Repton Infinity for Windows?

developing/porting a new game or gaming framework? post in here!
Phu

Repton Infinity for Windows?

Post by Phu »

Being a programmer, I actually really liked Repton Infinity and the idea of being able to "code" the behaviour of the game's sprites.

The problem with it is, it's slow, limited, and doesn't actually have the full capabilities of even the original Repton game.

For the last couple of years I've had ideas around writing a Windows version, with a full game/sprite/map editor etc, but with enhancements afforded by more modern systems and of course, faster processing capability:

* Larger maps
* More maps per game
* More sprites per game
* Game types (think collect-per-level (Repton), collect-then-exit-level (Repton 3) versus jump around (Repton 2) )
* "off grid" sprites (this would make e.g. spirits and monsters move like they do in Repton 2/3, including passing through dirt without affecting it)
* Sprite targetting - imagine being able to set IDs on sprites in the map, and have the code use it's own ID to link sprites together for some advanced effect.
* ... and a whole load of other things I thought of over the years.

I note that there isn't (yet) an official Windows version of Repton Infinity like the other Repton games. I'd be up for doing this if there was interest, though it would obviously take a while. I'd even consider a collaboration if someone else wants to write the game engine 😉

Any thoughts? Or is one elocuting up the proverbially incorrect arbor?
vanekp

Re: Repton Infinity for Windows?

Post by vanekp »

I have a feeling superiorinteractive will intervene others that have started to write Repton style games ended up working for them and where no longer allow to release there own version anymore.
But it would be nice to see a Windows version of Repton Infinity it's not been done as yet :D
Regards Peter.

Return to “new projects in development: games”