Afterburner

suggest games that you’ve always wanted to see on acorn platforms
AJW

Afterburner

Post by AJW »

Remember this from the arcade? Extremely difficult but maybe the home versions were easier.
Ronin47

Re: Afterburner

Post by Ronin47 »

I did like Afterburner, but my preference was for Space Harrier.

I also liked Outrun too, I think those were my favourite Sega cabs.

I have a Sega Saturn and they are all very well represented there.
dangardner

Post by dangardner »

I liked Afterburner and Outrun too but G-LOC: Air Battle (later Afterburner spin-off) on the R360 at London's Trocadero in 1991 was one of the really stand-out gaming experiences ever for me.
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

Awwww, was hoping someone was going to say they were attempting a Beeb conversion! :lol:
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

I honestly think that those sort of games would be some of the most challenging from a Beeb-conversion perspective. You have lots of large sprites that move around rapidly and need to be redrawn every frame, and we don't have any sprite hardware. Even with very optimised sprite routines I can't see how you would be able to read and write enough data per frame to and from the screen.

The other issue is that the 8-bit conversions are generally just ... not as good as the originals, by a wide margin. If you look at the ZX Spectrum Afterburner port it's ... functional. C64 looks a little better. Amiga and ST could be enjoyable. Then you look at the Arcade original and there's still a world of difference.

I mean if anyone wants to attempt a conversion I'll cheer you on ... but there are many more games that are better candidates for a port to the Beeb!

Return to “new ideas wishlist & general chat”