"?" is your friend.
SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker »

Arcadian wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:45 pm Thanks Sarah for this, especially happy about the HFE and SCP support :)
Might be some confusion - HFE was present in v2.1. v2.2 adds HFE v3, which is required for Inferno, Overload and Burn 'Out. You can probably spot a connection there :)
garfield

Post by garfield »

SarahWalker wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:52 pm Arculator v2.2 is now available.

As always, it's available at http://b-em.bbcmicro.com/arculator/index.html.
Well done! =D>
DavidLowe

Post by DavidLowe »

IanJeffray wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:18 am Another release of Arculator is always welcomed but the quiet addition of *** NETWORKING *** in to this seems like a massive deal to me. I'm amazed at all the podule support in Arculator now (PC podule and Colourcard also being amazingly impressive to me) but "it just works" networking, with no faff or anything else to install is just amazing. The fact Ether3's emulated should mean RISCiX networking would work I guess - not tried it - but ShareFS working is just so very cool - hassle-free file exchange with real machines. Wow. Amazing work. =D> \:D/
I’m guessing this should also mean it’s possible to talk to an Econet Pi bridge over AUN… ?
Acorn Electron, Plus 1, Plus 3, AP6 v2, WiFi; BBC Master 128 (Retroclinic), Econet; A3000, 4 MB, RISC OS 3, Econet; A410/1 upgraded to 4 MB, RISC OS 3, Econet; RISC PC 600, Strong ARM, RISC OS 3.7, Econet; Raspberry PI RISC OS 5; Pi Econet Bridge
philpem

Post by philpem »

Thanks again for your hard work, Sarah!

I know we've talked about this on Discord earlier, I'm just posting this here for archival (Discord ain't the greatest for finding old threads).

Thanks for adding HFE v3 support! :D

With one small patch, you can use it to play The Crystal Rainforest and other Sherston games:

Code: Select all

In src/disc_hfe.c, find the function "process_v3_track", then look for this line:

case HFE_V3_OPCODE_RAND:
                /*Not currently implemented, just add a byte of zeroes*/
                wp += 8;
                break;

Change it to look like:

case HFE_V3_OPCODE_RAND:
/* HFE v3 request for a random byte - used for weak bit / weak sector emulation e.g. Sherston titles */
mfm->track_data[side][wp >> 3] = rand() & 0xFF;
                wp += 8;
                break;
I'm sure someone will chime in to say "but Sherston weren't the only publishing house who used weak bits/sectors" ... no, but they're the one who were most notorious for using them on the Acorn RISC platform!

Thanks also to Scarybeasts for the wonderful writeup covering the BBC version of Sherston's protection scheme: https://scarybeastsecurity.blogspot.com ... ction.html
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

Sarah, if it's any use to you, I've posted an updated Oak SCSI ROM here, which is the last available version with a few issues I've resolved.
garfield

Post by garfield »

Time for a stupid question:

Should HOSTFS work with Risc OS 2 ?
SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker »

No. RO3 only.
garfield

Post by garfield »

SarahWalker wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:45 am No. RO3 only.
Right. Thanks for the clarification.
pixelblip

Post by pixelblip »

Well done Sarah.......everyone is lucky to have such talented people at Stardot doing their own thing
Sophira

Post by Sophira »

garfield wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:51 am
SarahWalker wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:45 am No. RO3 only.
Right. Thanks for the clarification.
BTW, in case you're curious about the reasoning (although I'm not Sarah so I can't speak authoritatively on this), I'm pretty sure it's because the ability to transparently implement image filing systems (ie. to implement arbitrary filing systems without having to worry about doing all the disc access yourself, and to have the result work like a native filing system) was only implemented from RISC OS 3 onwards.

(There were of course file-backed filing systems before then (Spark and ArcFS come to mind) but they had to use non-standard methods; Spark didn't use standard Filer windows and couldn't run applications without decompressing them first, while ArcFS was much better and allowed running programs in archives, but - as I understand it - worked by pretending it was a network filing system instead, resulting in a file path like "arcfs#Archive.$" which you were unable to *Dir to and could only use via Filer windows.)

