Acorn - A World in Pixels - new (final) edition now available

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

markoceans

Acorn - A World in Pixels - new (final) edition now available

Post by markoceans »

Hi, just to let you know that a new, final edition of Acorn - A World in Pixels book, with 126 additional pages, is now available for the first time as a complete digital PDF download.

A discount code has been emailed to all previous idesine customers, so they can download it for free (extended edition customers) and £5 (first edition customers).

When we first published Acorn - A World in Pixels, we were delighted by the reaction and thrilled when we continued to hear from other notable people who we missed first time around, who also had a story to tell from the inside of the industry.

So to ensure these stories are captured, we have produced the Memory Full Edition, which will be the final edition of the book. We have ended up with a glorious 726-page book that captures even more of the spirit of the era. We have added new content, spread across an additional 126 pages since the Extended Edition, including:
* More than 10 new interviews with programmers and publishers, including Paul Fellows (Sphinx Adventure), Nigel Alderton (Chuckie Egg), David Hoskins (Ghouls and Speech!), Toby Butler (Who Dares Wins II), Veronika Megler (The Hobbit) and Steve Evans (Guardian);
* Extended features on
* The Making of Chuckie Egg, Spy vs Spy, Frak! on Steam;
* Imogen - Level by Level;
* The Secrets of Thrust;
* Exile Recollections;
* Remembering the author of Jet Pac and Atic Atac;
* Over 30 additional games are featured;
* Over 35 new stunning pieces of artwork including Aviator, Killer Gorilla, Fortress, Bonecruncher, Thrust, UIM, Exile, Clogger, Dune Rider and Swag;
* And much more.

This time, the book is only available as a digital-only edition and for the first time, the entire Acorn - A World in Pixels book is available in a single PDF.

New customers can order the digital book for £10.

Acorn - A World in Pixels Memory Full Edition - Details

Additions added since the Extended Edition:
Features - Making of Chuckie Egg, Speech!, Imogen - level by level, Replay, The Secrets of Thrust, Exile Recollections, Making of Spy vs Spy, Making of Frak! on Steam, Remembering David Rhys Jones (Jet Pac / Atic Atac)
Publishers - Bug Byte, Virgin Games / Mastertronic, Software Projects, Blue Ribbon

Programmers interviews - Paul Fellows (Sphinx Adventure), Nigel Alderton (Chuckie Egg), David Hoskins (Ghouls, Speech), Tony Racine (Kissin Kousins) - extended, Dave Woodhouse (Jet Boot Jack) - extended, Veronika Megler (The Hobbit), Matthew Atkinson (Tempest and UIM), Joey Headen (Cholo), Rob Dulstone (Anarchy Zone), Stephen Mitchell (Licence to Kill / Return of the Jedi), Ian Grimstead and James Wilder (Vertigo), Toby Butler (Who Dares Wins II), Steve Evans (Eagle Empire/Guardian); Neil Cannon (Plankwalk)

Games - The Wizard (Quicksilver), Arcade Action (Acornsoft), Space Adventure (Virgin), Plankwolk (Virgin), Ghouls (Micro Power), Cylon Attack (A&F), Swag (Micro Power), Gunsmoke (Software Invasion), Nutcraka (Software Projects), Bird Strike (Firebird), Blitzkrieg (Software Invasion), Drogna (Acornsoft), The Hobbit (Melbourne House), Tempest (Superior Software), Speech! (Superior Software), Imogen (Micro Power) - extended, Jet Set Willy I and II (Tynesoft), International Megasports (Audiogenic), Despatch Rider (Audiogenic), Crazee Rider (Superior Software) - extended, Spy vs Spy (Tynesoft) - extended, Anarchy Zone (Atlantis), Balloon Buster (Blue Ribbon), UIM (4th Dimension), Licence to Kill (Domark), Vertigo (Superior Software), Who Dares Wins II (Alligata), Devil’s Domain (Micro Power)

Artwork - Attack on Alpha Century, Felix and Evil Weevils, Bumble Bee, Countdown to Doom, Sphinx Adventure, Philosopher’s Quest, The Aviator, Space Adventure, Plankwolk, Chuckie Egg, Killer Gorilla, Fortress, Atic Atac, Jet Pac, Swag, Dare Devil Denis, Guardian, Contraption, Speech!, Lode Runner, Thrust, Jet Set Willy I and II, Cholo, XOR, Bonecruncher, Clogger, Exile, UIM, Repton, Plutonium Plunder, Tapper, Dune Rider, Elixir, Tetris, Repton Thru Time, Spy vs Spy

Magazines - Beebug

Venger

Re: Acorn - A World in Pixels - new (final) edition now available

Post by Venger »

Many thanks for this. I've just downloaded it :D .
Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak »

I didn't buy a physical copy of this because once the customs, postage and travelling to the customs place had been taken into consideration it would have worked out costing me double. So I was delighted that a download was released (I was hoping against hope that one would be) and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Spelt my name wrong though... :twisted:
tricky

Post by tricky »

I bought both the previous physical editions, but didn't get an email to download the electronic version of the third.
I have sent a PM.
fizgog

Post by fizgog »

tricky wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:43 am I bought both the previous physical editions, but didn't get an email to download the electronic version of the third.
I have sent a PM.

I was the same, but eventually the email turned up yesterday.
Pitfall, Gridrunner, Matrix: Gridrunner 2, LaserZone, AcornViewer, AcornPad
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I've just remembered to check the price of the Memory Full Edition having recently received an email. The discount code expires today!
And the good news is that having purchased the print edition it's completely free. Got there in the nick of time.
gazzafp

Post by gazzafp »

I now have both the first paper edition and this digital version. Dare we hope for something similar on the other uses of the BBC micro - programming languages, office applications, music etc :)
melchett

Post by melchett »

Well this is hugely disappointing - I have edition 1 and 2 of the books and both were bought as gifts for me. The person who bought them did not receive any of the emails (sat with them and checked Spam on gmail etc). And the rather unhelpful response from idesine is attached.
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-06 at 20.47.16.jpeg
Can anyone help?
markoceans

Post by markoceans »

Hi, I can help, please DM me. Thanks.
JC229

Post by JC229 »

Dang, I would love my own copy of this, and another to give us a gift, but giving a digital download as a gift feels a bit rubbish! Are there definitely no plans to produce any more physical books?
Dave_E

Post by Dave_E »

I just read the Memory Full edition of this and there's a nice interview with Melvyn Wright in which he speaks about the music compositions which he used to have and which he no longer has as his BBC kit is long gone. On the off-chance that he might read this thread I thought I would mention this disc (originally in the 8bs libraries) which probably preserves a lot of the work that he believes is long lost. He mentions that he wrote the Thunderbirds theme for the Amstrad CPC, which he may well have done, but actually the disc has got a version on it for the Beeb too, as well as all the greats that he mentions.

https://www.everygamegoing.com/litem/Me ... emos/1466/
melchett

Post by melchett »

markoceans wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:45 pm Hi, I can help, please DM me. Thanks.
Thank you Mark - actually a few email interactions from idesine and the person who bought them resolved it - actually a second perfect interaction and I am super happy.
Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

markoceans wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:29 pm
Have you have any joy with getting the PDF to work on Amazon Kindles ?
or am i going to have to hack the DRM ?
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

Don’t Panic and Always Carry a Towel
B3_B3_B3

Post by B3_B3_B3 »

This is a great book.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”