Review wanted

request software or documentation that you can't find online
ajg1971

Review wanted

Post by ajg1971 »

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a scan of a review for Dotsoft's game Partner Whist (also know as Whist) from A&B Computing. I know it was in vol 2 no 9 of A%B Computing (September 1985).

I know I could buy the issues online, but I'm a bit loath to buy something just to access one page of one magazine.

Thanks
RobC

Re: Review wanted

Post by RobC »

Here you go:
Whist review A&B Sept 85.png
iamaran

Post by iamaran »

If you fancy a game of Whist and can't find three other people with the same inclinations then this program is for you. The program plays all three other hands, including your partner, and keeps a running score of tricks and hands. The graphical representation of the playing cars is as good as any that I have seen and the program's standard of card play seems quite reasonable (with the occasional blunder to maintain one's faith in the superiority of human intelligence!)

If you press ? before it's your turn to play the program will advise you on a card to play. The same key on any other player's move will induce him or her to reveal all their cards - something which human players may be reluctant to do. Another feature which is useful for practice is that you can replay a hand as often as you wish until you get it right.

A Whist program is rather simple compared with Bridge, Chess or Go and this one fits into Mode 1 with the program written entirely in Basic. Nevertheless, this program provides some entertainment and useful practice in the basics of card play.

JE

Graphics 80%
Documentation 70%
Value For Money 75%
Overall 70%
All of Dotsoft's games are currently missing from http://bbcmicro.co.uk/.
ajg1971

Post by ajg1971 »

That's fantastic. Thanks very much!
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Hi, ajg1971, do you have the game? If so would you be able to make it available to us to archive? We're always on the lookout for lost games.

Return to “archive requests”