High Score Challenge - S19 - R10 - Omega Orb

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
Venger

Re: High Score Challenge - S19 - R10 - Omega Orb

Post by Venger »

Cybershark wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:21 pm I could accept the brutality of some of the rooms if only a bit more direction were given.

Used the Duty Free now but, once I got through exploring that area, I was stymied again. There are only a couple of places to use things and I swear I've tried them all!

](*,)

Curious if you've been able to get the second lift to raise?
What 2nd lift? I've used things like the boarding pass, 5 drachma coin, whistle, power cube, empty can, lever, lift pass 1, laser card, infoholder, passprog and I was on my way back for the quadlink but I died before getting there. The game is too stingy with energy and credits and you don't get energy for using items, unlike a lot of other Peter Scott games that we've played. I haven't used the duty free yet either.
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

Here's where I'm at.

18410.PNG
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

And I'm a little further. Didn't know what can you were talking about Venger but have seen that now and the Quadlink.
OmegaOrb-7.png
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

After this attempt I discovered some new territory but didn't manage to get back to some of my familiar places. Frustrating to buy another life only to see it wiped out in seconds.
23-25-19535.PNG
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Rod C wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:09 pm Frustrating to buy another life only to see it wiped out in seconds.
Yup, I've been there, done that Rod......

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
FourthStone

Post by FourthStone »

Placeholder score... not sure I'll have the time to play through this one.

Score: ?
OmegaOrb_2023.PNG
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

FourthStone wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:35 pm Placeholder score... not sure I'll have the time to play through this one.
Score: ?
Score for this will be 22. We're multiplying core x info (number of places visited) for score but where a zero is involved, it will be just the score of the one item.

Rod C

Post by Rod C »

A little better but I'm running out of ideas. :roll:

24-25-17210.PNG
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Rod C wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:12 pm A little better but I'm running out of ideas. :roll:
From the look of your score, you're missing 2 locations you've not visited in this game.....and that's just the first part to warm you up to how difficult it gets.

Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

Rod C wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:12 pmI'm running out of ideas. :roll:
I was definitely in the same boat after seemingly trying every item I could get my hands on at a couple of the terminals. Was even considering going back to try them all in the teleport terminals - before finally throwing the towel in - when I suddenly found that I'd obviously omitted one item from by testing as I suddenly opened up terminal 4 and was able to get on a real roll from there. Immediately found use for another obscure object, found another code, core piece and many more rooms. Think I know what to do with a couple more objects too!
Rod C wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:09 pmI discovered some new territory but didn't manage to get back to some of my familiar places.
This is going to be the big problem. Knowing what to do (and where to go) is only half of the battle! :lol: :lol: :lol:
maniacminer

Post by maniacminer »

What is the deadline for participation?
Big Model B Econet,Master 512,Electron,A3000,A540,Atom,Unilab 3-Chip Plus,6502,Z80,65C816,80186,32016,Matchbox,ARM7TDMI,Master 10/100,PiCoPro,Teletext,Music500,PiSCSI,Challenger3,Gotek,VideoNuLA,GoSDC,GoMMC,Integra-B,RGB2HDMIv4,Epson LQ-850 (for the win!)
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

KarateEd wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:52 pm
Rod C wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:12 pm A little better but I'm running out of ideas. :roll:
From the look of your score, you're missing 2 locations you've not visited in this game.....and that's just the first part to warm you up to how difficult it gets.
You're right, Ed. I picked up a couple of locations in this run but couldn't get to one other that I know of.

Cybershark wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:09 pm
Rod C wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:12 pmI'm running out of ideas. :roll:
I was definitely in the same boat after seemingly trying every item I could get my hands on at a couple of the terminals. Was even considering going back to try them all in the teleport terminals - before finally throwing the towel in - when I suddenly found that I'd obviously omitted one item from by testing as I suddenly opened up terminal 4 and was able to get on a real roll from there. Immediately found use for another obscure object, found another code, core piece and many more rooms. Think I know what to do with a couple more objects too!
Rod C wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:09 pmI discovered some new territory but didn't manage to get back to some of my familiar places.
This is going to be the big problem. Knowing what to do (and where to go) is only half of the battle! :lol: :lol: :lol:
A big part of the battle for me is the brutal attrition of lives! Even harder when you swap an item in a difficult location and then face the prospect of having to go back for it if you survive that long! Looking forward to seeing that terminal 4! :lol:

25-25-24835.PNG
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

maniacminer wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:04 pm What is the deadline for participation?
I think this round finishes Monday 6th March. Unless we've been trapped in a time loop! Ed??? :lol:
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

Rod C wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:26 pmI think this round finishes Monday 6th March. Unless we've been trapped in a time loop! Ed??? :lol:
Am not desperate for another week of this, but that is when it should finish 😂

Think the total area I've seen is now about 80% but I don't think I'm probably going to get significantly better than this in a single run:
72% / 33%

omhisc.jpg
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Cybershark wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:21 am Am not desperate for another week of this, but that is when it should finish 😂
But we need to use the last week of this to put in new games for the next season......I'll work on the thread tomorrow.

