ElkSD128 - Recommendations

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

ElectronTubs

ElkSD128 - Recommendations

Post by ElectronTubs »

Hi All

I've bought (and waiting for delivery) for the ElkSD128k - it was the last one, and I choose this one as it had the Joystick port as well. (I'm selling loads of Amiga games, hoping for it to be "cost Neutral" so "err indoors" doesn't get on to me about wasting money on old technology :-) ). (Waiting for a Interface 1/2/3 locally and the costs of those devices was also a factor)

Is there any advice that people have on "hints to get started" with the ElkSD (other than looking at the manual :-)), there is a downloadable "archive" of games on the ElkSD128K page, so I was wondering if anyone has some recommendations on what would be best to look at? I've played the "biggies" on other platforms (eg Elite, Sentinal Thrust etc), but more looking for interesting Electron games, or games that improve on other conversions.
Last edited by ElectronTubs on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0xC0DE

Re: ElkSD128 - Reccomendations

Post by 0xC0DE »

0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
jms2

Post by jms2 »

You probably already know that the pool of Electron games is a subset of those released for the BBC - not everything was possible to convert, but most were. So the approach to finding interesting games is probably to look at what is popular on the BBC and then find out if there is an Electron conversion - and also whether that conversion is a good one.

You will find that anything published by Superior Software in the period 1985-1987 will be a high quality game, and one of the recognised classics. The same applies to the original Acornsoft games. Other notable games which are good on the Electron would be:

- Any modern releases from 0xC0DE (these are identical to the BBC versions)
- Jungle Journey, another modern release.
- Plan B and Plan B2
- Anything by Peter Scott, another programmer who originated his games on the Elk rather than BBC.

Some games proved hard to convert to the Elk, because of its hardware limitations. These might prove disappointing alongside the BBC versions, but it depends on your perspective I guess. Examples include:

- Repton games are slower and have smaller sprites within a scrolling window
- Firetrack is slower, less colourful and a bit flickery
- Exile has fewer colours and is a bit slower.
- Elite is quite slow (and monochrome)

These are all good games in their own right but you can really tell the difference compared to the BBC.
jms2

Post by jms2 »

Wow, I didn't know about those!
ElectronTubs

Post by ElectronTubs »

Magic - thanks all - hopefully it'll arrive today so I can mess about with it for an hour or so this evening.
raspberrypioneer

Post by raspberrypioneer »

ElectronTubs wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:44 pm Magic - thanks all - hopefully it'll arrive today so I can mess about with it for an hour or so this evening.
Bit of an old response but I recently acquired an Electron and bought an ElkSD128 which I think really enhances the retro experience. I've not owned an Electron (or BBC Micro) before, so did a trawl of the games out there and this is what I came across.

Ratings and comments are subjective of course! :) Most of my nostalgia is from the C64 so will probably be swayed by that. Hope this is useful to those out there looking for Electron games. I've added the joystick mapping needed. Quite a few do not map for me - I'm using the default address for the mapping code (&150), not discovered a better option yet.

