Inferno - Paradise Games

subjects relating to classic games for the archimedes and risc pc
debaser

Inferno - Paradise Games

Post by debaser »

Back again!

I'm trying to play Inferno from a disc image I made. I've got the game installed and running properly, using Arculator set up with an A5000. For some reason it only works on RISC OS 3.19, but that's fine.

However - my only two sound options are SFX or nothing. Music plays in the introduction and main menu, but I'm getting no music during the game itself. I tried adding a Wild Vision MIDI Max in one of the modules, but this hasn't made a differnece. Is there some config tweak I need to make to allow music during the game? I remember my old 3020 definitely had both music and SFX playing during levels.

Also, I found a no-disc patch for Inferno somewhere, but when I use it, I get "Signal 10 caught, quitting!" and the game exits. Does anyone know a solution for this? I don't care too much since I have the disc anyway, but I figured I'd ask in case it's a simple fix.

Cheers :D
IanJeffray

Re: Inferno - Paradise Games

Post by IanJeffray »

The author's here on StarDot, but not keen on hearing about hacks around the copy protection.

Check your PMs.
debaser

Post by debaser »

Thanks so much Ian - excited to get home and try it :D I did wonder if the copy protection thing was above board, but I figured it was okay given that (as far as I can tell), you need the original disc to make it work anyway.

Inferno was the first ever game I bought after playing a demo - my mum mailed you a tenner in 1997 so I could have it for my birthday! Did you make the music too? It really is excellent.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

debaser wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:41 am Did you make the music too? It really is excellent.
Not me personally. I'm the coder. Dave Flynn for all the graphics. Joe Nash for all the music - all original.
He's on MixCloud .... https://www.mixcloud.com/jowie/deep-tra ... ise-drive/
debaser

Post by debaser »

Thanks for the link - looks like he's still producing music which is right up my alley.

Had a chance to try the version you provided and it works perfectly - it even has both sound and music enabled at the same time, so both of my problems are fixed. Excited to try overload too, I remember seeing pictures of it somewhere (perhaps on the original Inferno disc itself, or the AcornUser demo?) and really wanting to give it a go. Thanks again, I really appreciate it :D
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

You're welcome. Pleased to have customer feedback. 8)
antom

Post by antom »

Would love a copy of Inferno - I thought I had one, but hasn't turned up anywhere yet. I did buy the iOS version when it came out though! :D

Return to “32-bit acorn software: classic games”