Many Imgur images to evaporate! Save them!

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the stardot forum
BigEd

Many Imgur images to evaporate! Save them!

Post by BigEd »

I see 353 matches when I search for Imgur
search.php?keywords=+imgur

It's not the case that every image will be deleted on Monday, but many will. It would be good if someone could download all the affected images as linked from this forum, for a subsequent repair.
baz4096

Re: Many Imgur images to evaporate! Save them!

Post by baz4096 »

I found 106 unique imgur images. There were duplicates because some were doubled up in quotes, etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lyeitd3y75y4gdm/IMGUR.zip

Give me a few moments and I'll have a list of URLs for the individual posts that refer to them. A direct database edit would be the easiest fix after uploading these to the Stardot server, but a list of URLs will give the admins something to refer to, whether doing by hand or not.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Marvellous - many thanks!
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

OK I can't currently run any scripts to figure out links to the posts that will need editing (I triggered flood protection in phpBB even with waiting 30 seconds between each request). I'll try again tomorrow, and failing that, I'll see about helping with a DB edit (if possible).
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

So the Imgur-pocalypse hasn't happened. It sounds like they were only removing _unused_ images - ie images that have never had views.
We are removing old, unused, and inactive content that is not tied to an account - meaning an image must be anonymous, never used, and never viewed before we would consider deletion on these grounds.
So in theory, the images on the forum are safe - for now. I'll keep hold of the zip I made available on Dropbox for the time being.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Ah, it's an AND not an OR. It has to be said, any image hosting site is a ticking time bomb - sooner or later it will die or become paywalled. Attachments on posts are much better.
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

BigEd wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:35 pm Ah, it's an AND not an OR. It has to be said, any image hosting site is a ticking time bomb - sooner or later it will die or become paywalled. Attachments on posts are much better.
Yeah, lots of potentially interesting images were lost from the forum when photobucket stopped being free.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

Return to “stardot FORUM”