Code Snippets Cookbook - 6502 edition

handy tools that can assist in the development of new software
SyntaxErrorSoft

Code Snippets Cookbook - 6502 edition

Post by SyntaxErrorSoft »

Hi all, I apologise if this isn't the proper forum for this!

I've updated my paid Code Snippets Cookbook - 6502 edition. I've added a new chapter on using BBC Micro VDU graphics. It uses Kick Assembler as the assembler for the example; requires JRE (Java Runtime Environment). I hope someone finds it useful.
https://syntaxerrorsoftware.itch.io/cod ... u-graphics
tricky

Re: Code Snippets Cookbook - 6502 edition

Post by tricky »

Well done.
The thing that I think catches some people out when using vdu from assembler is that they forget that vdu is an os feature and whilst there are equivalents to some basic keywords, basic uses vdu but also sometimes does some extra stuff.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

You don't compile assembly language code, you assemble assembly language code, compiling is converting non-assembly language code into machine code.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
SyntaxErrorSoft

jgharston wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:07 am You don't compile assembly language code, you assemble assembly language code, compiling is converting non-assembly language code into machine code.
Did I say that somewhere? I'll fix it if you let me know :)
cheers,
Paul
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

https://syntaxerrorsoftware.itch.io/cod ... u-graphics
Hi all, I've finally updated my code snippets cookbook (paid version) with another chapter - BBC Micro graphics – VDU graphics!

It includes an example .asm program and how to compile it to a BBC disk image!

I hope you enjoy :)

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
nicolagiacobbe

Post by nicolagiacobbe »

Hello and thanks for the effort in writing the book, very appreciated.
In page 4 of the cookbook you say that the indirect jump using RTS uses 4 bytes less respect to the indirect jump: JMP (address)
"It is generally 4 bytes smaller, and 1 cycle slower than the indirect jump, but is less buggy."
But checking the code seems that the RTS jump uses more bytes than the indirect jump.
egrath

Post by egrath »

jgharston wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:55 am https://syntaxerrorsoftware.itch.io/cod ... u-graphics
Hi all, I've finally updated my code snippets cookbook (paid version) with another chapter - BBC Micro graphics – VDU graphics!

But isn't that correct in this exact sense? You assemble a program written in assembly language, but you compile together a bunch of different things into a working disk image. One of the things is the actual machine code produced by the assembler, but there's a lot more like maybe a !BOOT file, ...

(But maybe it's just my limited knowledge of english in this case, so please correct me if i'm wrong :? )
>>>>>>>>>>>Lets go
SyntaxErrorSoft

egrath wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:32 pm
jgharston wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:55 am https://syntaxerrorsoftware.itch.io/cod ... u-graphics

But isn't that correct in this exact sense? You assemble a program written in assembly language, but you compile together a bunch of different things into a working disk image. One of the things is the actual machine code produced by the assembler, but there's a lot more like maybe a !BOOT file, ...

(But maybe it's just my limited knowledge of english in this case, so please correct me if i'm wrong :? )
Thanks for the correction, I'll change my wording to something different, like "create a BBC disk image from the example" :)

cheers,
Paul

Return to “development tools”