stardot ORG slow and sometimes not working

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the stardot forum
vanekp

stardot ORG slow and sometimes not working

Post by vanekp »

The site is extremely slow today and has thrown up a SQL error a few time for me is there a problem with the site?
stardotorg.jpg
Regards Peter.
paulb

Re: stardot ORG slow and sometimes not working

Post by paulb »

vanekp wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:41 pm The site is extremely slow today and has thrown up a SQL error a few time for me is there a problem with the site?
I noticed this as well, and it isn't a network problem at my end. Maybe the server is being worked a bit hard for some reason.
tricky

Post by tricky »

I couldn't even get on at 7 this morning.
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

Snap same challenge early today and again this evening.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I think there's some flood of connections coming in... seeing this counter keep going up, lots of anonymous sessions:
In total there are 297 users online :: 11 registered, 0 hidden and 286 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1036 on Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:48 pm
and a minute later
In total there are 341 users online :: 11 registered, 0 hidden and 330 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
danielj

Post by danielj »

The wonderful people at netnorth have, at least for now, fixed things. It is an external issue though :(
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Hurrah! Perhaps all those anon users were frustrated stardotters refreshing their pages, or something. That user count has calmed down now, anyway.
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

seems to be behaving itself now, its once again responsive when you click something, no 5 min waiting :D
Regards Peter.
danielj

Post by danielj »

DDOS.
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

Yes that did cross my mind as well, as it sometimes was fine and other times was totally dead.
Regards Peter.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

I'm still having issues - 21:15 . . .

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Yes, it's still happening for me here, same problems as have already been reported. Also I noticed (because as part of my unswerving policy to make life as difficult as possible for myself, and thereby never using bookmarks or anything like that, I always manually type the URL of any website I want to visit, but my brain hasn't updated to using the new URL for the forum yet, so I still ask for www.stairwaytohell.com/forums) that when it redirects to the correct site, Firefox gives me the old "secure site not available" http/https thing, which you then have to override, which it didn't do before today.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

danielj wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:47 pmDDOS.
Oh, the Opus one? ADFS would be quicker.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Still very slow here, just in case you haven't noticed !
danielj

Post by danielj »

I can absolutely guarantee that by the time someone reads it in this thread they'll have already noticed that it's slow.

It's external, it's not anything we can directly do anything about other than request the hosts investigate and block the offending IPs. We are doing this.

@beebmaster - I'm afraid you're either going to have to remember the forum address or just live with it. Or use bookmarks. It will be the redirect pointing at an http site. I've no control over that.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

BeebMaster wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:53 pm Also I noticed (because as part of my unswerving policy to make life as difficult as possible for myself, and thereby never using bookmarks or anything like that, I always manually type the URL of any website I want to visit, but my brain hasn't updated to using the new URL for the forum yet, so I still ask for www.stairwaytohell.com/forums) that when it redirects to the correct site, Firefox gives me the old "secure site not available" http/https thing, which you then have to override, which it didn't do before today.
Just search for “StarDot forum”, it’s the first result normally… :wink:

Mark
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Well, interestingly, I did it again just now, and I didn't get the "insecure" screen from Firefox, it went straight to the forum. So in that respect, something has "improved".
sweh

Post by sweh »

BeebMaster wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:12 am Well, interestingly, I did it again just now, and I didn't get the "insecure" screen from Firefox, it went straight to the forum. So in that respect, something has "improved".
My guess is that during the attack you entered a "bare" URL (without http or https prefix), so firefox attempted to auto-upgrade to https, but that took too long 'cos of the attack, and so firefox considered that a failure and printed the warning telling you it was going to the insecure http site instead.
Rgds
Stephen
Kweepa

Post by Kweepa »

danielj wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:47 pmDDOS.
We need to strike back!
forummania.jpg
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

sweh wrote:…attack…
attack…? :shock:

Sounds dramatic to us non-internet savvy types…? :-k
sweh

Post by sweh »

Yes, attack.

DDoS means "Distributed Denial of Service". It's a pretty self descriptive phrase. For a website suffering under a DDoS it means someone is trying to stop the web server from serving pages.