Code: Select all

Program                       Joystick config                         Comments                                                              Rating with Joystick
Boulder Dash.ssd              Map Joy. Keys: * ? Z X return           Great version, esp with joystick                                      A+                  
Impossible Mission.ssd        Map Joy. Keys: * ? Z X return           Great version, esp with joystick                                      A+                  
Chuckie Egg.ssd               Map Joy. Keys: A Z < > space            Great version with joystick                                           A                   
Codename Droid.ssd            No Joy. Keys needed                     Cave explore, get stuff. Decent                                       A                   
Colossus Chess.ssd            No Joy. Keys: arrows return             Chess, beatable                                                       A                   
Electrobots.ssd               No Joy. Keys: * ? Z X return            Cave explore, get stuff. Decent                                       A                   
Imogen.ssd                    Map Joy. Keys: nop nop Z X shift        Explore puzzler genre                                                 A                   
Manic Miner.ssd               No Joy. Keys: nop nop Z X return        Great version                                                         A                   
Pengi.ssd                     Map Joy. Keys: * ? Z X space            Great version (Pengo) with joystick                                   A                   
Repton 2.ssd                  Map Joy. Keys: F C Z X G                Maze puzzler genre                                                    A                   
Repton 3.ssd                  Select joystick mode (f-byte)           Maze puzzler genre                                                    A                   
Repton.ssd                    Map Joy. Keys: F C Z X G                Maze puzzler genre                                                    A                   
White Knight Chess.ssd        No Joy. Keys: arrows return             Chess, beatable                                                       A                   
3D Dotty.ssd                  Map Joy. Keys: * ? Z X return           3D Pacman type                                                        B+                  
Acornsoft Chess.ssd           No Joy. Keys needed                     Joy mode doesn't work, slow between moves                             B+                  
Arcadians.ssd                 Select joystick mode                    Galaga type                                                           B+                  
Birdstrike.ssd                Map Joy. Keys: nop nop Z X return       Galaga-ish, quite addictive                                           B+                  
Boffin 2.ssd                  Map Joy. Keys: + > Z X return           Manic Miner type                                                      B+                  
Bumble Bee.ssd                Map Joy. Keys: * ? Z X return           Pacman-ish, quite addictive                                           B+                  
Camelot.ssd                   No Joy. Keys needed                     Dungeon scroller, explore, get genre                                  B+                  
Cops n Robbers.ssd            Map Joy. Keys: * ? Z X space            Maze, get stuff game                                                  B+                  
Crack Up.ssd                  Select joystick mode                    Breakout with extras. Decent                                          B+                  
Crypt Capers.ssd              Select joystick mode                    Tutankham type                                                        B+                  
Cybertron Mission.ssd         Select joystick mode                    Shamus clone                                                          B+                  
Cylon Attack.ssd              Select joystick mode                    First person shooter                                                  B+                  
Electron Invaders.ssd         Map Joy. Keys: nop nop Z X shift        Space Invaders type                                                   B+                  
Frak.ssd                      Select joystick mode                    Platform collector genre                                              B+                  
Frenzy.ssd                    Select joystick mode, enter FCC0 and 0  Stix paint game                                                       B+                  
Galaforce 2.ssd               No Joy. Keys: * ? Z X return            Galaga, Phoenix type                                                  B+                  
Galaforce.ssd                 Map Joy. Keys: * ? Z X return           Galaga, Phoenix type                                                  B+                  
Last Ninja 2.ssd              No Joy. Keys needed                     Good version. Not my cup of tea                                       B+                  
Last Ninja.ssd                No Joy. Keys needed                     Good version. Not my cup of tea                                       B+                  
Lode Runner.ssd               No Joy. Keys: * ? Z X return            Good version                                                          B+                  
Meteors.ssd                   No Joy. Keys needed                     Asteroids                                                             B+                  
Plan B2.ssd                   Map Joy. Keys: shift return Z X space   Cave explore, get stuff                                               B+                  
Ravenskull.ssd                No Joy. Keys needed                     Dungeon scroller, explore, get genre                                  B+                  
Snapper.ssd                   Select joystick mode                    Pacman type                                                           B+                  
Thrust.ssd                    No Joy. Keys needed                     Jupiter lander type                                                   B+                  
Way of the Exploding Fist.ssd Select joystick mode                    Good version with joystick                                            B+                  
Attack on Alpha Centauri.ssd  No Joy. Keys: nop nop Z X return        Galaga type                                                           B                   
Barbarian 2.ssd               No Joy. Keys needed                     Awkward with keys. Not my cup of tea                                  B                   