Rod C

Post by Rod C »

Made a little progress but I still don't feel very enlightened. #-o :lol:

32-25-21875.PNG
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

High Score Table Updated

Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

Expected Venger to have completed this one by now but, as he's gone quiet, I figured I'd see if I could up my ante a bit.

73% / 41% :D

omegadun.jpg
Venger

Post by Venger »

Cybershark wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:50 pm Expected Venger to have completed this one by now but, as he's gone quiet, I figured I'd see if I could up my ante a bit.

73% / 41% :D

omegadun.jpg
I'll probably have a go or two before the round ends. As for completing the game, that all depends on how careful I can be around the nasties/obstacles. As I mentioned before, not all of them are avoidable :( . It'd take some stealth/ninja type tactics to clock it. Either that, or try and rack up a few extra lives beforehand. There is a screen right next to the chocosnack and dustbins where you've got 6 blocks and a baddy. Unfortunately it's very slow going and you lose energy naturally anyway (too fast for it to be an effective strategy).
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

Unfortunately, sneaking around only goes so far here. Layout of a handful of the screens is truly unforgiveable!
One minor saving grace the game does have is that you only need to find the four terminal codes that first time - once noted down, you can use them freely in any subsequent game. One thing I didn't like - and which I've never seen in other Beeb games - is the way that the pick-up/put-down spots disappear on you once they've been left vacant. Think this adds even more journey time onto what already felt like the directors cut of The Lord of the Rings trilogy :lol:

Anyways, I've retired from this one now and gone over to the dark side. Knew I'd perhaps only make a tiny increases (by legitimate means) but I was invested enough to wish to see it all the way through by any means necessary. Utilised an extra lives cheat and - after all that earlier confusion - the rest just fell into place. Wasn't a case of it being any more obvious where objects should be used, simply that there were very few places left to try them!

I'd struggled with direction early on, but actually feel a need for a game map in the end. Just made myself annotated screenshots of each of the terminal rooms as I stumbled onto them (and figured out what to do in each).
Venger

Post by Venger »

I had another go but got stuck with the ticket, chocosnack and duty free. I just wish this game was a bit less subtle with the clues on where to use things! I can see a bullseye in one of the rooms so I'm assuming you need a gun of some sort to use on that (which I haven't seen yet). The damned ion beams killed me a few times on entering rooms. It's one hell of a cheap trick that you can't avoid and they drain energy ridiculously rapidly.
Attachments
OO5.png
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

Venger wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:27 pm I had another go but got stuck with the ticket, chocosnack and duty free. I just wish this game was a bit less subtle with the clues on where to use things! I can see a bullseye in one of the rooms so I'm assuming you need a gun of some sort to use on that (which I haven't seen yet).
You're on target about a gun - as with the Drachma, Quadlink, that one is quite clearly signposted. Whistle I guessed correctly on, and Laser Card was obvious but, with most of the others, it's not even a case of subtlety - as there doesn't seem to be the slightest hint at most locations!

Did you still not figure out the Duty Free? That's one that's really not remotely obvious!
neves lanimret ta ti esu

Ticket is also one that makes no particular sense. Chocosnack is one of the very last items to come into play.

This terminal presented some real bullshit:

term01 stripped.jpg

I mean that looks (to me) like you're supposed to provide some kind of punchcard here, when it's nothing of the kind!

Btw, I wonder there are are any Aqua Teen Hunger Force fans here? My other half is, and couldn't help but repeatedly compare Blip to Meatwad (from the show) :lol:

maniacminer

Post by maniacminer »

I have played this in the distant past, I remember doing a kind of map using graph paper, writing down the codes and also the order of items and what terminal they we used at. Man, I must have had time to burn back then, I certainly don't now :lol: I assumed the game challenge was over when I saw the date at the beginning, but luckily (or unluckily) it isn't over :shock: I spent a lot of time remembering bits, then coming up blank when it mattered :roll: and then of course, forgetting about getting caught in the black square of death - when a baddie gets killed and you're just within the "sprite" the explosion and the clearing of the explosion kills you... The "press any key" caught me out a couple of times, I did use the patched version afterwards, courtesy of Cybershark [-o< It is an interesting game, a little rough around the edges, this is as far as I've got after around six hours of playing and taking notes...
Attachments
OmegaOrb.png
Big Model B Econet,Master 512,Electron,A3000,A540,Atom,Unilab 3-Chip Plus,6502,Z80,65C816,80186,32016,Matchbox,ARM7TDMI,Master 10/100,PiCoPro,Teletext,Music500,PiSCSI,Challenger3,Gotek,VideoNuLA,GoSDC,GoMMC,Integra-B,RGB2HDMIv4,Epson LQ-850 (for the win!)
Venger

