Anyone heard of the Dowty Mayze 24 Modem?

comms devices, modems, serial links, terminal software, BBS's, memories from the past, Prestel/Micronet etc
marrold

Anyone heard of the Dowty Mayze 24 Modem?

Post by marrold »

A friend has found a bunch of Dowty Mayze 24 Modems and I'm having a hard time finding much out about them. I'm mostly interested in when they were released, and if they were common place?

There is some info here - https://www.casecomms.com/product-overv ... ged-modem/

Dating them is proving a bit of a mystery. V.21, V.22, V.22bis, V.23 are mid-80s protocols, although v.42bis is 1989. The manual on the page linked above is dated 1996, but there's mention of them elsewhere in articles dating from 1992.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks
sweh

Re: Anyone heard of the Dowty Mayze 24 Modem?

Post by sweh »

https://techmonitor.ai/technology/dowty ... _an_option

Dated April 10, 1989

"Dowty is also taking further steps to integrate modems from Mayze Systems, bought in January (CI No 1,091)"

BITD I had a Dowty modem that was Telebit compatible; spoofed UUCP.
Rgds
Stephen
brianmartin_2001

Post by brianmartin_2001 »

Not familiar with it Matthew. Is it similar to the Quattro modem by Dowty?
I assume you are planning to utilise this to some level. Is your BBS project moving forward still ?

Brian
Sysop of (the Night Owl BBS) nightowlbbs.ddns.net:6400
marrold

Post by marrold »

Thanks for the link Stephen, certainly sounds like very late 80s or early 90s.
Not familiar with it Matthew. Is it similar to the Quattro modem by Dowty?
I assume you are planning to utilise this to some level. Is your BBS project moving forward still ?
They're similar feature wise as far as I know yes. And now you mention it, the buttons and LEDs seem to be identical. I wonder if its the same hardware inside.

The BBS project stalled somewhat as I've been searching for suitable modems. These are the closest I've got so far and 1990s is a little late, but probably good enough, at least to get started.

I'm hoping to go to the Econet event at TNMOC in May, which means I'll be getting the BBCs out in the next month or two and might get chance to experiment again.

Cheers
scruss

Post by scruss »

Thought I recognized the logo. If you've flown in a turboprop plane, the propellers most likely have a Dowty logo on them
skipzoid

Post by skipzoid »

Take the lid off and have a look at the date codes on the IC's that will give you a pretty good idea of its age.

There might even be some details on the silk screen.
marrold

Post by marrold »

I've got my hands on one now, and can confirm they're 1989 - 1990ish

Silkscreen is 1989, Most of the data codes on the chips are 1989, and the stickers inside with the assembly date vary from 1989-1990.

I couldn't find any "proof" that they're re-badge quattro boards though.
sweh

Post by sweh »

marrold wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:03 am I couldn't find any "proof" that they're re-badge quattro boards though.
I doubt it is; given the Dowty purchase of Mayze happened in Jan 1989, I expect it's the last generation Mayze modem.
Rgds
Stephen

Return to “communications”