It's probably theoretically possible to write HostFS for RISC OS 2, but it'd be more difficult both to develop and to use.
Sophira

Post by Sophira »

And belated congratulations on the release, Sarah! Give yourself a well-earned break. :) Thank you for everything you're doing.
garfield

Post by garfield »

Sophira wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:55 pm It's probably theoretically possible to write HostFS for RISC OS 2, but it'd be more difficult both to develop and to use.
Good explanation, thanks to you. I guess if one was to programme code for Arthur / RISC OS 2 ... you would simply develop against RISC OS 3 (i.e. to benefit from th HOSTFS transferability) and then test the code separately by rebooting into Arthur / RISC OS 2 with an appropriate ADF disc image.
derek

Post by derek »

Hi,

I have compiled Arculator 2.2 on a Linux Mint 21.1 computer without any problems.

Very nice piece of programming.
Regards,

Derek
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

Not sure if its just me, but when renaming a configuration under v2.2 the CMOS file doesn't appear to be renamed to match, resulting in a blank CMOS the next time the machine is started.
davehill

Post by davehill »

Nice job with Arculator. I haven't used it before, but set it up last night and configured the networking. Works well. Very impressed.
BBC Master, BBC Model B, Electron, A5000, A4000, RISC PC, PIBridge, Piconet, and too many Raspberry PI's and now an A4 😁
dr_d_gee

Post by dr_d_gee »

I notice that in Arculator, what you get when you press the keys on a PC keyboard isn't always what you'd expect. In particular, shift-2 gives an @ sign, not a double quote. The £ symbol is not available, but the ~/# key duplicates the \| key.

I realise that this mimics the actual Archimedes keyboard, but it would be nice if, in a future version, you could implement the option of a "logical" keyboard layout much as BeebEm does.

Note that KeyboardMapper does not work on RO 3.11.
garfield

Post by garfield »

SarahWalker wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:52 pm Arculator v2.2 is now available.
Apropos of nothing... I noticed this bug while using the game CONQUEROR :

The tank controls ( key H to move left tank track forward and key K to move right tank track forward ) do not work if using ARTHUR 1.20. Certain other keys do work, though, which suggests that emulation is just slightly "off" in this regard.

I know the workaround answer would be to use RISC OS 3 or 2... (where the H and K keys work correctly) ... but I was hoping that Arthur support would be improved if possible to make the original authentic experience doable. Any idea of what might have caused this key input trouble?
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

I thought I'd give the debugger a try whilst investigating a game issue. Although it was very useful, it was also frustrating as some of the things I needed to do aren't available.

Here's some of the things I could have done with, that would have made debugging a lot easier/quicker:
  • Skip an instruction. ie don't execute it, just skip over it
  • Jump to an address. ie set the PC
  • Continue to an address. ie run until the PC hits the address. Although this can be done with breakpoints, constantly adding and removing them is time consuming when you need to do it a lot
  • Set ARM register values
  • Alter the ARM PSR (I needed to enable IRQ/FIQ)
  • Be able to "break" whilst in the debugger window when code is running (pressing a key for example). Having to switch back to the app to select "Break" from the debug menu is not ideal
  • Be able to use the debugger whilst code is running. Several times I wanted to dump memory whilst the game was running
  • Show ARM / IOC / VIDC registers in a separate window. This would be a real time-saver allowing you to watch the registers in real-time
  • Be able to skip all OS code. When you're debugging an app in appspace via the step debugging, having to step into every SWI and step through every IRQ/FIQ is very time consuming, if you're not interested in them. In my case there was an IRQ storm going on and I wanted to see where the PC was in appspace. After 2hrs of holding ENTER to "s 1", I had to give up.
  • Keep the command history in the command window. Quite often when step-debugging you want to hold ENTER and watch the instruction address, looking for PC jumps. When the command history is mixed in with the instruction history its really hard to see when a jump occurs when you're holding ENTER to step-debug

Return to “32-bit acorn emulators”