Typically this is done via resource starvation; send more requests to a website than it can handle. Now the site is spending all of its time trying to respond to the bad requests and has no time to handle real user requests. This sounds like the sort of stuff we saw here (based on what people have said and the high "guest" numbers).

Another sort of DDoS is to try and use up all the network bandwidth. This is normally overkill, especially for small sites like ours, but may be done on major sites (e.g. megabanks).

In the cyber security industry (where I work) we call this activity an attack because it is a deliberate action to prevent the correct and normal running of a service. It's literally an attack on the service availability.

Now the "distributed" nature of a DDoS is normally achieved by using a "bot army". These are typically compromised machines; they could be other compromised web servers or (more frequently) compromised desktops. There's a lot of Windows malware that exists solely to "recruit" desktops into bot armies. The desktop owner doesn't even know it's happened! The malware just listens for instructions sent from a C3 (aka CCC - Command and Control Center) and performs actions accordingly.

It's really cheap as well; if you know where to look you can hire small bot networks for a few dollars. A site like ours wouldn't need a large bot army. And because armies can change IP addresses (just change what compromised machines are used to do the attack) it's a whack-a-mole defense; as soon as you block the existing bad IPs a new set pop-up.

(There are commercial offerings that are smarter than just IP blocking; this is also an area where AI/ML is showing some worth in identifying attack patterns and blocking before the traffic even gets to the server).

Bot armies are used for more than DDoS attacks. If you've received email spam recently then it's probably been sent via a bot. And anyone who runs a webserver and looks at the logs will definitely see bots being used to run automated probes (no, I don't run Wordpress you dumb bot; you'll never find a WP vulnerability on my machine!).

I just don't know why someone decided to attack this forum. Odd.
Rgds
Stephen
danielj

Post by danielj »

Also attacked the Exxos forum by the looks of things. Seemed to be run from Amazon Web Services. Very odd.

Deep seated hatred of retrocomputers?

Edit:
I think it's a general attack on phpbb forums:
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=349000
sweh

Post by sweh »

Hmm. I've asked at https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2638941 (but my post is awaiting moderation since I'm a new user there). I linked to this thread and the rPi thread.
Rgds
Stephen
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

I had ddos issues on my website, I have no idea why anyone would target my crappy website

so I linked it up with cloudflare (free) which has a ddos protection mode and everything has been fine since
maybe it could help here too ?
Image Image Image Image
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

danielj wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:22 pm I think it's a general attack on phpbb forums:
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=349000
Hmm, well I’ve not had problems with the other “retro” computer phpbb forums that I regularly visit.

Mark
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

Thanks for the explanations. I saw Daniel write just ‘DDOS’ and Ian’s reply - I genuinely thought it was some kind of retro-related ‘in’ joke and that he was referring to our familiar DDOS mnemonic. Not everyone on here is necessarily a general computing technology ninja…. :-|
sweh

Post by sweh »

sweh wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:14 pm Hmm. I've asked at https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2638941 (but my post is awaiting moderation since I'm a new user there). I linked to this thread and the rPi thread.
And, apparently, that was enough to get my account deleted. Ummm... OK?
Rgds
Stephen
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

just possibly they have rules about posting links to forums? Who knows...
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

danielj wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:22 pm Seemed to be run from Amazon Web Services. Very odd.
Someone with a bit of cash and a grudge... is there any reason why it would be counterproductive to block great swathes of AWS address space? I can't quite think why legitimate access would come from a cloud service. (I don't like broad bans - sometimes people under attack ban whole countries, but that seems wrong to me. AWS is not a country!)
danielj

Post by danielj »

BigEd wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:17 am Someone with a bit of cash and a grudge... is there any reason why it would be counterproductive to block great swathes of AWS address space? I can't quite think why legitimate access would come from a cloud service. (I don't like broad bans - sometimes people under attack ban whole countries, but that seems wrong to me. AWS is not a country!)
Lots of PHPBB instances have suffered as far as I know. Some speculation it's a badly written search engine bot. The relevant user agent was barred and that seems to have shut it up.

Return to “stardot FORUM”