LaserZone

developing/porting a new game or gaming framework? post in here!
derek

Re: LaserZone

Post by derek »

Hi,

I downloaded LaserZone and played the game for over 2 hours, on B-EM, really nice games, well done.
Regards,

Derek
fizgog

Post by fizgog »

derek wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:13 am Hi,

I downloaded LaserZone and played the game for over 2 hours, on B-EM, really nice games, well done.
Thanks,

Did you find any problems with it, or maybe you found it too easy?, how far did you get?
Pitfall, Gridrunner, Matrix: Gridrunner 2, LaserZone, AcornViewer, AcornPad
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

derek wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:13 am I downloaded LaserZone and played the game for over 2 hours, on B-EM, really nice games, well done.
It’s seriously addictive, even more so than back in time so glad I’m not with these thoughts!
derek

Post by derek »

fizgog wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:51 am
derek wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:13 am Hi,

Thanks,

Did you find any problems with it, or maybe you found it too easy?, how far did you get?
Hi,

Well as Rob says, really additive, hard enough for me.

I will have to get the real hardware running...
Regards,

Derek
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

Hi,

Just had another excellent hour plus with Laser Zone and I have to say I enjoy it more each time I play it.

I had a quick 20 mins on both the VIC20 and C64 versions before diving into yours once more. I have come to the conclusion that although both of the Commodore versions are significantly tougher than the Beeb version, yours is more playable and certainly keeps me engrossed for longer. I guess what I’m saying is that I’d sacrifice the extra difficulty of the VIC20 & C64 version for the extra playability of yours :-)

Today I managed to hit Level 64 before losing my last life (screen shots attached). I’d lost all previous lives prior to L31 but after this stage I was able to settle into a rhythm and keep going until I got killed by a vertical bullet from the IDS - this seems to be what gets you when the concentration goes!!

A couple of things noted along the way today:

- No crashes.
- Laser fire pattern now more uniform.
- After Level 32 the aliens are always the same yellow / white on all subsequent levels. Perhaps this is intentional?
- I still think the IDS could be more aggressive in its pursuit of your lasers but that’s just my opinion.

It’s interesting to see what others have to say re the difficulty now as well. I’ve play tested it for I guess 10 hours plus now so perhaps I’m not a typical use case and me keep asking for more difficulty may not be appropriate until others have had an opportunity to play!

Look forward to the next release with any other enhancements you add based on wider feedback and happy to test again! :D

Yet another superb achievement in delivering a great Minter game to the Beeb!!

Regards

Rob
Attachments
IMG_0435.jpeg
IMG_0436.jpeg
fizgog

Post by fizgog »

Last nights Alpha version 0.013 is now available

Fixed repeating alien sprites after level 32
Increased IDS attack

LaserZone Alpha 0.013.ssd
(21.75 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi,
This looks great!

One thing I found is if you press ESCAPE for too long it exits the whole game. Should ESCAPE only return you to the main page?

Mick.
fizgog

Post by fizgog »

Pressing escape from current playing game takes you to the main menu
Pressing escape from main menu exits you back to OS

So I guess keeping finger on escape will exit you all the way out, unless I can reset the key input inbetween

Return to “new projects in development: games”