Beach Head.ssd                Select joystick mode                    Ok version, even with joystick                                        B                   
Blagger.ssd                   Map Joy. Keys: nop nop Z X return       Manic Miner type                                                      B                   
Bonecruncher.ssd              No Joy. Keys + > Z X return             Repton-ish. Ok                                                        B                   
Bug Eyes 2.ssd                Map Joy. Keys: * ? Z X return           Cave explore, get stuff                                               B                   
Citadel.ssd                   No Joy. Keys needed                     Dungeon explore, get stuff. Joystick mode is very slow                B                   
Clogger.ssd                   Map Joy. Keys: * ? Z X nop              Repton-ish. Ok                                                        B                   
Crystal Castles.ssd           Select joystick mode                    Collect avoid genre, isometric                                        B                   
Cyborg Warriors.ssd           No Joy. Keys needed                     Side scrolling shooter                                                B                   
Drain Mania.ssd               No Joy. Keys needed                     Platform collector genre                                              B                   
Football Manager.ssd          No Joy. Keys needed                     Football manager but no goal mouth graphics                           B                   
Free Fall.ssd                 Select joystick mode                    Float around, kill aliens. Fiddly controls (even with joystick)       B                   
Gauntlet.ssd                  No Joy. Keys needed                     Defender type. Difficult with keys (no joystick mapping possible)     B                   
Ghouls.ssd                    No Joy. Keys needed                     Manic Miner type                                                      B                   
Hopper.ssd                    Map Joy. Keys: * ? Z X return           Frogger type                                                          B                   
Jet Boot Jack.ssd             Select joystick mode                    Platform, get stuff game                                              B                   
Jet Pac.ssd                   No Joy. Keys needed                     Ok version. Difficult with keys (no joystick mapping possible)        B                   
Killer Gorilla.ssd            No Joy. Keys needed                     Donkey Kong type                                                      B                   
Lunar Jetman.ssd              No Joy. Keys needed                     Jet Pac type. Keys are fiddly                                         B                   
Magic Mushrooms.ssd           No Joy. Keys: nop nop Z X return        Platform, get stuff game                                              B                   
Micro Power Chess.ssd         No Joy. Keys needed                     Chess, beatable                                                       B                   
Monsters.ssd                  Select joystick mode                    Lode runner, Apple panic type                                         B                   
Palace of Magic.ssd           No Joy. Keys needed                     Dungeon, explore, get genre                                           B                   
Pipe Mania.ssd                No Joy. Keys needed                     Build pipeline game                                                   B                   
Pipeline.ssd                  No Joy. Keys needed                     Maze puzzler genre                                                    B                   
Planetoid.ssd                 No Joy. Keys: A Z space shift return    Defender type, not bad with joystick                                  B                   
Predator.ssd                  No Joy. Keys needed                     Scroll, shooter game                                                  B                   
Rubble Trouble.ssd            Select joystick mode                    Pengo type                                                            B                   
Sim City.ssd                  Map Joy. Keys: * ? Z X return           Sim city genre. Not my cup of tea                                     B                   
Skirmish.ssd                  No Joy. Keys needed                     Joust type                                                            B                   
Spy vs Spy.ssd                Map Joy. Keys: F C Z X G                Ok version. Joy mode doesn't work (need to map keys)                  B                   
Spycat.ssd                    No Joy. Keys needed                     Cave explore, puzzler                                                 B                   
Starship Command.ssd          Select joystick mode                    Asteroids, Omega race type. Bit hard and fiddly                       B                   
Strykers Run.ssd              No Joy. Keys needed                     Side scrolling shooter man. Slow                                      B                   
Swoop.ssd                     No Joy. Keys needed                     Galaga type                                                           B                   
Uggies Garden.ssd             No Joy. Keys needed                     Maze puzzler genre. 2 player game                                     B                   
Volcano.ssd                   Select joystick mode                    Choplifter-ish. Difficult                                             B                   
Xor.ssd                       Map Joy. Keys: * ? Z X return           Maze puzzler genre                                                    B                   
Yie Ar Kung Fu 2.ssd          No Joy. Keys: * ? Z X return            Karate genre                                                          B                   
Yie Ar Kung Fu.ssd            No Joy. Keys: * ? Z X return            Karate genre                                                          B                   
Zalaga.ssd                    No Joy. Keys needed                     Galaga type. Awkward keys                                             B                   
Elite.ssd                     No Joy. Keys needed                     Great version. Popular but complex game. Not rated                    U                   
Exile.ssd                     No Joy. Keys needed                     Explore puzzler genre. Popular but complex game. Not rated            U                   