Post by Venger »

Cybershark wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:37 pm
Venger wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:27 pm I had another go but got stuck with the ticket, chocosnack and duty free. I just wish this game was a bit less subtle with the clues on where to use things! I can see a bullseye in one of the rooms so I'm assuming you need a gun of some sort to use on that (which I haven't seen yet).
You're on target about a gun - as with the Drachma, Quadlink, that one is quite clearly signposted. Whistle I guessed correctly on, and Laser Card was obvious but, with most of the others, it's not even a case of subtlety - as there doesn't seem to be the slightest hint at most locations!

Did you still not figure out the Duty Free? That's one that's really not remotely obvious!
neves lanimret ta ti esu

Ticket is also one that makes no particular sense. Chocosnack is one of the very last items to come into play.

This terminal presented some real bullshit:

term01 stripped.jpg

I mean that looks (to me) like you're supposed to provide some kind of punchcard here, when it's nothing of the kind!

Btw, I wonder there are are any Aqua Teen Hunger Force fans here? My other half is, and couldn't help but repeatedly compare Blip to Meatwad (from the show) :lol:

Funnily enough, I did suss it out !tuoba gniffaf hcum retfa. It was basically trial and error though. There aren't any visual clues whatsoever! I do agree with your assessment on the terminal in the photo, but at least it does have a visual clue (even if it is crap). Some terminals don't even have any clues :( .
Venger

Post by Venger »

maniacminer wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:04 am I have played this in the distant past, I remember doing a kind of map using graph paper, writing down the codes and also the order of items and what terminal they we used at. Man, I must have had time to burn back then, I certainly don't now :lol: I assumed the game challenge was over when I saw the date at the beginning, but luckily (or unluckily) it isn't over :shock: I spent a lot of time remembering bits, then coming up blank when it mattered :roll: and then of course, forgetting about getting caught in the black square of death - when a baddie gets killed and you're just within the "sprite" the explosion and the clearing of the explosion kills you... The "press any key" caught me out a couple of times, I did use the patched version afterwards, courtesy of Cybershark [-o< It is an interesting game, a little rough around the edges, this is as far as I've got after around six hours of playing and taking notes...
That's a very bizarre core percentage there... I thought it went up in 8.33% increments? I've seen 0%, 8%, 16%, 25%, 33%, 41% and 50% so far, but never a 38%??? How strange...
Venger

Post by Venger »

Big improvement but I made a disastrous mistake at the start and left a core piece behind that I couldn't get back to!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I only realised after I'd used every item in the game too and had played for about 90 minutes :( .

Anyway... I can't get much closer to completing the game than this. I'll probably have another go before the weekend.
Attachments
OO6.png
maniacminer

Post by maniacminer »

Nice - I wish I had some more "Beeb" time, hopefully you'll upload a "walkthrough" [-o< - I managed to figure out Last of the Free as I had lots of time.
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

Aargh!!! I need more life! :lol:

40-25-36650.PNG
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

maniacminer wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:04 amIt is an interesting game, a little rough around the edges
Was this the last arcade adenture game that Scott wrote along these familiar lines - before he became the conversion king? Or was that Spycat? Never really played that one but I imagine it must be a bit more polished, coming from the Superior's stable.
Venger wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:23 pm Big improvement but I made a disastrous mistake at the start and left a core piece behind that I couldn't get back to!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Oh crap. Yeah, the starting area is just not somewhere you can get back to :(
Gutted for you!
Venger

Post by Venger »

Cybershark wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:19 pm
maniacminer wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:04 amIt is an interesting game, a little rough around the edges
Was this the last arcade adenture game that Scott wrote along these familiar lines - before he became the conversion king? Or was that Spycat? Never really played that one but I imagine it must be a bit more polished, coming from the Superior's stable.
Venger wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:23 pm Big improvement but I made a disastrous mistake at the start and left a core piece behind that I couldn't get back to!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Oh crap. Yeah, the starting area is just not somewhere you can get back to :(
Gutted for you!
Yeah, I was a bit (LOT!) gutted myself :x :oops: :evil:

Anyway, I've been back just now and completed the game with no slip-ups this time. I have the run on video, so I might post it on YouTube later. It's a long one though at around 1hr 27mins.

I did have Spycat on the Electron. I found it a bit boring and the puzzles were a bit obscure in that too. I got pretty fed up with it when I was younger but went back to it in my twenties on a rainy Sunday afternoon and completed it.

Anyway, my work here is done for the time being :D
Attachments
OO7.png

Return to “8-bit acorn software: games - high scores”