Last edited by raspberrypioneer on Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eleccy

Post by Eleccy »

0xC0DE wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:06 am
https://github.com/Snuggsy187
I didn't know about these games from snuggsy187.

Only one seemed to work for me though which was jetpac (i'm playing on a real electron not an emulator)
Its a brilliant infuriating conversion. Harder than the speccy one. Runs blistering fast. Thanks for this. amazing to see these games i was jealous of on other systems making it to the electron. So far i only managed to get to level 4

With Blagger I can load it and start a game but cannot move left and right. Only jump works. Has anyone else got that problem?
Also when press break the prompt has turned into an asterisk. Have to power the whole machine off and on.
I persisted with Blagger back in the old days because it was the closest we had to manic miner at the time, it had numerous problems though, wierd collision detection, very slow, could stand on the edge of things that should kill you. i'm very interested to see this version.Wonder why the z and x keys dont work for me ?
ElectronTubs

Post by ElectronTubs »

Amusing, I saw this at the top of the list thinking ohh, someone else has got one - then I realised that it was my original post, and I'd spelt Recommendations wrong :-)

Can't help with Blagger I'm afraid. I'll try it in the next few days on mine, and let you know if its the same :-)
raspberrypioneer

Re: ElkSD128 - Recommendations

Eleccy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:43 pm With Blagger I can load it and start a game but cannot move left and right. Only jump works. Has anyone else got that problem?
Also when press break the prompt has turned into an asterisk. Have to power the whole machine off and on.
I persisted with Blagger back in the old days because it was the closest we had to manic miner at the time, it had numerous problems though, wierd collision detection, very slow, could stand on the edge of things that should kill you. i'm very interested to see this version.Wonder why the z and x keys dont work for me ?
The snuggsy187 games worked for me and Blagger works fine too (Blagger wasn't fun for me, too easy to die then start again. Manic Miner is much better). I'm also using an actual Electron with the ElkSD128. Perhaps the version of the programs are the problem - I got the vast majority of games from this site: https://www.everygamegoing.com/landingM ... ype/games/

On the ElkSD128 using joystick-keyboard mapping, has anyone successfully tried a different address to the default one ... from the ElkSD128 manual "Pressing return will accept the default location of &150". This works for many of the games but there are some which don't e.g. Manic Miner. I'm not sure how to work out which other addresses will be ok.
ElectronTubs

Post by ElectronTubs »

Blagger - I've now tried this and it works for me, left and right. Flipping heck it's hard though. The version I have was downloaded for the ElskSD site - there is a whole pack supplied, pretty much with every cracked disk every written for the Electron ...

I've not tried redirecting the joystick, I think as I've got older I've found keys much easier to use :-)
Eleccy

Post by Eleccy »

raspberrypioneer wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:38 pm
The snuggsy187 games worked for me and Blagger works fine too (Blagger wasn't fun for me, too easy to die then start again. Manic Miner is much better). I'm also using an actual Electron with the ElkSD128. Perhaps the version of the programs are the problem - I got the vast majority of games from this site: https://www.everygamegoing.com/landingM ... ype/games/
Hi thanks i didnt realise there might be different versions kicking around. I think i got mine from snugsys github page if i remember right. Link at top of this thread.

Yes that version of blagger from every games going works properly. What an improvement all around. Plays faster and smoother. Nicer sound effects. Much nicer to play than the original.

Same goes for snugsys version of repton 2. I had better success with a few of his games this time. Alpha centuri worked. The every games going version of jetpac had something going on with the banner at the top though. Lunar jetman wasnt quite playable. I couldnt lift off.

Great seeing these new improvements to games. Also noticed a few of 0xCode games i haven't tried yet. Will have to get around to that soon.

Sorry dont know about joysticks. Thanks for the tip where to download
raspberrypioneer

I like improvements to old games, sometimes ironing out problems or making a bit easier / more playable. If you like Boulder Dash and haven't seen this chat viewtopic.php?t=28372, worth checking out. I've got a bit attached to this game and had fun with a few others extending it. Worth a look if you like this kind of game. :D

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”